PDA

View Full Version : Bill's wiring harness woes

Squishy!
04-25-2009, 02:12 PM
So i got a call yesterday from my dad saying his EFI fuse kept blowing. Out near Grand Junction. Uh oh. Turns out his wiring harness had melted where it passes the crossover pipe. I've been having trouble finding a harness for my mom to take out to him. If anyone has one that they dont mind cutting for the tranny-back sensors that'd be awesome. Thanks ya'll!

Justin

Red_Chili
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks son! I managed to cut out the melted part of the harness (on the side of the highway west of Fruita... not a great place to do that) and tape everything off, then get to Moab in limp mode. Actually ran rather well. I feel fortunate because it started blowing fuses at 1:30AM Friday west of Eagle. Can't believe it got me to the Junk.

I made a new harness out of what was left, and some Radio Shack wire etc. Now I just need a non-windy day to solder it all back together. The front came through Moab today. Nice now, if a bit cold. And dark.

By the way... you won't get me at the number Squishy posted... :lmao:

Uncle Ben
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks son! I managed to cut out the melted part of the harness (on the side of the highway west of Fruita... not a great place to do that) and tape everything off, then get to Moab in limp mode. Actually ran rather well. I feel fortunate because it started blowing fuses at 1:30AM Friday west of Eagle. Can't believe it got me to the Junk.

I made a new harness out of what was left, and some Radio Shack wire etc. Now I just need a non-windy day to solder it all back together. The front came through Moab today. Nice now, if a bit cold. And dark.

By the way... you won't get me at the number Squishy posted... :lmao:

Bill,
I can loan you a harness if needed....let me know...somehow. :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
04-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks, UB... I think I am good. Got kinda creative with the signal wires, we'll see how it works.

Uncle Ben
04-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks, UB... I think I am good. Got kinda creative with the signal wires, we'll see how it works.

Awesome! :thumb::thumb:

Romer
04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Bill,
Do you need me to bring something? I am leaving in the morning.

Ken

Red_Chili
04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks, Ken, sorry I didn't respond in a timely fashion.

This morning had no wind, so I set up the camp chair and the Noah's Tarp and coffee and spent the morning identifying wires and soldering/sealing connections.

Didja know that the common color for warmed over wire is brown? Not the crispy level of warm... that's black and crunchy... I mean when it has gotten warm but not melted. Pink with blue stripe becomes brown with black stripe. Red with yellow stripe becomes brown with black stripe... you get the picture. :lmao:

FORTUNATELY... I was able to peel back the wiring harness to the point where I could identify colors. And I have only two wires unaccounted for! :thumb: :lmao:

Capped off all the known unused wires for my configuration, plus the two mystery wires, and connected everything else. The harness is now routed far more reliably and all connections are watertight. Fired it up... no codes. The OBDII reader reports not enough time to completely monitor several things, but we shall see. Looks like I didn't toast any ECM heater outputs or sensor inputs, the inputs are sinking so that should help with the odds.

Fortunately for me... I camped next door to David Fritzche, aka OOPS on Pirate, 4x4Wire, etc. Some in his party had FSMs and Haynes for a newer Taco which was close (I have a '96 softcopy FSM for the engine, but not including the harness unfortunately). No doubt about it, I gotta draw out my modified wiring harness and record it for posterity. I've asked Mike Caskey about getting a copy but so far no joy.

I understand the EFI circuit a BUNCH better now though! Thanks all for the prayers/happy thoughts.

Romer
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
When I got to camp, I heard something about a snakster involved in all of this

Uncle Ben
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM

Just proves you can't expect a mini truck to cook corn dogs like a Cruiser can! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao:

Red_Chili
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I think *maybe* driving with the hot dogger in place changed the airflow around the collector just enough to make a problem. But that was not the source of the problem.

Still no codes... :D

Gmann
04-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Just proves you can't expect a mini truck to cook corn dogs like a Cruiser can! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao:

But it still wheels like hell!!! VROOOM:hill:

Tramontana
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
...don't cut the blue wire.

...or, wait...

...was it...

...the red one? :confused:

:eek:

Uncle Ben
05-03-2009, 04:10 PM
...don't cut the blue wire.

...or, wait...

...was it...

...the red one? :confused:

:eek:

or......... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yia-Ccq9-U&NR=1)