PDA

View Full Version : fast, cheap, yet solid last minute roof rack ideas?

nakman
04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I sold my Con Ferr rack. And now I'm wondering how to get all our junk to Moab. Not pulling the camper, my options are use my receiver hitch tray thing, or throw something on the roof, or both. Sad to say, but at least we don't have a dog this year... the kids will take up most of the back seat area, then all I really have left inside is what's above the drawers. But I'm looking at things like a Pack & Play, huge baby bag, food, case of water, couple back packs, blankets, pillows, some stuff to return to Kevin, parts to sell..

I will do tubs on the receiver tray thing if I have to, but I have a history of forgetting it's there and backing into stuff. It can also be annoying when needing to open the back.... quite annoying actually. My other option is I can drive to Evergreen and get my Thule box, which is currently attached to my camper behind my folks' house. But up there and back that would be like half my weekend.. and take up prime modding the 80 time. I still have some things I need to do prior to packing.

So does anyone have any good "platform" ideas? I've got gutter clamps and cross bars galore, both Yakima and the ones Groucho makes. Or anyone close to me have a load warrior basket laying around that wants to go to Moab? Maybe I should look into the ATV ramp deal.. :confused:

Shark Bait
04-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I sold my Con Ferr rack. And now I'm wondering how to get all our junk to Moab. Not pulling the camper, my options are use my receiver hitch tray thing, or throw something on the roof, or both. Sad to say, but at least we don't have a dog this year... the kids will take up most of the back seat area, then all I really have left inside is what's above the drawers. But I'm looking at things like a Pack & Play, huge baby bag, food, case of water, couple back packs, blankets, pillows, some stuff to return to Kevin, parts to sell..

I will do tubs on the receiver tray thing if I have to, but I have a history of forgetting it's there and backing into stuff. It can also be annoying when needing to open the back.... quite annoying actually. My other option is I can drive to Evergreen and get my Thule box, which is currently attached to my camper behind my folks' house. But up there and back that would be like half my weekend.. and take up prime modding the 80 time. I still have some things I need to do prior to packing.

So does anyone have any good "platform" ideas? I've got gutter clamps and cross bars galore, both Yakima and the ones Groucho makes. Or anyone close to me have a load warrior basket laying around that wants to go to Moab? Maybe I should look into the ATV ramp deal.. :confused:

Rent a small u-haul trailer?

RockRunner
04-24-2009, 04:05 AM
I have a rack you can use for the trip. Old conferr too but no mounts. If you have the mounts you can use it.

Three Wheel Ben
04-24-2009, 06:26 AM
I've got a space case you can borrow, bolts onto xbars, like your thule box, but slightly bigger. And hanging in my garage. lmk

Tch2fly
04-24-2009, 07:18 AM
If you have crossbars, I say go with the ATV ramp

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/90000-90099/90018.gif

Tri-fold ramp (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90018)

I was very close to building a rack but with one as a prize at CM, I decided to wait a bit ;)

nakman
04-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Ok thank you for the offers everyone, I will see how the weekend goes and what I end up doing, will let you all know if I need something. I'm intrigued by the ATV ramps though, just 30 pounds huh? just drill holes through it to attach to the cross bars?

SteveH
04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
How about those nylon car-top carrier bags that strap onto the roof? They are frameless, and fairly shapeless. I would think you could strap them to two crossbars and bungee them here and there, and they'd be quite solid. Not good for hard/heavy/sharp stuff, since they don't protect the roof from impacts.

I just reread your original post - sounds like you need a trailer, based on quantity ;-)

Beater
04-24-2009, 08:41 AM
do you want to borrow my thule expedition basket????

gutter mount. You break you buy is only condition :)

I also have waterproof roof bags that you can borrow, which attach via straps to existing rack or the like as well as sitting in a basket/rack

303 nine o six 8693

Beater
04-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Ok thank you for the offers everyone, I will see how the weekend goes and what I end up doing, will let you all know if I need something. I'm intrigued by the ATV ramps though, just 30 pounds huh? just drill holes through it to attach to the cross bars?

or u-bolt to c cross bars.. I welded one together and it worked well. I forget who I sold it to..

Tch2fly
04-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm intrigued by the ATV ramps though, just 30 pounds huh? just drill holes through it to attach to the cross bars?

I planned to drill and bolt the sections together without the hinges but being able to fold it for storage may be a better option for some.

Depending on the crossbars you can bolt directly to the bar (Groucho's) or use u-bolts (Yakima)

timmbuck2
04-24-2009, 10:08 AM
CruzrChick has a gutter mount rack on her 62 that should fit your 80...just down the hill from your old house. You are welcome to use it.

T

Uncle Ben
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM

I have a Mega Warrior Hanging in the garage you are welcome to use if ya need it...

http://cache.autoanything.com/images/products/med/roof_racks_bags/yakima_mega_warrior.jpg

corsair23
04-24-2009, 05:11 PM
For even more options I have a rack (made by someone I can't remember but it looks sort of like this (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=V1ND0ZSIIVEF5LAQBBISCONMCAEFEIWE?id=0030692521626a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=2000710&cm_ite=0030692521626a&_requestid=72698)) that you can borrow and I even have one of those weather proof bags (NIB) that you can use to keep whatever is up top from getting wet if needed.

I use to use the rack with the Thule bars on the Durango and put chairs, tent, cots, etc. up there and covered it all with a blue tarp :hill:. I don't remember the exact size but probably close to the size of the one I linked to.

Anyway, you're welcome to use any of it and I think it would work perfect with the Yakima mounts and bars. And if your worried about looks we could remove it (mount, bars, and rack) all mounted together and slide it under the popup for storage until you need it for the return trip :thumb:

Jenny Cruiser
04-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I loved that AO. Best rack I've had. Plan on gettin another one. :)

nakman
04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I ended up putting bike rack parts on my Groucho bars, got the stroller and Gavin's bike up there. I think I can get the rest inside.. trip back should be a lot lighter it's just getting it all out there. thanks again everyone for the ideas/offers.

LARGEONE
04-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Tim...I have a ConFer rack I'm not taking if you haven't already left. I decided to use a Thule Box if I need it. I'm actually going to try to get everything inside to help with fuel economy. I know...what's the diff b/w 13 and 14 mpg!!!