PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Elliot

jettaglxdriver
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I am doing my own interior repair/freshen up.

I pretty much live in my cruiser for work for no so I decided it's time to clean mine up also.

Last night I pulled out the rear side panels, carpet, and trim, and cleaned up the little rust holes in my wheel wells. I not going to be welding in metal but instead I am going to fiberglass them and apply water proof sound deadening material over them when done. I am then going to apply a layer of sound dampening to the floor and recarpet the cargo area. I plan on building new side panels from wood and covering them also. Pics to follow.

ElliottB
05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Nice! You'll really love the look and feel of a freshened up interior. Mine now looks like it is not 28 years old and should be fairly comfortable when it actually runs!

jettaglxdriver
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
So far I have ground down the rust holes, sprayed them with a por like primer, and filled them over with fiberglass. This weekend I am going to line the wheel wells, and back area with rustoleum DIY bedliner via roller and brush. Since this is going under carpet I'm not too concerned with uber quality. The gallon of this was $50 and I got my supplies at homedepot so I didn't see the need to buy the Herculiner kit for just over $80. I am still on the fence about getting sound deadener like Sludge before I put the pad and carpet down.

jettaglxdriver
05-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Man that bedliner stinks. I don't know if I will be able to drive the truck tomorrow. I might have to take a different vehicle.

jettaglxdriver
05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Anyone have recommendations of a local place to pick up carpet pad and some loop automotive carpet for my project?

jettaglxdriver
05-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Anyone have recommendations of a local place to pick up carpet pad and some loop automotive carpet for my project?

Anyone?

Beater
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
ebay has several businesses that sell getter than oem carpet sets.

jettaglxdriver
05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I must suck at searching because I have been looking all over.

ElliottB
05-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Search IH8MUD forums. You can get the nice carpet kits but they are spendy. I just used office carpet and a heat gun to mold it to the contours of the floor. It's not meant for automotive purposes (obviously) but it is super tough and was free. As for the carpet pad, you can get a huge roll of that at Lowe's/Home Depot for $20 or so.

Try searching craigslist, I always see carpet remnants (i.e.: 9'x20' sections that is more than enough for a vehicle) along with carpet pad for free or next to nothing.

jettaglxdriver
05-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Thats what I'm talking about. I have the heat gun and wanted to pick up some carpet to attempt it myself.

ElliottB
05-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Let me know if you need a hand!