PDA

View Full Version : Live from Cruise Moab

Red_Chili
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I can't believe no one has started this thread yet...

Well, Perry and I were the first ones here and I am happy to say that my truck is live at Cruise Moab. As opposed to dead or in limp mode. :lmao:

The troops started coming in this afternoon and a fine time is fixin' ta be had by all. That is all at this time...

Beachboy
04-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Sorry, we have already been out here a week, staying at Kens Lake. We were out early to have our car (1957 Willys pick-up truck) in the Cassic Car Show this weekend.

Red_Chili
04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Well then you've REALLY been slacking!!!!! :lmao:

J/K. I love coming out early for the hod rod show and Saturday night main street hooliganism.

Beater
04-26-2009, 08:03 PM
just drove back from vail (from a soccer game, can you believe it?) saw two 80's heading out there.. kinda jealous

Convert
04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Pics are required for a Live at Thread,slackers

Romer
04-26-2009, 09:11 PM
The wind just picked up with some very high gusts which is keeping picture taking and socializing to a minimum. Course there is the Davidson's 31ft Cruiser

The Czar and Roc Dog
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Been at slick rock campground since late Friday space #10. Our first Moab trip decided to run a trail on saturday..
since it was close to town we did Moab Rim.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_00383.JPG

Holy crap they don't make forest road like that in Oregon.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_00371.JPG

Made it to the top and it started to rain. I figuire wet slick rock isn't good. So we roamed around the top looking for another way down to no avail of course. The rain subsided so we scampered back down and only knocked a bumper wing off my FJ. I had planned on removing the tupperware when I got here but forgot. It' off there now.

We heard of legendary monday adhoc runs and would love the opportunity to join in.

Thanks

Larry and Tony

wesintl
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
awesome. It's going to be a long couple days til thurs. Thanks for pics

bigbluefj
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
More please:D:D

Kevin

subzali
04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
yep, long four day week this week, waiting until the chance to run out there Thursday night. I'm sure Jacki is glad Moab is this next weekend (besides the part where I will be there and she won't be); I've only been talking about it for 4 or 5 months :rolleyes:

Need pics of 31 ft Cruiser and more pics in general!

MDH33
04-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Isn't it sacrilegious to show a *eep picture in the Live from Cruise Moab thread?? :eek: especially before we see any 40's!

Wish I was there!

:beer:

nakman
04-26-2009, 10:53 PM
So what's the internet story? Just up by the pool again, or everywhere in camp? Any cotton this year?

Uncle Ben
04-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Isn't it sacrilegious to show a *eep picture in the Live from Cruise Moab thread?? :eek: especially before we see any 40's!

Wish I was there!

:beer:

The slackers out there leave us hanging and when they finally do post up two small teaser pics one has a Chrysler in it.....WTF? :rant:

bigbluefj
04-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Well not to defend the slacker's, us no show's have to remember this is pre Cruise Moab shot's so there might be one of those J**p thing's around right now.. i'm sure they will redeem them self's very soon i hope!!!

bigbluefj
04-27-2009, 12:53 AM
someone need's to put a big brite sign up at slickrock camp ground so we can see it on google earth ...

RockRunner
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I am on my way. Some problems but we are OK now Save me a beer.

Uncle Ben
04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
someone need's to put a big brite sign up at slickrock camp ground so we can see it on google earth ...

GE is not a live feed.....only way you would see it would be if they just happened to update the Sat image while the event was going on.

nuclearlemon
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
GE is not a live feed.....only way you would see it would be if they just happened to update the Sat image while the event was going on.

if they do that, i'll flip off the satallite:lmao:

bigbluefj
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Not CM related but i'd figured i would post here drove the forty for the first time in a better part of a year and for some reason 30F seem's a little cold on the hand's with a bikini top on the truck...

JadeRunner
04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Is there just one Internet access point near the office? How far does it reach. I.e. I'm in a camp site near the back fence.

bigbluefj
04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
it should get to the cabin's i was around cabin 5 last year but it was weak signal..

leiniesred
04-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Moab rim: There are 2 ways up onto the rim. They don't officially attach on top and...I'll never drive the "minesweeper" trail again. 2 reasons. I think a boulder has finished off the trail for trucks and it is just too much exposure for me.

Uncle Ben
04-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Moab rim: There are 2 ways up onto the rim. They don't officially attach on top and...I'll never drive the "minesweeper" trail again. 2 reasons. I think a boulder has finished off the trail for trucks and it is just too much exposure for me.

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_worthless.gif

Hulk
04-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Is there just one Internet access point near the office? How far does it reach. I.e. I'm in a camp site near the back fence.

Doesn't reach very far. I'm in cabin 6 and no joy. I'm sitting up near the office to type this now.

Hulk
04-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Sounds like the crew ran the north half of Fins 'N Things today. Tomorrow we'll probably go do Porcupine Rim. If we have time, I want to go find Chicken Corners (I'm leading it on Thursday).

Weather is warm and beautiful. I'm sitting outside as I type this, past midnight, no jacket needed.

Cheeseman, Ken and Sarah Romer, and I ate at Buck's tonight, just by the entrance to Slickrock. This is my 8th Cruise Moab, and it was the first time I had eaten there. It's gourmet food! Unbelievable. I may eat there again this week. Perhaps the best meal I have eaten in Moab. :)

We hung out with the guys from Tennessee for a while. Woody and Clutchee made it in too. Drank a beer in the luxury Davidson accommodations -- very upscale.

My cabin is dingy and smells like dirt. I opened the windows and it smells less. Or maybe I am getting used to it already.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Shark Bait
04-28-2009, 07:18 AM
To echo what others have said:
http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_worthless.gif

Beater
04-28-2009, 07:56 AM
ok - I guess I will help you wireless weenies out. Here are some steps to make a reflector to help your laptops wireless signal.

go to the store there on main street, and pick up a small strainer, mixing bowl, or other bowl with as round a bottom as possible. If you can get copper mixing bowl, or stainless steel one, that's even better. Ideally it should be twice as deep as it's diameter. The bowl should also be at least around 4-6" in diameter. If not metallic, grab some aluminum foil and cover the inside of the bowl with as few of wrinkles as possible. working in strips is a good way to accomplish this.

Then, take your bowl and you laptop, and go to a wireless source. go online, and try and locate through google where your INTERNAL wireless antenna is located in the machine. Usually it will be by the hinge or on the sides, but often on one of the corners by a hinge.

Once you locate that, fire up your signal strength utility and position the reflector to where gives you the most signal strength. Once you learn that positioning, the position of the reflector will not change respective to the laptop. You will have to change the orientation of the laptop to find the best linear signal, but the bowl position should remain un-changed.

merry x-mas. you have now built a parabolic range extender.

j

Uncle Ben
04-28-2009, 08:08 AM
ok - I guess I will help you wireless weenies out. Here are some steps to make a reflector to help your laptops wireless signal.

go to the store there on main street, and pick up a small strainer, mixing bowl, or other bowl with as round a bottom as possible. If you can get copper mixing bowl, or stainless steel one, that's even better. Ideally it should be twice as deep as it's diameter. The bowl should also be at least around 4-6" in diameter. If not metallic, grab some aluminum foil and cover the inside of the bowl with as few of wrinkles as possible. working in strips is a good way to accomplish this.

Then, take your bowl and you laptop, and go to a wireless source. go online, and try and locate through google where your INTERNAL wireless antenna is located in the machine. Usually it will be by the hinge or on the sides, but often on one of the corners by a hinge.

Once you locate that, fire up your signal strength utility and position the reflector to where gives you the most signal strength. Once you learn that positioning, the position of the reflector will not change respective to the laptop. You will have to change the orientation of the laptop to find the best linear signal, but the bowl position should remain un-changed.

j

I think everyone should wear a reflector! :thumb::thumb: :lmao:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/elections/14922d1203442021-obama-illegals-share-same-message-n522306244_197290_3718.jpg

Red_Chili
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
ok - Here are some steps to make a reflector to help your laptops wireless signal.

go to the store there on main street, and pick up a small strainer, mixing bowl, or other bowl with as round a bottom as possible. ...

j
This sucks. It doesn't work. And I can't see the keyboard with it on. And Carrie just laughs at me. Sheesh.

But I don't hear those voices in my head anymore. Hmmm.

Red_Chili
04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Well I am up near the office doing laundry and brought my wife's camera and figured I would upload some pix.

Except I forgot the USB cable.

Yeah yeah yeah, yuck it up. I'm lucky I remembered the laundry.

Red_Chili
04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Well this seems to be the year of the Chili's revenge. Had some new clunks on Fins and I was scared to death it was another broken leaf. But nope... drag link ends (one of the few Cruiser parts on the rig... hmmm...).

Considering the run of loose drag link ends I've been finding in tech the last few years, the joke's on me. :eek: :rolleyes:

Fortunately Nakman is as compulsive as I am, and the used FJ80 TREs he gave me for trail spares are still tight and serviceable.

Don't go there Romer.

Inukshuk
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
If we have time, I want to go find Chicken Corners (I'm leading it on Thursday).

I wouldn't bother - its super easy to find. Just be sure to hike past the end of the road to the true "chicken corner", making sure to keep kids, dogs and anyone scared of heights away. Its a long way down. The reward on the far side is a view over both sides of the goose neck. For more thrill take the short detour to the start of the Lockhart basin trail - a moderately challenging canyon.

My cabin is dingy and smells like dirt. I opened the windows and it smells less. Or maybe I am getting used to it already.

Air that sucker out! Or buy some of those mirror tree things.

Romer
04-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Allright here are a few. Don't want to start you with too much

Mike on Kenny's climb

Randy and Sarah on other obstacles at Fins

JadeRunner
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Ok... So which way is the proper way? I'm gunning for Crase on Friday on it.

subzali
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Hulk - my opinion on Chicken Corners, just baha out there (it's quite a ways of basically a dirt road), over Hurrah Pass, say hi to the Camel Farm, then swing in, get a layout of the parking area, walk to the actual Chicken Corner, and come on back. Also try to research about the movie with the two gals running from the cops who drove their car off a cliff at the end - that scene was filmed somewhere around there and would make for interesting discussion for the participants.

Thanks Romer for the relief! More pics please!

Uncle Ben
04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Hulk - my opinion on Chicken Corners, just baha out there (it's quite a ways of basically a dirt road), over Hurrah Pass, say hi to the Camel Farm, then swing in, get a layout of the parking area, walk to the actual Chicken Corner, and come on back. Also try to research about the movie with the two gals running from the cops who drove their car off a cliff at the end - that scene was filmed somewhere around there and would make for interesting discussion for the participants.

Thanks Romer for the relief! More pics please!

That would be Thelma and Louise. Also, the gas station in Cisco is also famous from that movie!

Inukshuk
04-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Also try to research about the movie with the two gals running from the cops who drove their car off a cliff at the end - that scene was filmed somewhere around there and would make for interesting discussion for the participants.

Its across the river. "Thelma and Louise Point" is an overlook below the Dead Horse State Park overlook (visible across the river from Chicken Corners) and is on the road that takes you up the Schaefer Switchbacks.

nakman
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
hijack 1: "And if you look closely, you can still see remnants of Themla & Louise's car..."

hijack 2: You guys remember that Simpson's where Homer drove off the same cliff?

hijack 3: I was up on Porcupine Rim once, and made the joke "hey this is where they filmed the Coyote and Road Runner cartoons.." and some girl on a mountain bike said "No way, really?" and she was serious. true story.

[/hijack]

Ok back to the CM pics! don't make me come out there.... :rant:

JadeRunner
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
This just doesn't sound practical. As in how do you attached the bowl to the laptop hinge\lid and continue to type and stuff.

j

subzali
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
you don't have to. you just set the laptop as the focal point of the bowl and it should strengthen the signal. At least I think that's what John is saying.

Trapper50cal
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
NO... You must wear the bowl on your head with a chinstrap for it to be effective

Beater
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
you don't have to. you just set the laptop as the focal point of the bowl and it should strengthen the signal. At least I think that's what John is saying.

correct

prop it up with the beer can you just emptied.

You can also do this;
remove top and bottom from aluminum can. slice remaining aluminum tube lengthwise. open up the tube so that you have a "half pipe" and position for signal.

if you want to involve a soldering iron, I can show you how to make a fantastic antenna for directional snooping...

lol

DaveInDenver
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
correct

prop it up with the beer can you just emptied.

You can also do this;
remove top and bottom from aluminum can. slice remaining aluminum tube lengthwise. open up the tube so that you have a "half pipe" and position for signal.

if you want to involve a soldering iron, I can show you how to make a fantastic antenna for directional snooping...

lol
All of the guys who went through our ham classes should totally understand what John is shooting for. Bueller? Bueller?

85Toy
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I saw a nice big rig motorhome over at Christo's shop this morning with the cruiser loaded on a trailer. Looked like they were heading out this morning. I get to ride shotgun in Rob's 80 for Pritchett Canyon Thursday, better than nothing. As a Moab virgin, I can't wait. Any wagers on whether Joe breaks something leading Pritchett?

60wag
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
All of the guys who went through our ham classes should totally understand what John is shooting for. Bueller? Bueller?

Oh, Oh! Ground plane, right?

Uncle Ben
04-28-2009, 02:26 PM
I saw a nice big rig motorhome over at Christo's shop this morning with the cruiser loaded on a trailer. Looked like they were heading out this morning. I get to ride shotgun in Rob's 80 for Pritchett Canyon Thursday, better than nothing. As a Moab virgin, I can't wait. Any wagers on whether Joe breaks something leading Pritchett?

Ouch.....Nasty Jinx! :eek:

Uncle Ben
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
NO... You must wear the bowl on your head with a chinstrap for it to be effective

Exactly!

http://pro.corbis.com/images/AX048304.jpg?size=67&uid={B1388E74-1F8C-49CC-8E84-C87E854F4E62}

isotel
04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Anyone see this

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/281122-real-time-moab-parts-request-3spd-tcase.html#post4381345

Guy needs an output shaft for a 3 speed T-case, maybe someone has one!

Redline will be heading out Bright and Early in the morning! Cant Wait! See you guys soon!

subzali
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I can shuttle a 3 spd t-case out there and have it there by Thursday night! Does anybody have one available to send?

Corbet
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I think you guys need to start over with this "Live from CM09" thread. This one is way too short on pictures.

nuclearlemon
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Anyone see this

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/281122-real-time-moab-parts-request-3spd-tcase.html#post4381345

Guy needs an output shaft for a 3 speed T-case, maybe someone has one!

Redline will be heading out Bright and Early in the morning! Cant Wait! See you guys soon!

that's sean o leary...i posted in this forum. i've got one if someone can pick it up in denver and take it to him.

wesintl
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
your not going out now ige? I can take thurs. I have a few parts to take out to someone from oleg.

nuclearlemon
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
your not going out now ige? I can take thurs. I have a few parts to take out to someone from oleg.

I am going, but not until thurs.. sean's trying to find something quicker.

wesintl
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
gotcha..

Inukshuk
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
I think you guys need to start over with this "Live from CM09" thread. This one is way too short on pictures.

and start a parts needed at CM thread!

Convert
04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
The lack of pictures in this thread is upsetting maybe some evening camp pictures might help us cope with being left behind :thumb::beer:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

pics people pics

for all us poor folks :weld:

Uncle Ben
04-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Where is the love here? My Facebook is full of pictures from Woody and others but my "friends" have forgotten us! :rant: :(

Uncle Ben
04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Heres a bunch of pic from Mud.....

http://gallery.ih8mud.com/thumbnails.php?album=79

MDH33
04-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeeaaah! 40 content!

http://gallery.ih8mud.com/albums/2009-04_CruiseMoab09/DSC_1599_%28Large%29.JPG

gahi
04-29-2009, 12:40 PM
If anybody needs stuff welded, or just a place to wrench, air tools, mig, tig, look me up. My shop is south of town about 7 miles, in the three big white buildings. I also have a truck and trailer, I'm happy to help you out.

Gary
435-259-7446

Uncle Ben
04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
If anybody needs stuff welded, or just a place to wrench, air tools, mig, tig, look me up. My shop is south of town about 7 miles, in the three big white buildings. I also have a truck and trailer, I'm happy to help you out.

Gary
435-259-7446

Thats very generous! Thank you in advance!

wesintl
04-29-2009, 02:46 PM
:crickets:

subzali
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
seriously...

it's almost like they're actually out wheelin' or something...:rolleyes:

MDH33
04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I will admit that I enjoy the break away from the 'puter when I'm in the desert. :cool:

Uncle Ben
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
seriously...

it's almost like they're actually out wheelin' or something...:rolleyes:

Oh the shame of it all! Most likely having issues with no spares on any of the participants! :eek: ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

subzali
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I will admit that I enjoy the break away from the 'puter when I'm in the desert. :cool:

Yeah I remember when I'm at Cruise Moab the last thing I want to do is web wheel. There's too much going on to spend time even trying to establish an internet connection (for me). So I don't blame them.

bigbluefj
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM

Gary
435-259-7446

Some buddy should have told Gary i wasn't going to be there this year :D:D

Kevin

Rezarf
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Ahh, maybe someone could come over to my place and throw some red dirt in my bed, that'll make it feel more like CM.

Drew

DaveInDenver
04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Ahh, maybe someone could come over to my place and throw some red dirt in my bed, that'll make it feel more like CM.

Drew
I know the feeling. I've spent the last few days and evenings working on my truck like I was going to CM. If it's not one thing, it's another. But I actually drove it to work today for the first time in 6 days!

subzali
04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Are you going to make it Dave? Did you get the time off?

AxleIke
04-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Drew

I'm thinking as soon as the little one is old enough, we're taking him/her out and introducing them to the red dirt.

DaveInDenver
04-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Are you going to make it Dave? Did you get the time off?
No, I'm not going to make it to Moab.

nuclearlemon
04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
my ride will be here in about 40 minutes. a couple hour stop in junction and then i'm there:thumb:

MDH33
04-30-2009, 08:24 AM
What time is the raffle dinner Friday? I might be able to make it. I have to go to GJ Friday morning, but should be able to get to Moab by Friday afternoon and stay 'til Sunday.

bigbluefj
04-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Well with the start of the event today i'm hoping this live from cruise Moab thread will have more picture's :rant::rant::blah::blah::D:mad::mad:

JadeRunner
04-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Ok, I made it a point to get somthoing posted for you guys this morning. I know how it is not being at the event.

Wed. I gathered up 2 other guys and hit Hellís Revenge right after 8am tech and registration. It was Matt Ralsten and Jake. I had just met Jake the night before. He has a well built 3rd gen runner on 35s. Jake and I took Hells gate and we all took tip over challenge. Passed on the escalator. Having new rubber (MTZís) and the crawler this year made the slickrock quite fun\easy and grippy. Tom R. was behind us a ways on the trail and he had 7 others. And Robbie was behind them leading an FJ crew. Tom had a guy from Missoula in a 3rd gen runner break an a-arm component which had to be welded back up to get off the trail. And evidentially Robbie had his hands full with a few of the FJ guys getting ďoff-lineĒ on Hells Gate. I believe there were some adrenaline moments for them.

My group hit town at noon. They didnít want to keep on so I took off up Kane Creek. I wanted to check out Cliff Hanger. I went down some big obstacles at the beginning toward the creek and elected to turn around since I was by myself and didnít see a lot of winch points. Evidentially that first section has some of the more difficult sections of the trail but I made it back up ok with some motorcycle onlookers watching in amazement. So then I ran Kane Creek. That was a sweet trail with a few good obstacles that could give people trouble. Nice canyon run. Made it back by 4:45. I'm having a blast. More to come.

The 3rd pic is Kane creek - the rest are of Hell's.

Uncle Ben
04-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Thank you Scott! Fun pix and the narrative helps make it feel like we homebodys are part of it! Good on ya mate!

DaveInDenver
04-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Nice pics Scott. Thanks, makes me both jealous and happy!

Bighead
04-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Scott...is that Jake from New Mexico? If so, we ran some Moab trails last year together...nice guy.

bigbluefj
04-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Cool man with the start of the event i think picture's will be rolling in soon thank's guy's

AxleIke
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Scott...is that Jake from New Mexico? If so, we ran some Moab trails last year together...nice guy.

Yup. That is Jake from NM. Crash did OCG with him last fall when I caught Pneumonia. Was totally bummed that I missed that trip. :(

The Czar and Roc Dog
05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Here's some photos from kane creek yesterday.
And a few from potato Salad Hill.
http://picasaweb.google.com/larryfellows/KaneCreekAndPotatoeSaladHill?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzxvpCZseXf-AE

BTW does anyone know how to link photos from Google picasa so they appear in forum posts??

See you on Poison Spider.
Crazy Larry

Bighead
05-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I right-clicked on the big photo and selected "Copy Image Location"...then went "Post Reply", selected "Insert Image" and put the Picasa address in the box.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KuFoC9qbVt8/SfryVvxfPaI/AAAAAAAAAnk/a73wd620PAw/s1024/DSC_0017.JPG

JadeRunner
05-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Yep, that is him. He did drove quite well and is well built.

JadeRunner
05-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I gunned for Tom R. on Behind the Rocks Thursday. We only had an 80 and two FJís. Everyone had built rigs and was experienced so everything went well. We were behind a group of jeeps so we even had time to play on some optional obstacles. Only Tom went down Nose Dive and we all turned around before White Knuckle. Which as you can see from the picture at the end is quite large now. Tom put his rig on his side going up upchuck but he just drove out of it. I got stuck in an optional obstacle and had to have someone winch me out. Note to self have your winch controller ready before you take the obstacle. I was unable to open my rear door to get to it due to the rock on the side. We hit the pavement at 4pm which was a lot earlier that a lot of folks that day so that was good.

More good times were had by all again last night. Ige was trying to round up money to go into town to get a Rising Sun tattoo. Not sure if she made it or not.

Iím gunning Moab Rim for Crase today.

JadeRunner
05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I have some great video of our Hell's Revenge run also. I was able to show it to everyone last night as well as view a bunch of peoples pictures. That was fun.

Here are a few more pictures since there's no need to skimp.

RedCreeper
05-01-2009, 02:27 PM
That is awsome gang! I can't believe how much has changed since i was last there. Nose Dive never looked like that when I went down many moons ago. Moab is one of the many reasons i moved here. I am going bald here looking at the PICs. Just want get over there and wheel. aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe next year if i can get a toy i can use. mmmmmm
Be safe

JadeRunner
05-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I just typed up a post and hit a wrong key and lost it. No time for storys cause I have to get to the trailhead. Here is moab rim.

JadeRunner
05-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Here are two more. We did have someone flip over coming down the last obstacle on the rim. My camera was broken at that point though because I fell on it so no pics of that. I'm running the spike today and my axle isn't leaking any more since I replaced the inner axle seal so I should be set. But rain in the forecast today.

Uncle Ben
05-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Mmmmmmmm.....yummy! Thank You Scott!

Shark Bait
05-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes. Thanks! At least someone is thinking about us poor souls who couldn't make the trip this year. :eek::D

Convert
05-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks Scott great pics :thumb:

Vitesse_6
05-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks you all, I had a great time as usual, I hope to make it again next year.

Mendocino
05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I drove the '40 both directions and averaged 65 MPH on the way home.:cool:

There was a VERY annoying storm that made Vail pass and coming into Lakewood interesting. A found the road sign stating: "Use Cation; thick fog next 16 miles; animals on road," pretty disturbing especially since I was wiping the window with a clean shop towel and "thankful" every time the wipers worked.:)

Mendocino
05-02-2009, 11:38 PM

Drew

Drew, I'll be over in the morning...you get cotton too...

bigbluefj
05-03-2009, 02:04 AM
i would settle for more picture's!!!:(:(

LiveRust
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
few pictures from Porcupine Rim, Hells Revenge and Poison Spider.

thanks Rising Sun for your efforts. Great time!

LiveRust
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
few more. Sorry most are of my lexus. I'd hand off my camera to someone to take pictures while I drove the obstacles.

LiveRust
05-03-2009, 01:16 PM
ok, a few of other peoples rigs.

LiveRust
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Nice Canadian couple had kind of bad day on Hells Gate.

LiveRust
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
last few of the wedgie on poison spider

Romer
05-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Some pre-run stuff -

Randy (with air) on Fins

Mike on Kenny's Climb

Bill on Kennys Climb

Redfox and Chris on Wipeout hill

Romer
05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Trail Leaders and gunners did a great Job. Poison Spider by Steve Crase and Timm B

And Metal Masher by Timm B and Bruce L
First pic Rachel doing the wedge, next is me on Poison Spider

A pic of two 80s going up a ledge on Metal Masher
Sarah going down a ledge

Two great days

It got interesting for a few minutes on Fins. Between Kenny's climb and the next steep climb it poured quite a bit. A member of the back group couldn't get up the next climb and it was raining hard so we took that half of the group and re-routed to get the two groups linked back up. Fortunately, I was up high and could see a trail that worked and Rachel and Sarah were still down and directed the rest of the group that way.

wesintl
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
wow... 80-85 there and back, AC on the trail, cup holders, a bed, no cotton. I've entered a new dimension

SROR/AKA 2BAD
05-03-2009, 07:32 PM
wow... 80-85 there and back, AC on the trail, cup holders, a bed, no cotton. I've entered a new dimension

the "pansy zone"

Romer
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Here are a few more

FJBrady on Fins Saturday

A couple shots from Catacomb rock just off of the Chicken corners trail we did with Matt Farr

A nice Red mini truck owned by a local kid named Hunter.

Ige contenplating the meaning of life during a lunch break on Poison Spider

alpendubber
05-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Liverust,

Hey thanks for the pic of my 60!! That trail was great, it was the highlight of the trip for me!!

bigbluefj
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
much better thank you

Corbet
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey, I'm still live from CM09, but not by choice. Please check the tech section and read my "real time help" thread.

Thanks for any help in advance.

JadeRunner
05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow, that was a memorable trip. The runner is beat up some more but still drives straight down the highway. :) I was happy I escaped any breakage based on all the breakage I saw on the same obstacles I was taking.

Running Golden Spike yesterday with Jeremiah Profit leading was a long eventful run that I will never forget. What a trail! I loved it. I really regret having 0 pictures or video of the Spike run. My camera is broken now and I couldnít find my second camcorder battery. Sorry, You just have to use your imagination.:mad:

We had about a dozen rigs. Jeremiah was always on top of the situations quickly and had solutions in progress. Everyone was built pretty big. As usual I was the only one on 33ís and no front locker.

Todd with the White Trash of the Elwood chapter in his 40 rolled over 1.5 times right in front of me as he was trying a un-named hard double whammy type obstacle near the beginning of the spike. He was really going at and been denied. He hit it again and bounced sideways in a big way. The recovery effort became dangerous suddenly as everyone was in a hurry. My winch was attached on the uphill side to prevent another roll as the 40 flopped back over. Fortunately I wasnít standing in front of my runner as it was drug forward as the 40 flopped back over. I was reeling out my winch as fast as I could at the time but didnít have enough slack in the line when they winched him over.

A very intense rain followed which sent people into my runner for protection. Poor Todd was still a bit shaken but he was a tough guy and had a good attitude.

A Profit built 2nd gen truck with a custom 80 suspension tore up his front drive shaft and had to be strapped out in 2wd near the double whammy play area.

Battery issues plagued the same guy that rolled his rig on the Moab Rim with me the day prior. His acid had drained out evidentially.

Pac in his FJ Cruiser on 35ís and a front locker was making it through all the tough obstacles but was driving them way too hard. He was on a mission. I didnít realize this until later since he was so mellow on our Behind the Rocks run on Thursday. Jeremiahís radio was now worthless for some reason so communication was a bit more tricky. My radios were working well and I was making periodic contact with Greg and Neil to keep them posted which was cool. We managed to get everyone up the Golden Stairs and it was looking like smooth sailing downward. Not. The other White Trash boy destroyed a drive shaft on a hard optional obstacle but had a spare on within 15 minutes. Pac in the FJ made it up this spot somehow as well as Jeremiah of course.

I ran in the middle of the group trying to keep the beginning and crippled end together. It looked like we were about out then Pacís FJ hit another optional obstacle. His FJ had had enough and he ripped out his custom front tie rod. I was glad it wasnít a CV. We sent our gunner Ray on with the rest of the anxious group. Jeremiah and I stayed with Pac until we were able to complete a trail fix. The Elwood Chapter boys stayed and helped as well. They were quite prepared and never left a man on the trail. They managed to use a hack saw to fix the threads and get it back together to limp out. All these guys had serious wrenching skills. I tried to stay out of their way and run support functions.

We made it down to the highway at dark. I promptly checked in with the trail boss who promised he had an iced down brew waiting for me. That was nice - thanks Greg. :cheers: I was eager to ďdebriefĒ the day to anyone that wanted to listen. Matt invited me to a late dinner with all of them also which was nice. Good folks, goods times and a great event.

Iíll be back, but of course I will do a few things differently based on my 4 full days of good hard wheeliní at Cruise Moab.:thumb:

Jacket
05-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Pictures uploading now, although "Live" is not longer the case....

nakman
05-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok I'll toss up a quick few... first the group on Wipeout Hill yesterday driving up to the first overlook. Then our lunchtime cookout (how many RS members can you name? :D) man that was a fun run.

Finally, Gavin in the car this morning acting exactly how I feel..

Jacket
05-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Guess who's hungry in this picture :)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/moab2009/moab2009137.jpg

Pappy
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks to Rising Sun for another wonderful CM! Some of my pics are up at http://www.flickr.com/photos/xylorhiza/sets/72157617665052328/. Two runs, Kane Creek on Thursday and Cliffhanger on Friday. I will be adding Steel Bender tonight.

Red_Chili
05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
I had a premonition about having issues, but also about being able to get through it. In fact, on a hunch I brought out my electrical tools which turned out to be prescient.

Carnage:
*Broken short leaf, front, discovered just prior to departure. Quick work arrangements, an understanding boss, and excellent service from Alcan, fixed.

*EFI fuse popped at 0130 west of Eagle on Friday morning. Managed to get a 20A fuse to hold to get me to Alcan in Da Junk. Suspected the fuel pump so my wife picked one up to bring out later (replaces one with 203K miles, probably a good idea anyway). Finally died - hard - west of Fruita Corbet-style on the side of the road. After I found it, I clipped out the melted O2 harness whilst cars went whizzing past and limped into Moab, spent a day or so building a new harness in camp and installing. Fixed. Permanently. No ECM damage, Marlin says I am lucky.

*Dented head on rock on the Swell. Field repaired, then sutured in Castle Dale, UT. Just another opportunity to knock some sense into myself. Fixed.

*Clunk when wheeling let me to look at drag link ends. Some play, replaced with trail spares. Clunk remained. After San Rafael Swell, I had that premonition thing again which kept me from doing the backcountry return route. I had a mental picture of a frame crack out of the blue, and on a hunch I climbed under and found a crack in the frame (the usual place for minis converted to high steer). Moab 4x4 Outpost fixed inexpensively, plated to fix permanently, in about 45 minutes. Great folks.

*Led Cliffhanger without major event, and on the way back to camp heard what sounded like a dinged disk from my driveline ebrake. Justin said it was my diff. Call it denial, I preferred the ebrake explanation. He nailed it... right before the lunch spot my rear pinion let go.

Got a field workaround and a cold group shower (clothes on, thank you) and blow dry all in one, with some of my newest close friends. Rock Dog had a spare diff in camp, enabling me to get home (and try out 4.88s as well - I like!). I should be able to make someone a sweet deal on a good used reverse rotation (high pinion) ring and pinion set in 5.29s soon (set up by Marlin). :hill: An even better deal on a well-used and distressed V6 ring and pinion set (set up by High Country 4x4) for wall decoration...

*Made it home in time to discover a slight and growing exhaust leak at the downtube/collector junction. Again. Gonna hafta reengineer that. The spare tire carrier also has a crack in the heat affected zone of a weld I did... gonna hafta brace that.

Expensive? Yeah.

Memorable times? Priceless.

:risingsun

LiveRust
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Liverust,

Hey thanks for the pic of my 60!! That trail was great, it was the highlight of the trip for me!!

here are a few more of your rig. Glad you had a good time.

Crash
05-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Lots to write about and many fotos to post but will settle, for now, with saying what a great time we had at Cruise Moab '09, on the road to and from CM with our Ohio friends Bill and Jonda and winding down in Glenwood Springs on Saturday and Sunday. Today, the latest Toyota Trails arrived in the mail so I'm feeling doubly lucky. Ricardo's Rising Sun Chapter Report's lead paragraph brought smiles to our faces and we thank you, Ricardo, for your fitting description of the Phil Simmons award and congrats, again, to Bill Morgan for being recognized so aptly for his efforts on Rising Sun's and all off-roaders' behalf. And then, turning to the last page and seeing one of Suzie's pictures presented as the Trails End shows me that, heck, we aren't lucky, we are blessed! To say that Toyotas have positively impacted our lives is an understatement. Thanks, Rising Sun, for being a big part of that blessing.

treerootCO
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh snap! :hill:

subzali
05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
what'd you do!?

85Toy
05-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I guess I wasn't there officially, especially driving the minivan, but we enjoyed the trip very much. Pritchett Canyon on Thursday was incredible...I didn't know trucks could climb obstacles like that. The trail leader broke down fairly early into the run, but the renegade group I was riding with just ahead of the official CM group made it all the way through without incident. We finished up top around 2:30. I have a new appreciation for the 80...we only had to winch twice. Thanks to the Redline guys for letting us ride along in their group... they had some very cool rigs...especially the Blue and White 55...what a beast!!!

Next year I will be official and be there with my own rig. After getting the motor running, more armor and a different axle configuration are definite musts!

On Saturday, my friend Mike Calleja and his blue FJ40 broke his rear pinion near the end of the trail (I think on Hells Revenge...can't remember for sure). Joe went up there and helped him get it out. He towed it back to Conifer on the trailer yesterday...should be getting it fixed today. We heard that someone rolled 2.5 times, not sure it that was true...if so, I hope they were OK!

Anyway, I want to compliment the organizers and I look forward to next year.

powderpig
05-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Marc Halverson from New Mexico had the same problem with his 40, Treeroot.
It happened on Golden Spike. We used the winch wrapped around stuff to get a good bite, then used ratchet strap to wrap the area and provide some movement. Then relaxed the winch a bit. It seemed to last all the way to camp. His broke before the first overlook, maybe at the ledges with the hole.

ScaldedDog
05-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I guess I wasn't there officially, especially driving the minivan, but we enjoyed the trip very much. Pritchett Canyon on Thursday was incredible...I didn't know trucks could climb obstacles like that. The trail leader broke down fairly early into the run, but the renegade group I was riding with just ahead of the official CM group made it all the way through without incident. We finished up top around 2:30. I have a new appreciation for the 80...we only had to winch twice. Thanks to the Redline guys for letting us ride along in their group... they had some very cool rigs...especially the Blue and White 55...what a beast!!!

Next year I will be official and be there with my own rig. After getting the motor running, more armor and a different axle configuration are definite musts!

On Saturday, my friend Mike Calleja and his blue FJ40 broke his rear pinion near the end of the trail (I think on Hells Revenge...can't remember for sure). Joe went up there and helped him get it out. He towed it back to Conifer on the trailer yesterday...should be getting it fixed today. We heard that someone rolled 2.5 times, not sure it that was true...if so, I hope they were OK!

Anyway, I want to compliment the organizers and I look forward to next year.

We shoulda gone with you guys... I was in the silver Runner, and we finally made it with Mike to Rocker Knocker and turned around... again. Bummer about Mike's rig. Are rear pinion's problematic on 40's? That's two in three days... (I know nothing about LC's.)

Mark

Tch2fly
05-04-2009, 07:16 PM
On Saturday, my friend Mike Calleja and his blue FJ40 broke his rear pinion near the end of the trail (I think on Hells Revenge...can't remember for sure). Joe went up there and helped him get it out. He towed it back to Conifer on the trailer yesterday...should be getting it fixed today.

It was Hells Revenge and VERY close to the end ... always a shame to end a run that way :(

subzali
05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Most old Cruisers have coarse-spline pinions, which if you whack them on a ledge or get axle wrap going on they tend to break. I've done one in :o

bigbluefj
05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
i second what he said pinion flange and ledge's don't go together to well:D:D

bh4rnnr
05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Awesome trip!!!!!!

Thanks all for the great work and hanging with me for the week. Gonna say highlight of the trip was the full day we had in Beef Basin, though wipe out comes in close, along with yesterday even though I got to bed around 2am this morning:eek:

A very BIG THANK YOU to all you hard work!:beer::beer:

:cheers:

Red_Chili
05-04-2009, 08:33 PM
And thank you for your help on Wipe Out, Perry! (and all the others who helped) I'll not soon forget those kinds of good times.

rover67
05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
We had a wonderfull time!! thanks for showing us around beef basin Perry!

We stopped in frisco at about midnight and did the rest this morning.

Good times!!!!! thanks to all that got it put together!!

corsair23
05-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Reading about all of the carnage, and witnessing some of it first hand on the Saturday Wipe Out Hill run, we count ourselves very lucky :D

Pulled into Slickrock about 3pm on Wednesday...Backed the popup camper into place and the :Princess: asked if the camper's tire was supposed to look like that? Huh? I look and dang if there isn't a 12"+ section of tread missing from the tire :eek: Not sure when it came off and I never felt a thing but we were counting our blessings it didn't blow coming down a hill etc. Thanks to Red Chili and the use of his floor jack, jack stand, and some 6x6 blocks of wood from him and Farnham I had the camper up on on the stand and wood and as safely propped up as possible so I could get the tires off (decided to just replace both) and replaced. We took Friday off from running a trail (Hells Revenge) and got new tires from Chip's place toward the north end of town...30 minutes in and out :thumb: - an hour later the camper was back on wheels in camp.

The only other carnage that I am aware of was the cold water line to the faucet/sink broke off and sort of flooded the camper before we notice it :( - A trip to Ace, some Gorilla Super Glue, vice grips, and an o-ring plus 24+ hours or curing time and no more leaks the rest of the trip.

It was a great trip, great people, and GREAT leaders/gunners all around...Kudos to all

The worst part of the whole trip remains the drive and pulling that camper...Nothing more humiliating than getting passed by an 18 wheeler going up Vail Pass and to the Eisenhower tunnel...30mph, 1st gear, 4000-4400 RPM just sucks...But, my cooling problems of two years ago seem to be behind me as my max temp on both climbs was a mere 204F :thumb:

BLACKGOLD
05-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Some pics from the Overnighter:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3220.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3239.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3241.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3270.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3276.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3328.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3377.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3400.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3438.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3462.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3468.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3528.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3536.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3587.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3606.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3629.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3633.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3635.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3643.jpg

BLACKGOLD
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Carnage in the Swell:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3564.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3566.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3568.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3569.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3573.jpg

BLACKGOLD
05-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Gold Bar Rim:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3814.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3842.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3850.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/_MG_3859.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/JPGREEN13/2009CM/DSCN3542.jpg

corsair23
05-05-2009, 12:38 AM
We need a "Best Attitude Despite All Odds" award for CM10...I'm thinking Red Chili would have won it hands down this year :thumb:

Bill, next year leave the head butting of rocks to someone else :hill:

But bring your floor jack and jack stands again...You never know which ill prepared soul might need them :D

Red_Chili
05-05-2009, 08:00 AM
:lmao:
Thanks for the kind words...

Really, every failure had a silver lining... without exception. Kinda funny, in my spiritual life I've been learning the lessons of gratitude, helps with recognizing the generosity of my Maker despite apparent setbacks. It kinda works like beer in the quote from Spanky's Tee shirt.

"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well..."
-Brother Somebody or Other in some Kansas monastery

I want that Tee. I think I told Rudy I wanted one in white, but black will hide the oil spots better. :lmao::lmao:

Yeah, head butting is definitely for others.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.
True with trucks too. The Chili nor I ain't dead yet. :hill:

Beater
05-05-2009, 08:50 AM
jeez Bill.....

again?????

Red_Chili
05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey, it's been 4 years after all... this time was disappointing. Just a little red spatter on sandstone. Didn't even ring my bell.
:hill:

Uncle Ben
05-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey, it's been 4 years after all... this time was disappointing. Just a little red spatter on sandstone. Didn't even ring my bell.

Starting to understand why you chose that color for the Chili. :rolleyes: :p:

Tch2fly
05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Cliffhanger sans sliders :eek: somebody can drive (took me all day but I finally put him on line that bent his bumper :o)
I want to say "like father like son" but I never saw Justin hurt himself:lmao:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=321616&stc=1&d=1241541036

Red_Chili
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Ask him about roller blades sometime. And ignoring his father's advice about protective gear, except, thankfully, his helmet.
Da boy is a fine person, a fine driver and a fine wrench too. Kind of a Robbie Mini-Me!

Jacket
05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Let's not forget the carnage to the 18's.... :p:

The Urban Runner did exceptionally well for all the reasons previously mentioned. Excellent work by the Morgan clan.

Inukshuk
05-05-2009, 08:39 PM
We need a "Best Attitude Despite All Odds" award for CM10...I'm thinking Red Chili would have won it hands down this year :thumb:

I second that! Also remember that he finished wipe out hill - the hardest climbs (ok, with some strapping) and descended the obstacle with front wheel drive. He had the choice to bail, we all agreed that we were well within safety margin to finish, and he did.

Also, he had given Squishy all his tools not 20 minutes before he broke!

Also there was huge thunderstorm as he field-swapped hubs and pulled the rear driveshaft.

AND one more also, in the middle of all that I was admiring his tire carrier when he noticed a cracked weld and I innocently asked "who welded it" (of course, he had).

Yes, I'd say GREAT attitude.

Trapper50cal
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Just got a disk from a buddy driving behind me...

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8316/dscn3792.jpg
By trapper50cal (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/trapper50cal), shot with E7600 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=E7600&make=NIKON) at 2009-05-06

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3290/dscn3670q.jpg
By trapper50cal (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/trapper50cal), shot with E7600 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=E7600&make=NIKON) at 2009-05-06

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4462/dscn3661.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8812/dscn3617.jpg

My buddy Steve, almost up the wall...
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2128/dscn3640.jpg

My buddy John, in the wedgy...
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9223/dscn3467.jpg

Johns little girl, Aspen...tuckered from heavy reading
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2172/dscn3564.jpg

John, Corbet and Porter
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5157/dscn3522.jpg

pmccumber
05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
A few from EHill on Saturday. Big Fun and thanks to all.

Jacket
05-08-2009, 03:40 PM
A few from Moab

Hells Revenge
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/moab2009/moab2009085.jpg

Hells Revenge
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/moab2009/moab2009092.jpg

Cliffhanger
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/moab2009/moab2009124.jpg

Cliffhanger
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/moab2009/moab2009127.jpg

Squishy!
05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Let's not forget the carnage to the 18's.... :p:

Actually double checked when i got home and the tiny bit of carnage was done before Clifhanger, so no extra carnage to the BLING baby! :p: :p: :D:beer:

Got any more of those Clifhanger pictures?

Jacket
05-08-2009, 04:04 PM
And for any of you that had Joel from 4wd Toyota Owner ride along on your run, he has posted up his pictures

http://www.moranton.com/

Click Galleries and then page down to the bottom. He's got some good pictures of Wipeout Hill on Saturday, including that near miss from the light blue FJ40.

Jacket
05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Actually double checked when i got home and the tiny bit of carnage was done before Clifhanger, so no extra carnage to the BLING baby! :p: :p: :D:beer:

Got any more of those Clifhanger pictures?

Sweet! My picture taking was pretty lax all weekend, probably because I spent most of my time wrangling the boy.

This is the only one I've got:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/moab2009/moab2009123.jpg

corsair23
05-08-2009, 04:25 PM
And for any of you that had Joel from 4wd Toyota Owner ride along on your run, he has posted up his pictures

http://www.moranton.com/

Click Galleries and then page down to the bottom. He's got some good pictures of Wipeout Hill on Saturday, including that near miss from the light blue FJ40.

Thanks for posting that up :thumb:

Awesome sequence shots of Randy!! I won't post any up in case he wants to submit some :D...Brings chills seeing that again

Air Randy
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for posting that up :thumb:

Awesome sequence shots of Randy!! I won't post any up in case he wants to submit some :D...Brings chills seeing that again

Go ahead and post up shots if you have them! :thumb: Dee :Princess: said she was starting to take pictures until the wheels started to lift, then she just stood there and did the "silent scream" thing so we have no photos of it in our camera. :hill:

corsair23
05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Go ahead and post up shots if you have them! :thumb: Dee :Princess: said she was starting to take pictures until the wheels started to lift, then she just stood there and did the "silent scream" thing so we have no photos of it in our camera. :hill:

All I got is the video but I was going to file save-as some of the pics on the linked site and post them...But, I'm sure they are copyright protected now that I think about it :rolleyes:...Guess you'd have to ask Joel's permission and have him send you the pics...

His gallery is pretty cool with the shot sequencing and if you forward through the pics quickly it is almost like watching a video :) - Your shot sequence tells a pretty good tale. And, if you don't like the line you took you can click backwards and try it again :lmao:

Hulk
05-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Good Lord! Randy, that's some scary stuff! Picture 138 is scary. Glad you settled back down.

MDH33
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Good Lord! Randy, that's some scary stuff! Picture 138 is scary. Glad you settled back down.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but that was not appropriate in my opinion. :(

longer wheelbase rigs have flipped end-over-end going DOWN that line. Even though double locked 80's and mini's can walk that going up, I think trying that in a tall short 40 should have been advised against. and then to drag him up on a strap? why?

Booo :(

Romer
05-10-2009, 12:05 AM

Made me look:eek:

I bet Dee was a bit excited.

JadeRunner
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Why? Perhaps because he didn't mind pushing it to the edge and he was set on making that line. I saw a lot of that on the difficult runs. And some flipped over. Which didn't really seem to ruin they're day. They can just keep wheelin. Amazing.

MDH33
05-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Why? Perhaps because he didn't mind pushing it to the edge and he was set on making that line. I saw a lot of that on the difficult runs. And some flipped over. Which didn't really seem to ruin they're day. They can just keep wheelin. Amazing.

I guess I draw the line on intentionally wrecking my junk. :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
05-10-2009, 12:55 AM
I guess I draw the line on intentionally wrecking my junk. :rolleyes:

It's not about wrecking your junk....it's about challenge and driving skilz!

Air Randy
05-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Made me look:eek:

I bet Dee was a bit excited.

She actually handled it fairly well, remember she put up with me being a cop for many years. I used to come home banged up on a fairly regular basis. Believe it or not, she was the one who wanted me to drive back up so she could get shots of me coming down the hill! She missed it the first time since she was on a nature break when I went down. Afterwards she did say "dont ever listen to me again"

Martin - I appreciate and understand your concern. Keep in mind that I have wheeled various rigs all over the world for 30+ years and this was not the first wheel stand I had to ride down or the hairiest predicament I had to get out of. Thats how I knew to let off the brakes when I felt it starting to go over. That said, always feel free to voice your opinion as I do value the experience of others and have been known on occassion to actually take that advice.:D Unfortunately, more often than not I usually dont listen and go ahead and do something I regret later :hill:

To be perfectly clear, it was my decision alone to attempt the climb. If it was a dumb thing to do it was my choice alone to do it.

For me, I can't understand the full capabilities of the vehicle unless I push it to the edge. Honestly, I didnt expect to make it all the way up the climb but I needed to know how far I could make it. I now have a much better idea of what I would be willing to attempt in my 40. I wont try anything even close to that challenging in the future just for fun. But, if for some reason I am faced with a serious situation where I have no choice but to go up an obstacle like that, I know I'll throw a strap and probably a winch line on it.

As far as the strap, Tim and the others insisted on that for my safety and their peace of mind when I wanted to attempt climbing the left line after the right line (wheel stand side) failed. Unfortunately I am one of those "get back on the horse immediately once you fall off of it" types. I also knew I probably wasnt going to make that climb either. In the end, I made it about halfway up and gave up in a good spot. The strap was never needed and the only drama was Tim working very hard to get me past one spot without scraping the rear quarter panel up.

I have put a lot of hard work into getting the old mule up and running, to make it a capable trail rig, and I try very hard to not abuse it or break it needlessly. On the other hand, it's not a restored collector vehicle I want to putt around in just for others to see. I built it to wheel with and I expect there to be some nicks and dings eventually. Thats why I painted it with rattle cans and carry one with me at all times for fast body work!:thumb:

Red_Chili
05-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I personally wouldn't want to spot someone up that line with that rig. That said... you handled it extremely well! Mad skilz for sure. :bowdown:

nakman
05-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I regretted not doing the strap on the first climb. Thought about it, but then figured it would be ok... wow I feel fortunate to learn that lesson the easy way. The problem was the approach.. you were lined up perfect but all the little ledges on the way to the climb kept shifting you further down the hill, so by the time you were at the climb you were lined up to the steepest spot- had you done it more to your left I bet you could have made it. We'll try again next year, with the strap :)

And getting out of that pickle on the other side was tough- you were literally between a rock and a hard place! I appreciated your patience and willingness to stay cool while we wiggled you out of that.. was not a great situation but you did well by not making it worse, which it easily could have gotten. I was real relieved you were able to roll away from both attempts, on your tires. :eek:

corsair23
05-10-2009, 11:19 PM
The problem was the approach.. you were lined up perfect but all the little ledges on the way to the climb kept shifting you further down the hill, so by the time you were at the climb you were lined up to the steepest spot- had you done it more to your left I bet you could have made it. We'll try again next year, with the strap :)

Agreed :thumb:

I wanted to share a video of what Wipe Out Hill was like with someone so I did a You Tube search...Of course I couldn't find any videos with Toyota's doing the side we did :( (at the time...there is one now from CM09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax5OyovtLf0)). I came across quite a few of Jeeps but I settled on the one with an Xterra to share :hill:...Back on point, there are quite a few videos of Jeeps going down, and then back up that spot, most just driving right up it. I'm with Tim that further left, and staying in it probably would have resulted in Randy going right up it...Then again, the Blue Mule is pretty tall...I guess once I get the video uploaded we call all take a gander and critic in case anyone wants to try it next year...Until then you can critic some Jeeps :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oKO-1EmMOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xKYhdefr8

Air Randy
05-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Wow, just goes to show you how much of a difference a V8, auto trans and the proper line makes. That looked easy! He was waaaay farther to the left and on a very different angle than I was.

The photographer sent me the jpeg of the photo. Funny, when you get the high resolution version of the photo and blow it up, it shows much better detail of my face...................................:lmao:

Hulk
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Red Fox went down Wipe Out Hill in his 40 on a pre-run the year that we added the trail to CM. Anyone know if he went back up?

nakman
05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Red Fox went down Wipe Out Hill in his 40 on a pre-run the year that we added the trail to CM. Anyone know if he went back up?

Did not, no one did that day. but you should have heard the sound of his fan shroud "self-clearancing" when his motor mounts tweaked... ouch. In fact first year CM that folks on my run went back up was last year, when just about all of us did in our 80's... that, along with all the videos I've seen, is why I was so lax about not worrying about Randy putting a strap on his rig when he wanted to attempt.

It's a serious obstacle, but I figured he had it- and big props to him for keeping his head straight when the front end went up, because before anyone else could even react he already had the clutch in, tranny in reverse, ready to pop it down if things started tipping the wrong way.

It's funny when vehicles get precarious how the spectators end up being the ones the most freaked out, and the drivers are all like, "what, it wasn't that close..." reminds me of a trip we took last summer :)

Romer
05-11-2009, 11:01 PM
It's funny when vehicles get precarious how the spectators end up being the ones the most freaked out, and the drivers are all like, "what, it wasn't that close..." reminds me of a trip we took last summer :)

Yup:eek:

rover67
05-11-2009, 11:26 PM
check out that right rear..

Randy, I thought you were going over for sure..

I'm glad it turned out fine that day, it could have sure been a bummer.

Hulk
05-12-2009, 12:00 AM
It's funny when vehicles get precarious how the spectators end up being the ones the most freaked out, and the drivers are all like, "what, it wasn't that close..."

True. I remember the second time I did Gillespie Gulch on our annual night run. I followed Cheeseman up a trough that I had aced the year previous. It had either gotten dug out or I took a poor line because I had my front end wa-a-ay up in the air. Finally I stopped, someone threw a strap on me and I drove out of it. I said, "It wasn't that bad, was it?" And someone responded, "Dude, you were vertical." Karie and the kids were with me that year, too.

corsair23
05-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Yup:eek:

From another angle...Not quite the look on Randy's face in his shot (:lmao:) but Tim seems to be "clenching" them hard in this pic :D

Gotta love hi-res pics that'll let you zoom in :hill:

DaveInDenver
05-12-2009, 08:17 AM
"what, it wasn't that close..."
"What was that you were yelling about a bad line, Steve?"

http://armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/rubithon08folder/files/page75_16.jpg

DaveInDenver
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
From another angle...Not quite the look on Randy's face in his shot (:lmao:) but Tim seems to be "clenching" them hard in this pic :D
"Man, Gavin's gonna kill me if I roll his Cruiser."

Crash
05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Something about %&#*@@ IFS trucks? :eek:
Just kidding.....

"What was that you were yelling about a bad line, Steve?"

http://armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/rubithon08folder/files/page75_16.jpg

nakman
05-12-2009, 09:09 AM
True. I remember the second time I did Gillespie Gulch on our annual night run. I followed Cheeseman up a trough that I had aced the year previous. It had either gotten dug out or I took a poor line because I had my front end wa-a-ay up in the air. Finally I stopped, someone threw a strap on me and I drove out of it. I said, "It wasn't that bad, was it?" And someone responded, "Dude, you were vertical." Karie and the kids were with me that year, too.

I remember that Matt, that was the first year I led the Spooky Night Run. You were straddling that wedge just fine but then stopped, then for whatever reason you rolled back and turned the wheel, putting your back tire at the bottom of the wedgie. Replace "someone" above with me... :eek:while a couple guys held your bumper down I tossed a strap down to you, and we yanked your 40 up to the terra firma. That totally freaked me out, as you were pretty vertical- probably not as bad off as Randy was one WipeOut hill but close, I don't remember if the other front tire came off the ground or not though. hey, it was dark... after that Steve Crase taught me the nick name Hazz Matt... :lmao:

subzali
05-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Still driving with one hand though I see...

When we did Poughkeepsie on the Ouray Run in 2007 I was trying the right hand line (where Cheeseman had an incident a few years back) and got one of my tires off the ground pretty good. Everyone was pretty nervous about that, but it didn't seem that bad to me. But I had used up my three tries so I went up the other side of the rock...probably a good thing. It was only two months after that that I broke my pinion in Moab because I went beyond my three tries...:banghead:

DaveInDenver
05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Something about %&#*@@ IFS trucks? :eek:
Just kidding.....
That was not an IFS issue. That was driver error plain and simple. Had I just stuck to the line...

It's so obvious when I look at the moment just before I tipped, maybe 6" more to the right and I could have rolled the right tire up and down the other side of the rock, which slopes away from the wall. My slider and skid plates take the hit rather than the stuff above the waist line. Or maybe a harder left crank, sooner than what we were doing with the 80s?

I honestly just don't see how a solid axle would have made a difference on my line. I mean my left tire is already spinning in space with the suspension against the bump stop. Even if it dropped 6" more, there practically no weight on it until my truck's center rotates over. The rear axle is twisting the opposite way, so I already have significant resistance to the left side coming over and that didn't help as the front end dropped.

I just have two feet more wheelbase than the trucks that came before, so I had to go straight longer before the left hand crank, which widened my arc and ultimately set me up for a harder rotation. Then since I have 6" less track width, the top of my truck rotated a lot more than the wagons before the left side hit anything solid.

This to me is one of those cases where a highly built truck just masks a very poor line selection. Even assuming I make it through (which I still doubt) with a live axle and leafs, it would have remained a bad line. Keep in mind that I would be running a 58" wide axle with maybe 2" lift springs, stock configuration. I would not get a ton more downtravel, maybe 2~3". My left tire is 15" from hitting anything substantial. IOW, I still would need a whole bunch of rocks stacked, which is probably what we should have done from this point since the 80 series hard left crank technique did not work.

Same as riding a bike with suspension, you can blow through lines that require much more control if you don't have 140mm of front and rear squish.

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/rubithon08folder/files/page75_15.jpg

Well, I get a daily reminder of that mistake and maybe one day I will get around to fixing my 'Nest. :-/

Hulk
05-12-2009, 10:58 AM
...after that Steve Crase taught me the nick name Hazz Matt...

I earned that nickname on my very first run with Rising Sun in Jan. 2001, down on the Hackett Gulch trail. I had three wheels in the air going up one of the first obstacles. :eek: That was back when my FJ40 was stock, and so were my driving skills. Shortly thereafter, I bought a 4" lift, new 33" Goodyear MT/Rs, and a locker for the rear. It took me a while longer to develop some skills behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

Crash
05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
As I noted Dave, just kidding, but I probably shouldn't have been knowing how much the damage suffered grates. I promise to never bring the situation up again.

That was not an IFS issue. That was driver error plain and simple. Had I just stuck to the line...

It's so obvious when I look at the moment just before I tipped, maybe 6" more to the right and I could have rolled the right tire up and down the other side of the rock, which slopes away from the wall. My slider and skid plates take the hit rather than the stuff above the waist line. Or maybe a harder left crank, sooner than what we were doing with the 80s?

I honestly just don't see how a solid axle would have made a difference on my line. I mean my left tire is already spinning in space with the suspension against the bump stop. Even if it dropped 6" more, there practically no weight on it until my truck's center rotates over. The rear axle is twisting the opposite way, so I already have significant resistance to the left side coming over and that didn't help as the front end dropped.

I just have two feet more wheelbase than the trucks that came before, so I had to go straight longer before the left hand crank, which widened my arc and ultimately set me up for a harder rotation. Then since I have 6" less track width, the top of my truck rotated a lot more than the wagons before the left side hit anything solid.

This to me is one of those cases where a highly built truck just masks a very poor line selection. Even assuming I make it through (which I still doubt) with a live axle and leafs, it would have remained a bad line. Keep in mind that I would be running a 58" wide axle with maybe 2" lift springs, stock configuration. I would not get a ton more downtravel, maybe 2~3". My left tire is 15" from hitting anything substantial. IOW, I still would need a whole bunch of rocks stacked, which is probably what we should have done from this point since the 80 series hard left crank technique did not work.

Same as riding a bike with suspension, you can blow through lines that require much more control if you don't have 140mm of front and rear squish.

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/rubithon08folder/files/page75_15.jpg

Well, I get a daily reminder of that mistake and maybe one day I will get around to fixing my 'Nest. :-/

Crash
05-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Having witnessed your skills and abilities up close on the Rubicon, I can say that you have come a very long way since that Hackett Gulch day. I'll never forget the image of Hulk on one wheel trying to determine if he wanted to flop or not. It really was that close to some serious damage and I'm glad it wasn't your unlucky day. I really want to go back there - is it open to wheeling yet?

I earned that nickname on my very first run with Rising Sun in Jan. 2001, down on the Hackett Gulch trail. I had three wheels in the air going up one of the first obstacles. :eek: That was back when my FJ40 was stock, and so were my driving skills. Shortly thereafter, I bought a 4" lift, new 33" Goodyear MT/Rs, and a locker for the rear. It took me a while longer to develop some skills behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

Crash
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Beer helps! Maybe you could use the above pic as your avatar to remind you of having a small bad moment in an otherwise heavenly situation forcing yourself to remember all the good that went on with a little bad? My avatar works in that way and, in fact, we both succumbed to exactly the same steering scenario - the passenger side tire wanted to climb when it really was the last thing in the world we wanted to happen.

Nah, it's no biggie. Frustrated at work this week and just upset trying my best not to waste another summer getting stuck at work (yes, this weekend looks bad). I've been really unfairly snippy to Kirsten the past couple of days, too.

subzali
05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Here is the extent of my 4-wheeling at Cruise Moab... :D

nakman
05-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Awesome, Baby Lion's back! did you make it up? Man that approach just getting there had to be pretty rough.. :eek:

subzali
05-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Nope, it powered out right there where I'm stopped. The 1.75:1 rear diff ratio doesn't help too much :o

Didn't touch anything, but I did have to be pretty careful driving through the staging area right there! That truck is LOW LOW LOW to the ground! :D

I could smell my clutch for quite a while after that though...:o

RockRunner
05-13-2009, 03:41 PM
That is pretty funny. You could have ridden your bike up there much easier:rolleyes: And all you would have smelled was the burning of your legs and or lungs......:D Pretty funny if you ask me.:lmao:

corsair23
05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Nope, it powered out right there where I'm stopped. The 1.75:1 rear diff ratio doesn't help too much :o

You need Treeroot to photoshop you to the middle and then the top :D

Just getting the lowrider that far deserves having a picture of the Toy at the top IMO :thumb:

pmccumber
05-16-2009, 09:57 AM
On EHill on the last day, one of the group frequently got out and took quite a few shots of the vehicles. He sent me a link to where he uploaded them on Picasa and it is right here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rtbancroft/Moab09PicassaBlueDiesel60?authkey=Gv1sRgCMCA-aqnvKDQkAE&feat=email#

Paul

nuclearlemon
05-16-2009, 11:48 AM
one of the group frequently got out and took quite a few shots of the vehicles.

that's bob bancroft. that's whos rig i was wheeling friday and saturday. there are a few pics from wipeout hill that i took with one of bob's cameras. they'll be the rainy wet ones ;)

Corbet
05-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Got copies of all the pictures my Neighbors the Dill's took. This one stood out. Daughter Aspen asleep in the back of their FJ80.

Trapper50cal
05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Got copies of all the pictures my Neighbors the Dill's took. This one stood out. Daughter Aspen asleep in the back of their FJ80.

REPOST!: (pg.15)

Gonna have to be faster than that Corb, especially with such a cute photo:D

Corbet
05-17-2009, 04:18 PM
REPOST!: (pg.15)

Gonna have to be faster than that Corb, especially with such a cute photo:D

Yah, I'm slow but that one is worth the repost.

corsair23
05-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Then again, the Blue Mule is pretty tall...I guess once I get the video uploaded we call all take a gander and critic in case anyone wants to try it next year...

Sorry for being slow on this :o

Randy's attempt to go up Wipe Out Hill (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Corsair23/CM09/Wipe Out Hill 5-2-09/CM09 Wipe Out Hill Randy 1.avi)

You may want to right-click, save as...Video is 201MBs

I'll get more uploaded as I have time...I have video of the following folks going down Wipe Out Hill on Nakari's 5-2-09 run: Nakman, Jacket, Marco, Nathaniel, Daniel, Ige, Perry, Kim B, Red Chili, and a couple of unknowns. I also have some video of Gavin, Matt R's son (I think and sorry I don't know his name), and my kids playing in the sand if those folks are interested.

jacdaw
05-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Never mind, saving does not prompt for the pw.
Can someone send me the pw off line for this directory?Sorry for being slow on this :o

Randy's attempt to go up Wipe Out Hill (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Corsair23/CM09/Wipe%20Out%20Hill%205-2-09/CM09%20Wipe%20Out%20Hill%20Randy%201.avi)

You may want to right-click, save as...Video is 201MBs[/COLOR]

corsair23
05-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Never mind, saving does not prompt for the pw. Can someone send me the pw off line for this directory?

You're quick...I was still editing and messing around with the link to get it to work (hopefully) :D

Sent you a PM on the other stuff

jacdaw
05-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks Jeff. I may be quick but Comcast is sloooooowww. Still waiting for the .avi to finish d/l'ing...

jacdaw
05-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Wow, does anyone really think a 200 lb. person is enough to hold an FJ40's front end down if it's tipping over backwards? Randy was protected by restraints and a roll cage. What's protecting the spotter except dumb luck? Yelling to grab the truck just seems misguided to me. Really lucky it turned out the way it did; that Randy was cool under pressure and didn't goose the throttle & that the spotter didn't simultaneously get a good purchase on the truck.

Sorry for being slow on this :o
Randy's attempt to go up Wipe Out Hill (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Corsair23/CM09/Wipe%20Out%20Hill%205-2-09/CM09%20Wipe%20Out%20Hill%20Randy%201.avi) <snip>

Uncle Ben
05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Wow, does anyone really think a 200 lb. person is enough to hold an FJ40's front end down if it's tipping over backwards? Randy was protected by restraints and a roll cage. What's protecting the spotter except dumb luck? Yelling to grab the truck just seems misguided to me. Really lucky it turned out the way it did; that Randy was cool under pressure and didn't goose the throttle & that the spotter didn't simultaneously get a good purchase on the truck.

Actually, if a spotter is quick enough the counter balance is often just enough. What always scares me is when guys jump on the running boards when someone is leaning way off camber. Somehow I think I would rather trust the roll cage rather than your buddys body when the vehicle rolls over!

jacdaw
05-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Actually, if a spotter is quick enough the counter balance is often just enough. What always scares me is when guys jump on the running boards when someone is leaning way off camber. Somehow I think I would rather trust the roll cage rather than your buddy's body when the vehicle rolls over!I've seen it happen before where the buddy got dragged, scraped and partially squished. It's never fun to bend your sheet metal or field test your cage welds, but it's better than hurting a good Samaritan.

DaveInDenver
05-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Wow, does anyone really think a 200 lb. person is enough to hold an FJ40's front end down if it's tipping over backwards?
A bunch of times having Neil or Bruce putting some weight on a slider or bumper just helped my truck keep under control on the Rubicon. So, yeah, sometimes a pull or push is all it takes. But seeing someone standing on a slider or something, that's no good.

rover67
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Probably a bad descision on my part. By the time we all got to it it was on the ground again with little risk of rolling over or to the side, it was more reactionary. I learned a lot that day..

I think we got lucky. Good to see the video to learn from our mistakes.

Jacket
05-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Actually, if a spotter is quick enough the counter balance is often just enough.

Exactly. There's no hard line for any of these situations. Doing nothing isn't always the right answer, nor is jumping on the truck to save it. But there are many "tweener" cases, which Randy falls into. His truck was teetering, where just a bit of weight on the front end could have made a big difference. That was the reaction I think we saw.

It's easy to judge in hindsight. Let's all be glad it turned out Ok, and there was some learnin' to be had.:thumb:

Jacket
05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey Jeff. I'd like to get a copy of my video if possible. Whatever is easiest for you to snip and save it - I'll take it. :beer:

PS - His name is Sam.:)

nakman
05-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Good to see the video to learn from our mistakes.

Agreed! and it's 185 pounds, by the way.. :rolleyes: :D

corsair23
05-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey Jeff. I'd like to get a copy of my video if possible. Whatever is easiest for you to snip and save it - I'll take it. :beer:

PS - His name is Sam.:)

I'll upload it to the server and send you a link when it is there...Upload is sloooow :o - about 30 mins for Randy's video :eek:. I have almost 10GBs of video that I shot :rolleyes:

corsair23
05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Agreed! and it's 185 pounds, by the way.. :rolleyes: :D

Lightweight!! :D

But you can run pretty fast, downhill :thumb:

jacdaw
05-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Agreed! and it's 185 pounds, by the way.. :rolleyes: :D:lmao:btw, you just helped make my point. You're not very heavy ballast or counter weight. :lmao: What does an ARB bumper/winch weigh?

The comments today were helpful for my understanding. No need to continue to hash it out. I wasn't intending to ridicule anyone, just hopefully prevent a tragedy in the future. My personal experience says: trust your safety gear. Keep people out of harm's way.

jacdaw
05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
A bunch of times having Neil or Bruce putting some weight on a slider or bumper just helped my truck keep under control on the Rubicon. So, yeah, sometimes a pull or push is all it takes. But seeing someone standing on a slider or something, that's no good.When I 'wheel I have a strap locked into my 4000# shackle so it's handy for a spotter to grab if needed. Gives the spotter/now savior a safety margin while hooking the loose end to an anchor point.

Air Randy
05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
I've watched the video through about 50 times now and it's pretty apparent what went wrong: As my front wheels cross the 2nd small ledge it bounces the rig quite a bit to the passenger side moving me quite a bit off the proper line. Instead of coming over the steep crest square with both wheels, I came over it on angle. That caused the drivers side wheel to lift, unloaded the pass side and then it started bouncing.............backwards :eek:

The other thing I can see now, maybe you experienced crawlers can confirm this, but it looks like I should have nailed the throttle for an instant then let off quickly just before hitting the crest of the hill. I tried to steady crawl it the whole way. Bumping it at the right moment may have given me that little momentum boost to get the front end up and over to grab traction.

Red_Chili
05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I am a big fan of the bump-and-roll-through-it technique. Most tend to bump-and-let-off-too-early-and-kill-it (in a very spooky moment), or BUMP-and-lift... takes practice to finesse it. I seem to recall my own BUMP-and-lift on the Fins prerun. At least I remember a couple pairs of eyeballs as they watched.

Sometimes crawling it is the least safe, counterintuitively. Not often, but sometimes.

Air Randy
05-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, once you get all of your wheels back under you I'll have to have you give me a few lessons and tips.

Hulk
05-22-2009, 02:07 AM
A few observations:

1. By the time anyone grabbed your bumper, you were out of danger. A strap on your bumper certainly would have done more than the "somebody grab it" shout. Nobody saved you from flipping except Lady Luck and your own calm demeanor.

2. Bumping it might have helped, but it also could have flipped you over completely. Too much throttle has its risks. Have you seen this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNADLR2LVQg)?

3. Once you start to bounce, back off the throttle immediately. That's how a person does real damage to their truck. I think you attempted to keep going too long. Had you backed off after the first bounce, you could have lined up again and driven it clean the second time. There's no reason to force it through, especially on the first try.

4. I'm amazed that we have such great photos and video of this incident. Great learning opportunity for us all.

bigbluefj
05-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Can someone send me a link to this i can not get it to open..

Uncle Ben
05-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Can someone send me a link to this i can not get it to open..

You need to right click save as" It's a very large file.

Red_Chili
05-22-2009, 11:25 AM
2. Bumping it might have helped, but it also could have flipped you over completely. Too much throttle has its risks. Have you seen this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNADLR2LVQg)?

THAT was NOT a bump!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
The whole point being, a bump builds inertia so you can back off when hitting the lip and let inertia carry you over, keeping the front end down.

I think that boy had the popular Jeep aftermarket on/off throttle mod! :lmao:

In that particular case, crawling *might* have done the trick... but I rather doubt that driver has done much crawling... Not sure that was a legal obstacle.

corsair23
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
You need to right click save as" It's a very large file.

x2 - It would probably take 30-45 mins for it to show up in the player if you just click on the link, making it look like it isn't opening.

I need to look into how to compress video maybe :)

corsair23
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Pulled into Slickrock about 3pm on Wednesday...Backed the popup camper into place and the :Princess: asked if the camper's tire was supposed to look like that? Huh? I look and dang if there isn't a 12"+ section of tread missing from the tire :eek: Not sure when it came off and I never felt a thing but we were counting our blessings it didn't blow coming down a hill etc.

Houston, I think we have a problem :rolleyes:...Note to self, check the trailer tires regularly :o

Uncle Ben
05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
x2 - It would probably take 30-45 mins for it to show up in the player if you just click on the link, making it look like it isn't opening.

I need to look into how to compress video maybe :)

Post it to YouTube and let them compress it. Then you also have a quick loading link

bigbluefj
05-22-2009, 10:57 PM
the question i have is what was the air pressure in the tire's and it look like the speed of the truck was a bit fast or is it me just seeing thing's?? it's been awhile sense i've wheeled on rock

DaveInDenver
05-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Randy's attempt to go up Wipe Out Hill (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Corsair23/CM09/Wipe Out Hill 5-2-09/CM09 Wipe Out Hill Randy 1.avi)

You may want to right-click, save as...Video is 201MBs
Made a shrunk all down version, 2.11 MB.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Corsair23/CM09/Wipe%20Out%20Hill%205-2-09/CM09_Wipe_Out_Hill_Randy.mov

Uncle Ben
05-24-2009, 09:36 AM
the question i have is what was the air pressure in the tire's and it look like the speed of the truck was a bit fast or is it me just seeing thing's?? it's been awhile sense i've wheeled on rock

Generally in Moab a little more tire pressure is better. If you can find the sweet spot of maximum traction with just a tad bit of spin you are golden. Too low of pressure/too much traction and you will hop.

Red_Chili
05-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Made a shrunk all down version, 2.11 MB.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Corsair23/CM09/Wipe%20Out%20Hill%205-2-09/CM09_Wipe_Out_Hill_Randy.mov

OK folks, I don't wanna hear no more grief EVER about how I was balancing that BJ in '05 on Steelbender... that led to the helicopter ride... EEK :eek:.

You guys took a MUCH bigger chance of a slip and injury than I did.

Scary from that angle for SURE.

(Of course, I think I have demonstrated that I am fully capable of injuring myself with or without a 4x4, requiring only a shoelace... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:)

Air Randy
05-24-2009, 04:08 PM

I was running 8-9 PSI in the beadlocks. I have an Orion 4 to 1 TC and was in low range 1st gear when I went up the hill. I was only doing about 2,000 rpm so I couldnt have been going too fast.

Beater
05-25-2009, 08:35 AM
the thing i have noticed about underdrives or aux t-cases, is that you kinda lose the ability to control the engine braking. when you let off the throttle, you are still on for a while, unlike higher ratios.. or at least that's how it seems..

Air Randy
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
OK, someone else needs to have a near death experience or something similar. We've sort of beat my Wipeout Hill attempt to death, its time for something new to argue about!

When is someone going to go wheeling locally for the day?

Crash
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
OK, someone else needs to have a near death experience or something similar. We've sort of beat my Wipeout Hill attempt to death, its time for something new to argue about!

Tomorrow morning to Bill Moore Lake but no near death experiences are anticipated other than being on I-70 for a while. :D Several of us are meeting at my house at 9:00 am which would put us at the Downieville Burger King around 9:45 for anyone that might like to join Carton (CBone) and Art Volmer and me.

AxleIke
05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm really confused.

This was close to a roll, sure. Near death? Thats stretching it pretty far.

And its not like everyone here hasn't seen rollovers before. Many have been in them.

To me, it looks like mtntrucker took a cool line, and was denied. It happens. If he'd rolled, someone would have had to winch him back up, possibly pull the plugs, and he'd have been on his way.

Sorry if this is all just good natured ribbing, and I missed it. If that's the case, we can just ignore it. But seems like mtntrucker is getting a little more than that, for no real reason. He's just wheeling and pushing his truck.

Tch2fly
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Ok how about this, another near death experience? ;)

discuss ...

MDH33
05-27-2009, 10:38 AM

I'm really confused.

This was close to a roll, sure. Near death? Thats stretching it pretty far.

And its not like everyone here hasn't seen rollovers before. Many have been in them.

To me, it looks like mtntrucker took a cool line, and was denied. It happens. If he'd rolled, someone would have had to winch him back up, possibly pull the plugs, and he'd have been on his way.

Sorry if this is all just good natured ribbing, and I missed it. If that's the case, we can just ignore it. But seems like mtntrucker is getting a little more than that, for no real reason. He's just wheeling and pushing his truck.

Agreed!

I will keep my opinions to myself because I am a wimp with no wheeling skillz who is 'ascared to dent my rusty POS. :o :hill: :thumb:

Red_Chili
05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
My read was, all good natured ribbing... and certainly not actually critical of MtnTrucker! It's easy to armchair wheel when someone else had the cojones to do it in real life...

When reading the web I usually try to imagine a humorous tone of voice unless it becomes extremely obvious that someone is actually upset. Saves bunches of emotional energy... and its more fun besides.
:thumb:

AxleIke
05-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Agreed!

I will keep my opinions to myself because I am a wimp with no wheeling skillz who is 'ascared to dent my rusty POS. :o :hill: :thumb:

I by no means was attacking you. I too do not like to dent up my truck, and its a bigger POS than yours is by far. Just not what I'm in to. Just seemed like lots of folks were going after him like he made some big mistake, and I didn't see it that way.

Personally, I love watching others take the big boy lines that I'm too wuss to take in my rig.

My read was, all good natured ribbing... and certainly not actually critical of MtnTrucker! It's easy to armchair wheel when someone else had the cojones to do it in real life...

When reading the web I usually try to imagine a humorous tone of voice unless it becomes extremely obvious that someone is actually upset. Saves bunches of emotional energy... and its more fun besides.
:thumb:

Good advice. I will keep that in mind.

MDH33
05-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I by no means was attacking you.

Thanks, I wasn't suggesting you were. ;) I'm just giving myself some grief since I started the undeserved jabs.

And Randy, I didn't mean to question your skills or decision. I would just hate to see you or your nice 40 get squished. ... or any 40 get squished... :zilla:

:cheers:

Air Randy
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
No problemo, I never take any of it personal.

If I do, you'll be the first to know about it........:hill:

I was just suggesting we get a new topic to beat on since we've sort of covered this one 10 ways from Sunday. But, until something new comes along feel free to continue to discuss this if you can come up with a new angle.

I'm running an out of town project now so I usually wont be available for wheeling during the week. But, I would sure be up for a day trip somewhere either Saturday or Sunday. Each weekend, for the rest of the Summer......