PDA

View Full Version : VX-7R Questions

rover67
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM
OK, by now the HAM regulars are probably getting sick of me asking all of these silly questions... but I have more.

UB was kind enough to let me borrow his VX-7R for the next few weeks so we are trying to figure out how to use it.

Now.. I know I need to read the manual, and i've started.. but I have one thing that's kind of frustrating me.

When Allison is in the house on the VX-7R, and I am sitting in the truck in the drive way on my IC-8000.. she and I can talk on 146.460 just fine. Each can hear the other and we can both transmit fine.

But, when we switch to 145.460 and try to talk, I can hear her (barely.. she can barely hit that repeater from our place in lafayette).. but she can't hear me. The VX-76 lights up and shows a full signal, but nothing comes through the speaker. We've played with the squelch, but that dosen't change it.

Is there a wierd setting that I am not seeing?

Also, (second question) can the power be adjusted on the VX-7R or does it always transmit at 5 watts? I looked for that answer in the manual but didn't find it.

Thanks,
Marco

nakman
04-21-2009, 11:04 PM
repeaters in general don't work well when the radios are right next to each other. Someone more skilled in the ways of ham can explain why, but my experience has been time and again when I'm driving right behind someone that the repeater is almost useless, while simplex works better. I bet if you started the 60 and drove away the repeater would work better.

Push the yellow button, then push the nuclear button that's two buttons below it. You'll see a little L1, L2, etc. as you keep pressing that nuclear button, which indicates power. Press the PTT button to exit that mode, then quickly press the same PTT button to see how many bars it displays. full bars=full power, half bars=half power, etc.

Uncle Ben
04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
The "enc" code needs to be set on your mobile. There is a atom looking key on the lower left of the HT that will control the output after you hit the yellow key above it to "shift" the button functions

Groucho
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
OK, by now the HAM regulars are probably getting sick of me asking all of these silly questions... but I have more.

UB was kind enough to let me borrow his VX-7R for the next few weeks so we are trying to figure out how to use it.

Now.. I know I need to read the manual, and i've started.. but I have one thing that's kind of frustrating me.

When Allison is in the house on the VX-7R, and I am sitting in the truck in the drive way on my IC-8000.. she and I can talk on 146.460 just fine. Each can hear the other and we can both transmit fine.

But, when we switch to 145.460 and try to talk, I can hear her (barely.. she can barely hit that repeater from our place in lafayette).. but she can't hear me. The VX-76 lights up and shows a full signal, but nothing comes through the speaker. We've played with the squelch, but that dosen't change it.

Is there a wierd setting that I am not seeing?

Also, (second question) can the power be adjusted on the VX-7R or does it always transmit at 5 watts? I looked for that answer in the manual but didn't find it.

Thanks,
Marco

Marco,

Questions and experimenting are hopefully a part of why you got your license!! No worries.

All of what has been said so far is good info. I will add the part of WHY the radio is not working when you are on the repeater.

One, on certain repeaters a tone is used, but not required. The "tone" I am referring to is a sub-audible tone sent along with the transmission to tell the repeater that you are in fact a legitimate signal and not just some stray interference or a signal two states away during times of great propagation. Some repeaters use them, some of those repeaters require them to be used in order to access the repeater.

Two, your radio has several squelch and tone settings for this purpose. One is "OFF", another is "TONE", a third is "TONE SQUELCH" and a fourth is "DCS". We don't use DCS, so we can ignore that one. Just know that if you see DCS on your display, you might have something set incorrectly for what you are trying to do.
OFF is just that, off. No tone, no squelch, nada.
Tone simply sends the sub-audible tone with the signal to the repeater.
Tone Squelch sends the tone, and expects a tone from the repeater on the output side of the repeater. This just means that your radio also expects the tone in order to know that the signal you are getting from the repeater is not a spurious emission or interference and when it does it breaks the squelch to allow audio to pass.

Now, if your radio has the setting to TONE SQUELCH and you receive a signal from a repeater that the person transmitting does not have the same tone sent from their radio, your radio (depending on brand) will maybe emit the audio of the other station for 5 seconds, maybe the audio might be very low or sometimes none at all. The funny thing for someone not familiar with this (Which I myself was not too long ago) is that the meter on your radio will show signal in, but no audio.

The key is, if this happens, try and quickly get to that menu setting in your radio, turn the TONE SQUELCH to just TONE, and you will again hear the conversation. You will still be transmitting the tone, you will just allow all signals to break your squelch instead of ones just with that tone.

The proximity between radios and the respective repeaters is an anomaly. IT might have to do with the different setups, antennas and such that cause this, especially if the repeater is quite a distance away.

Let me know if you want clarification on anything I've posted.

rover67
04-22-2009, 08:27 AM
ok, so it sounds like my mobile in the truck is not set right. It is not emitting the right tone to the repeater... right?

So that repeater takes the tone and transits it aftr receiving it and the VX-7R is looking for that tone but dosen't see it so it dosen't break squelch?

I'll check it.

wesintl
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
no.. just turn the tone squelch off.

Uncle Ben
04-22-2009, 10:39 AM
ok, so it sounds like my mobile in the truck is not set right. It is not emitting the right tone to the repeater... right?

So that repeater takes the tone and transits it aftr receiving it and the VX-7R is looking for that tone but dosen't see it so it dosen't break squelch?

I'll check it.

Sorta....depending on the repeater. Some transmit code some do not. The easiest way to know about the repeater you are using that I have found is google the frequency and read about the club that owns the repeater and what the repeater does.

Groucho
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
For example:

Rocky Mountain Radio League
REPEATER N0PQV/R

Output Freq: 145.340
Input Freq: 144.740
Access: 103.5 Hz CTCSS required(Input)/127.3 Hz CTCSS transmitted(Output).

In an attempt to reduce interference the 145.340 has been configured to receives the 103.5 Hz CTCSS tone and transmits a 127.3 Hz CTCSS tone.

rover67
04-22-2009, 04:04 PM
OK, I got it. Thanks for the help everybody.. I deactivated tone squelch on the HT and Allison was able to hear me on the HT over the 145.460 repeater from Golden when i was headed to the airport on the northwest pkwy. When she tried to talk, it was too far away for her to the repeater so I could only hear static. I guess the next step is to link 145.460 and 145.225 and try to have a conversation. After reading a little bit it looks like they are not always linked.

Uncle Ben
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
OK, I got it. Thanks for the help everybody.. I deactivated tone squelch on the HT and Allison was able to hear me on the HT over the 145.460 repeater from Golden when i was headed to the airport on the northwest pkwy. When she tried to talk, it was too far away for her to the repeater so I could only hear static. I guess the next step is to link 145.460 and 145.225 and try to have a conversation. After reading a little bit it looks like they are not always linked.

They are normally linked. 145.460 (http://www.w0cra.org/info/lee.html) machine is up near Robbie in Boulder.

nakman
04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
It's actually 147.225 that is linked to 145.460.. and you don't do anything, the linking is completely magic and done elsewhere, just like all the Colorado Connection repeaters.