PDA

View Full Version : Metberry Gulch

MDH33
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Heading out to Metberry Gulch TOMORROW Monday, April 27, with my father-in-law. He's a fly fisherman and I want to check out Metberry, so we both get to have some fun. ;) If anyone wants to join us, it would be great to have some company on the trail. I'll check this thread in the morning to see if there's anyone interested. Meeting place would be in Conifer around 9am. :thumb:

MDH33
04-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Later departure this morning if anyone is up for it. Hoping to head out around 10 or 11. Should be interesting with the fresh snow. :)

Rzeppa
04-27-2009, 02:05 PM
We had a half foot in Conifer - good luck!

Bruiser
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
I am an avid fly fisherman and would love to due something like this sometime and combine my two favorite hobbies. Unfortunately, I work during the week so it would likely have to be a weekend trip. Did you guys end up going? Would love to hear a report if you did.

MDH33
04-27-2009, 11:03 PM
The snow was melted South of Pine Junction. We had perfect sunny weather all day. :) It took a lot longer to get to the trailhead than I thought it would (more gas too!). The Cedar Mtn road that goes to the trailhead is basically a trail itself. I ran it solo and it was a fun trail with a couple of tippy sections, a couple of steep sections, lots of scenery and seemed like good fishing too. I didn't take enough fuel and rolled back into Pine Junction and 285 on fumes. If anyone runs this in the near future, please keep an eye out for my cell phone which I think might have fallen off my 40 as I climbed back up the steep section of trail. My father-in-law Cary caught a 12 inch Brown and had a fun day wheeling and fishing. This trail might be a good candidate for an overnight, as there were some decent campsites near the river.

:beer:

subzali
04-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Martin, is your gas tank smaller than mine? I drove from the Western Gas Station below Woodland Park, did the trail and came back to at least Woodland Park before having to fill up again...

How'd you like the steep rock slab?

MDH33
04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Martin, is your gas tank smaller than mine? I drove from the Western Gas Station below Woodland Park, did the trail and came back to at least Woodland Park before having to fill up again...

How'd you like the steep rock slab?

My gas tank leaks if I top it off, so I started with just over 3/4 tank and then missed the West Creek road and had to backtrack. I came from Evergreen down 285 to 126, then 67 to Westcreek and Cedar Mtn.

The rock slab was fun. It's kind of dug out at the base with a big whoop-dee-doo and I did a nice three wheel stand coming down at the bottom. Coming up was no problem. I was worried about traction, but aired down I climbed up with no slip. The post and cable steep hill was really loose, but I climbed that easily too. There's a tight curve higher up with a big rock sticking out the side that almost caught my door on the way down as it's washed out and I almost tipped into it. Wish I had pics, but my camera batteries were dead. :o I got a few pics on Cary's camera but I don't have the proper cable or card reader to download them..

subzali
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Oh yeah the tight curve with the rock sticking out was a little hairy-off camber. Glad to hear you made it safe! Now get your PTO winch installed!

MDH33
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Oh yeah the tight curve with the rock sticking out was a little hairy-off camber. Glad to hear you made it safe! Now get your PTO winch installed!

Haha, I had that PTO on my mind the whole time wondering if I might need it climbing out. :D Definitely going on this summer along with my new OEM fog lamps. :cool:

subzali
04-28-2009, 09:18 AM
you going 4spd too?

MDH33
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
you going 4spd too?

I have everything for the 4 speed trans/tc swap except driveshafts, which I'm not sure I can afford right now. I might just keep the 3 speed for the summer since the PTO will bolt right on with no mods.

MDH33
04-28-2009, 09:50 PM
...If anyone runs this in the near future, please keep an eye out for my cell phone which I think might have fallen off my 40 as I climbed back up the steep section of trail. ...

I posted up on Colorado 4x4 and someone found it and called me! wooo hoo! :thumb:

Edit: See, CO4x4 isn't ALL bad Ige. ;)

RicardoJM
04-29-2009, 07:47 AM
someone found it and called me!

That is very cool:cool:. I once had my phone fall out of my pocket on the bike path on the ride home. The guy who found it gave me a call to get it back to me.