PDA

View Full Version : poll: ARB side fender bars

nakman
03-15-2006, 08:40 PM
This could be fun.. what's the Rising Sun board's opinion of those side bars from ARB? Every once in a while I run across this picture and think about those for a second..

Beater
03-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I am seriously considering something like them for mine. My front bumper is really an extension of the frame, and my sliders definetly are. The only reason I haven't bent some up is that I can't figure how to make a rear set and still get the doors to open....

subzali
03-15-2006, 09:11 PM
You suck. How come I can't get bling for my Cruiser? :crybaby: :hill:

Hulk
03-15-2006, 10:06 PM
If you aren't already out of the stealth Cruiser mode, building an exoskeleton will certainly make people wake up and notice you. That's one of the things I like about the 80 mods -- most are so well done that they could be stock. Not my cuppa tea -- but I'll probably dig them just the same when you do it.

Uncle Ben
03-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Guess they would be good for securing one end of your hammoch also would be a great place to dry wet clothes. I personaly don't care for them. They would help with mild rubbing issues but get a branch stuck between the bar and the body and major damage multiplication factor! On a hard side impact they not only wouldn't save much of the body but they would pull the bull bar back too. Now if you added the support bar that goes from one side to the other just above the cowl vent you would finish the triangulation and they would be strong enough to hold the body off a bank or tree. Sorry....you asked for opinions.....

Man Jerk
03-16-2006, 12:31 AM
I have heard that they need major reinforcing to actually do anything at all. In stock form they don't offer much protection. The issue might be with the running boards (sliders :rolleyes: ) One of the guys from the Wasatch cruisers had Proffits make up a set for him which were really nice.

I think they look cool.

Man Jerk
03-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Here's a link

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=30341

powderpig
03-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Tim, the tube is not very sturdy, nor will it protect that much if you lay it into a rock. It may actually do more damage. That is a big distance for tube to support the weight of the front end. Now if you cut a hole in the fender and attach the middle to the frame, more support. Want another hole in the fender? later robbie

60wag
03-16-2006, 07:51 AM
I always thought they looked rather flimsy. As mentioned above, I doubt they'd do much to actually protect the truck.

nakman
03-16-2006, 08:17 AM
You guys know I'm not really considering getting these things right? I just wanted something else to chat about! I do like their looks though, but agree they don't add anything. I like the idea of another bar swinging up over the hood that would be cool, plus if you took the hood off you would have ample support for a large rotissorie.. :rolleyes: ;)

And Hulk you bring up a good point about the stealth cruiser approach.. with this mod you may as well get the snorkel too. I do like the not all show idea, though that line gets pretty blurry sometimes..

Subzali- hurry up and graduate man, so you can join the working class!

wesintl
03-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I used to wheel a bit with a guy in the capital cruisers, robert renediu? He had these on his 80 and while I was skeptical of their worth them seemed to do a really good job. Obviously they can't take big hits from rocks and trees etc but your going to get damage without them in the same senario if you ask me. It keeps the little to moderate stuff from damage which I do think it works. I'd was actually hoping I could get or make a set for the 70. I think the biggest issue is the way the clamp is used to secure it to the bull bar. :blah: :blah:

I dunno if I like the look on the 80, I'd pull the fender flares if I had one ;) But I don't so I can armchair wheel your 80 :lmao:

Nay
03-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Ok, I voted Lame with a Capital F just for fun :D

Seriously, I'd probably rather have the plastic that can bend if I was going to have anything...but then again I personally think the first trail mod on an 80 (after ditching the running boards) is to remove the flares. This narrows the 80's body by 3"-4", and I've found that it can still carry a latte pretty well :D.

Without flares on an 80 you have the tires sticking out past the sheetmetal (especially if you go to a 12.5" size) providing your first and best line of defense. Bling factor is zero for most folks, though...but I think the 80 looks better without flares, so I get some personal and admittedly unshiny bling for a free mod.

Nay

subzali
03-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Hm...after reading posts from the more experienced looks like these aren't as useful as I've thought since first seeing the option. Good to know. Also didn't know there was a support that goes over the cowl, which is cool but if I had an 80 I would hope that I wouldn't plan on laying it over often enough to need all that support :eek:

My job this summer is going to pay for tires and shocks. No excuses.

JadeRunner
03-16-2006, 01:11 PM
...but then again I personally think the first trail mod on an 80 (after ditching the running boards) is to remove the flares.

Nay

That's makes sense. But, doesn't that leave your nice looking 80 with holes all over the place?

Nay
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
That's makes sense. But, doesn't that leave your nice looking 80 with holes all over the place?

Sure does, but that's where white is nice for plug color matching.

2badfjs
03-17-2006, 12:09 PM
i voted nay,

if your afraid to dent your rig.....dont wheel it :p:

Red_Chili
03-17-2006, 01:56 PM
They are CDMs.

Or, as Christo would say, Crash Damage Multipliers.

I must say though, the upper hinge tubing on the driver's side of the Chili has seen service as a rock and tree deflector, with gouges to prove it. I wish I had had one on the passenger side a while back, where a dent is now. But my tubing is DOM and welded in place, vs. the ARB setup.

I don't like denting my rig, and *I* wheel it...:Princess: