PDA

View Full Version : Welcome home CM HAM'ers...

Tramontana
05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
It was really cool hearing you guys and gals on the Colorado Connection repeaters today. Welcome home from Moab.

Nakman was the first that I picked up, then I heard TreeRoot and Groucho, but couldn't reach you on my somewhat limited HT from home in Wheat Ridge.

"QRP isn't everything"...

..."but it's all I've got!"

Brian I hope the info I forwarded RE the Cheyenne Mtn repeater being down was helpful. I hope they don't have any trouble installing the new antennas and tuning the repeater back up today.

Cheers!

nakman
05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
that was fun today when the "net" was in full swing- literally from Utah to Vail. Was also fun talking with a few of you on simplex along the way as well, sure makes the drive go by faster and it's a great way to get to know some other club members a little more. Can't wait for next year, 73's for now.

Oh, and my one trail damage was following Hants on Steelbender, a tree branch snapped my Comet SBB5 antenna. I think I'm going to try a Larson next.. or one of the homebrews.

Jacket
05-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I enjoyed "skipping" along the repeaters between GJ and Denver - my first real experience with the power and range of the Colorado repeaters. It definitely makes for better entertainment than listening to "Kids Bop 3" for the 4th time....

- Matt, aka F'in Quick Quasar

Groucho
05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
I enjoyed "skipping" along the repeaters between GJ and Denver - my first real experience with the power and range of the Colorado repeaters. It definitely makes for better entertainment than listening to "Kids Bop 3" for the 4th time....

- Matt, aka F'in Quick Quasar

Even with the repeaters and HF talking to the east coast I still had to listen to kids bop 3 100 times. I need to find an incinerator for that thing!!

rover67
05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
i was on for a little while towards the evening and didn't hear anybody.. but I maybe wasn't on there too long. My radio can't monitor another station so I stayed on simplex at low power the whole way back chatting with allison behind me.

we made it to frisco at about midnight and stopped there. Maybe we were too far behind the group.

MDH33
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I was on the Denver repeater while mobile in Evergreen and heard Nakman and Groucho before they climbed Vail Pass. :cool:

That repeater system is pretty darn powerful. I was listening all the way across CO and I even made a contact with someone in Fort Collins when I was about 30 miles West of the Utah Colorado border and hitting the Grand Junction repeater. :where's the tinfoil hat smiley:

Red_Chili
05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Interesting... Treeroot and I were trying to hit the Glenwood, the Vail, and the Breck repeaters without success... ???

nakman
05-04-2009, 09:36 PM
:where's the tinfoil hat smiley:

risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat1.gif, tinfoilhat2.gif, tinfoilhat3.gif, and tinfoilhat4.gif... sandwiched by the img and /img things with the brackets.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat1.gif :D http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif :p: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat3.gif :confused: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat4.gif

Mendocino
05-04-2009, 10:28 PM
I drove back in the 40 on Saturday and would have loved to use my radio but I could not hear anything other than the wind through my blown top zippers:hill:. I also had in a great set of ear plugs that made things bearable. I really like that overdrive--I was doing 80 mph/~2500 rpm at times.:D

corsair23
05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Time for me to move up to a mobile rig!

I heard Nakman, Bruce Miller, Nathaniel, and Ross all chatting it up from about 50 miles before Grand Junction. IIRC from the position reports Nakman was in front of Bruce Miller on the Vail repeater, Nathaniel and Ross were behind them on the Grand Junction and then Glenwood Repeater. I could hear them but apparently the little 5W of my VX7R wasn't enough to reach them, even when I finally got into Grand Junction. I did chat a bit with Treeroot via the Grand Junction repeater when he heard me calling but no one answering and decided to let me know my HT was working :)

It was really :cool: to know the distances that I could hear what was going on ahead of me...

Hey Nathaniel, are you missing some other kids CDs? I found some more in the LX while cleaning that I don't recognize so they may have made the trip home with us :)

nakman
05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Jeff I could barely hear you break squelch a couple of times.. one time I thought I heard my call sign being called out, but was really tough to tell. Then later I heard Treeroot talking to your callsign, so figured yeah that must of been you, sorry I didn't radio back but I wouldn't have been able to hear you.

Also, for whatever reason Tramontana was super quiet, as was Seldom Seen. So I had my volume cranked for a while, thinking I need to do the remote speaker thing now. :rolleyes:

But yes, you need a solid mobile rig so you can QSO across the state like the rest of us.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat3.gif

corsair23
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Jeff I could barely hear you break squelch a couple of times.. one time I thought I heard my call sign being called out, but was really tough to tell.

I was really disappointed in the distance limitation of the HT :( - I knew I couldn't reach the GJ repeater from 50 miles out but I started trying at 40 miles and then about every 10 miles or so and figured that I should be able to hit it at 10-20 miles out...Of course, I have no idea where the repeater is actually at but I could hear you and Bruce crystal clear. Nathaniel and Ross not so much but they were working off the Glenwood Springs repeater which sounded like it was iffy at best.

Lesson to those relying on a HT for long distance use I guess. I was surprised though seeing as I can hit the Denver repeater from my house down south with the HT and extendable antenna while in the LX I'm using a real antenna, not just the little stubby one :confused:...No worries, I should have a FT-8800 installed and ready to go sometime this summer :D