PDA

View Full Version : Longfield hub gears?

Red_Chili
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Putting Aisin hubs in the rear to make disconnecting the rear diff easier. Been meaning to finish that project and how I wish I had prior to CM09!

So... do you think Bobby Long's $65/each hardened hub gears would be a needed mod in rear axle use? I've had good luck so far with OEM flanges; in fact, one acted as a fuse when I stupidly made a tight turn on slickrock with the rear locker engaged. No damage to the axle splines. Quick repair.

Bobby's description makes it sound like a popped hub would do significantly more spline damage than a flange. Don't want that.

I have a pair of IFS locking hubs of mysterious origin that could be converted to SA splines with Bobby's hub gears. Or I could pick up one SA hub if stock is OK.

What say you?

Man Jerk
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Why not call Bobby?

Red_Chili
05-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Because I know what his answer would be.

Just looking for alternative experiences, and then I will weigh them. Kinda what I tend to do.

Air Randy
05-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I like the new avatar, has sort of a Dennis Hopper look to it...........

DaveInDenver
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I like the new avatar, has sort of a Dennis Hopper look to it...........
Dennis Hopper, eh? I was thinking Bill should be more like Jack Nicholson on the trail...

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/57/57_images/57jack2.jpg

Uncle Ben
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Bills (wonder if it comes in Red?)

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/darth-vader-deluxe-helmet.jpg

and Squishys...

http://www.vegatransports.com.au/2001/snowspeeder_luke.jpg

isotel
05-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Bill, are you running Cromo Rear Axles? if yes, i would say match the hub gears with Bobby's.. Another Option is Trail Gears 300m Flanges..

Thats Insane that you Broke a Flange just Turning on slick rock :confused:

With my V8 and Auto locker (always locked when im on the Gas) ive had no issues with my Rear End other than Slightly Twisted Splines.. This is a Cruiser Hybrid with Semi Float Mini truck Outer shafts.

Uncle Ben
05-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Bill, are you running Cromo Rear Axles? if yes, i would say match the hub gears with Bobby's.. Another Option is Trail Gears 300m Flanges..

With my V8 and Auto locker (always locked when im on the Gas) ive had no issues with my Rear End other than Slightly Twisted Splines.. This is a Cruiser Hybrid with Semi Float Mini truck Outer shafts.

Just say "NO" to Giegermart!

Air Randy
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM

He didnt break a flange, he broke his ring & pinion. His question was, "if he removes the flanges and installs hubs on his rear FF axle, should he install the stronger longfield hub gears"?

Red_Chili
05-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Yep, you nailed it.

But it is true that I popped a flange turning on slickrock a few years ago... I stupidly had the rear locker locked, and figgered the tires would just chirpchirpchirp as things came untwisted.

Nope. BANG. MT/Rs at 12 psi grip pretty darn well. :lmao:

Part of my questioning comes from that experience. The flange (stock FJ80) acted as a fuse, saving my axle shaft. When it blew, it did no damage to the splines (though the shock dislodged an axle seal, which happens to be a stock Toyota front axle seal.) So I had a fuse + no damage to the Front Range Off Road Fab Chromo full floater axles. Nor the ARB spiders. I kinda liked that.

So if I put locking hubs in the rear... and Bobby's blurb is to be believed... then I can no longer count on the weaker part (hub gear) blowing without undamaged splines. Or can I? Is Bobby's warning usually the case? Or does the weaker part act truly sacrificially, and the splines are usually fine? What say you? And is an Aisin hub really weaker than a flange?

Age-old debate: build in a fuse that is easy to fix, or build it not to break (though something eventually will, at the worst time, in the worst place)?

Red_Chili
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
BTW, find me a Vader helmet and I will PAINT it red and wear it... :lmao: :lmao:
Got the stitches out today...

Uncle Ben
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Yep, you nailed it.

But it is true that I popped a flange turning on slickrock a few years ago... I stupidly had the rear locker locked, and figgered the tires would just chirpchirpchirp as things came untwisted.

Nope. BANG. MT/Rs at 12 psi grip pretty darn well. :lmao:

Part of my questioning comes from that experience. The flange (stock FJ80) acted as a fuse, saving my axle shaft. When it blew, it did no damage to the splines (though the shock dislodged an axle seal, which happens to be a stock Toyota front axle seal.) So I had a fuse + no damage to the Front Range Off Road Fab Chromo full floater axles. Nor the ARB spiders. I kinda liked that.

So if I put locking hubs in the rear... and Bobby's blurb is to be believed... then I can no longer count on the weaker part (hub gear) blowing without undamaged splines. Or can I? Is Bobby's warning usually the case? Or does the weaker part act truly sacrificially, and the splines are usually fine? What say you? And is an Aisin hub really weaker than a flange?

Age-old debate: build in a fuse that is easy to fix, or build it not to break (though something eventually will, at the worst time, in the worst place)?

When I popped the Aisin on the rear of my 80 on Spike that day is did slightly knock the tops of the splines off.

Red_Chili
05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah that's what I'm lookin' for... did you end up replacing the shaft? Or virtually no damage? Your axles chromo? Or just frozen?

(I could always freeze the hub gears too, join up with someone on a parts freeze run... ?)

Uncle Ben
05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah that's what I'm lookin' for... did you end up replacing the shaft? Or virtually no damage? Your axles chromo? Or just frozen?

(I could always freeze the hub gears too, join up with someone on a parts freeze run... ?)

I have some frozen ones if ya wanna try them. My axles at that time were Christos non flanged Cromos. (Richmond?) I didn't kill it but I didn't do it any good either! I am now running Poly's in both Cruisers in the rear. The Aisin hub I blew that day was stock (unfrozen). I took every Aisin I had (3 sets) and had them all frozen. The ones I put together for Wild Rice consist of frozen hub and spring with BL's inner gear. I'm also running ARB studs and 100 series drive pins.

isotel
05-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Switch it back to Semi Float ;) lol Im serious, id rather carry one Spare stock Shaft, than have to worry about a flange breaking and striping out my $$$ Shafts.

Im a Fan of Build it as strong as possible.. Hi 9's IN SpyderTrax 60 housings.. 40 Splines in the rear ;)

Oh Wait, we live in the real world, where money is an object. i guess ill stick with the:birf:

Rock Dog
05-15-2009, 05:37 PM
After all, the Mini trucks are considered the DARK SIDE........

Bills (wonder if it comes in Red?)

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/darth-vader-deluxe-helmet.jpg

and Squishys...

http://www.vegatransports.com.au/2001/snowspeeder_luke.jpg

Trapper50cal
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Red Five Standing by...

Red_Chili
05-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Switch it back to Semi Float ;) lol Im serious, id rather carry one Spare stock Shaft, than have to worry about a flange breaking and striping out my $$$ Shafts.

Im a Fan of Build it as strong as possible.. Hi 9's IN SpyderTrax 60 housings.. 40 Splines in the rear ;)

No way... I don't worry about them...

Uncle Ben
05-15-2009, 09:56 PM
After all, the Mini trucks are considered the DARK SIDE........

You seen my point behind the point! I thought sure Bill would catch it first.... :lmao::lmao:

corsair23
05-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Seeing your new avatar Bill reminds me of "Eppy Epperman (http://www.bobnelson.com/Reel.wmv)" :D