PDA

View Full Version : The definitive dual band mobile thread

nakman
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I am looking for a second mobile rig. I am pretty much committed to a true dual band radio again, just don't see how I can have anything else now that I've tasted the good life... so before I just get another FT8800, curious what else is out there and if anyone has experience or knows someone with something better. Here is what I've found:

Alinco DR-635T ~$390.

ALINCO 144/440 MHz Dual-Band Mobile Transceiver, 50/35 Watts, RX: 87.5 ~ 107.995, 108 ~ 173.995, 335 ~ 479.995 MHz, 200 Memory, Cross-Band Repeat, AM Aircraft Band Reception, Dual Receive

Features:

VHF/UHF full duplex operation includes V/U and U/V modes.
Cross-band repeater function (where permitted: standard on DR-635T)
200 Memory channels
H/M/L power output settings- VHF: 50/25/5W UHF: 35/20/5W
Large 6 character alphanumeric display
Selectable display color illumination (Blue, Violet or amber)
Internal duplexer - single antenna connector
Removable control head can be remotely mounted or allow transceiver to be inverted for optimal speaker placement
Expanded receive range includes FM broadcast band (WFM)
Power supply voltage display
Theft alarm feature
Optional 1200 and 9600 bps packet operation with optional EJ-50U
Digital voice communications with optional EJ-47U
Optional illuminated DTMF EMS-57 microphone (included with DR-635T) allows direct VFO frequency entry and remote control of transceiver
CTCSS & DCS encode and decode plus four different tone bursts
CTCSS Tone and DCS scan
Programmable VFO and Memory scan modes
"Time Out" timer
Cable Clone feature
AM Aircraft band reception (DR-635T only)
Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator
Ignition key activated power on/off feature

nakman
05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Yaesu FT-8800. ~$360

YAESU 144/440 MHz. Dual-Band Mobile Transceiver, 50/35 Watts, RX: 108~520 MHz, 700~999.995 MHz (Cell Blocked), 1000 Memory, Dual Receive

Features:

Wide Frequency Coverage

The FT-8800R provides extended receiver coverage beyond the Amateur bands, so you can keep informed of communication activities in the public safety, commercial, aircraft, and government communications ranges.

Independent Two-Channel Operation

The FT-8800R operates as two radios in one, with either 144 MHz or 430 MHz as the “Main” TX/RX band, while simultaneously monitoring the other band. Each band has its own Volume and Squelch controls. And, if you like, you can configure your FT-8800R for VHF-VHF or UHF-UHF operation, too!

High Power Output

To get your message through when it counts, the FT-8800R puts out a full 50 Watts of power on the 144 MHz band, and 35 Watts on 430 MHz. A thermal sensor monitors heat sink temperature, engaging the rear panel’s cooling fan only when needed.

Over 1000 Memory Channels

The FT-8800R provides a wide variety of memory resources, including 512 "regular" memories on each band, five "Home" channels for favorite frequencies, ten sets of band-edge memories on each band, and six "Hyper Memories" that store complete sets of transceiver operating status configuration.

Large, Easy-to-Read Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)

Affording easy viewing from a wide range of viewing angles, the LCD of the FT-8800R features Yaesu’s renowned Omni-Glow™ display illumination, with four illumination levels available for different environments. You’ll marvel at the crystal-clear frequency display and status indicators, whether you’re operating night or day!

Cross-Band Repeat Capability

For emergency work, or to extend the range of a hand-held unit, the FT-8800R includes Cross-Band Repeat capability, similar to that pioneered on our popular FT-8100R Dual Band FM Mobile!

One-Touch Band-Pattern

To save valuable time while operating a transceiver with the capability of the FT-8800R, the “Hyper Memory” feature allows you to store a complete set of configuration data for the two bands on which you’re operating. Besides the usual storage of frequency and tone data, Hyper Memory will store such setup parameters as Automatic Repeater Shift status, Packet parameters, Scanning mode, and VFO tracking configuration.

50-Tone CTCSS/104-Tone DCS (Digital Code Squelch) Tone Systems

Providing excellent performance even under difficult link conditions, Yaesu’s 50-tone sub-audible CTCSS and 104-tone DCS signaling systems ensure that you have full access to repeater and remote-base inputs, and the built-in CTCSS/DCS decoders allow silent listening on busy channels. Plus you get Tone Search Scanning, which will scan for the tone being received on an incoming signal, allowing you to match tones quickly when operating on a new repeater system.

User-Programmable Microphone Keys

Four programmable keys on the microphone allow you one-touch access to your favorite command functions. The commands available from the microphone replicate the corresponding front panel key functions, and include Band Change, VFO/Memory switching, Home Channel access, 1 MHz frequency steps, Power Output selection, Repeater Reverse, and CTCSS/DCS setup. Customize your microphone for your personal operating style!

Convenient Remote-Head Mounting Capability

With the FT-8800R and its optional YSK-8900 Separation Kit, mounting your radio is a breeze even in the tightest locations. The YSK-8900 includes a 20-foot (6 m) remote cable and mounting bracket for the front panel.

nakman
05-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Kenwood TM-V71A ~$360

KENWOOD 144/440 MHz. Dual-Band Mobile Transceiver, 50 Watts1000 Memory, EchoLink Sysop-Mode Operation, Dual Receive

General Features:

High RF Power Output (50w)
1,000 Multifunction Memory Channels
Dual Receive on Same Band (VxV, UxU)
EchoLink MEMORY (Automatic Dialer)
EchoLink Sysop Mode For Node Terminal Operation
Multiple Scan
Inverible Front Panel
Choice of 2 Backlight Colors (AMBER/GREEN) For The LCD Panel
104-Code Digital Code Squelch
"FIVE-IN-ONE" Programmable Memory

Specifications:

APRS No
ARRL TrablePlus Compatible Yes
Cross Band Repeat Yes
CTCSS Enc/Dec
DCS Enc/Dec
Dual Band Receive Yes
Dual Receive on Same Band (VxV, UxU) Yes
EchoLink Memory Automatic Dialer Yes
EchoLink Sysop Mode For Node Terminal Operation Yes
Extended Receive VHF Band, UHF Band 118-524MHz

VHF Band, UHF Band 118-524MHz 800-1300MHz

excluding cellular band

Memory Channels 1000
Number of Bands 2
Output Power 50W VHF
50W UHF
Packet Cluster Tune No
PC Programmable Yes
Receiver Operating Mode FM-W/FM-N/AM
SkyCommand No
TNC No
Transmit Frequency Range 144-148MHz

430-450MHz
Voice Sunthesizer (Optional) Yes VGS-1
weather Alert Yes
Wide/Narrow FM Yes
Wireless Remote Yes

nakman
05-06-2009, 10:11 PM
So I like the three color options of the Alinco, but I don't trust that one as much as the others for some reason. Also it doesn't look like I can do 2m on both channels, right? So I think that one is out..

I know what I'm doing with the 8800, and that may actually weigh a little here... however the Kenwood seems pretty solid, and the buttons are backlit according to this thread http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=198342 so I'm tempted to go with the Kenwood... anyone have any experience with that one? :confused:

Uncle Ben
05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
So I like the three color options of the Alinco, but I don't trust that one as much as the others for some reason. Also it doesn't look like I can do 2m on both channels, right? So I think that one is out..

I know what I'm doing with the 8800, and that may actually weigh a little here... however the Kenwood seems pretty solid, and the buttons are backlit according to this thread http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=198342 so I'm tempted to go with the Kenwood... anyone have any experience with that one? :confused:

I would say Kenwood also. Specs are nearly the same as the 8800 but backlit buttons tips the scales!

60wag
05-07-2009, 05:55 AM
I still don't see the big deal with the dual radio radio setup. Why not just scan two channels on a single radio? If you actually set it to do a cross band repeat, that'd be cool but then you need a repeater license if you leave it unattended.

Uncle Ben
05-07-2009, 06:49 AM
I still don't see the big deal with the dual radio radio setup. Why not just scan two channels on a single radio? If you actually set it to do a cross band repeat, that'd be cool but then you need a repeater license if you leave it unattended.

Have you used a dual radio setup?

Mendocino
05-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Since you already have Yaesu I would stick with it due to familiarity. I bought a Kenwood HT (which I think is great), but wish I would have purchased the Yaesu since so many club members have this brand and I could leverage the programming of others (Dave's for example). I can certainly program my radio but don't spend as much time doing it as others. Personally, my life is so complicated that I don't need to add another UI and something else to program...:rolleyes:

My .02

MDH33
05-07-2009, 07:47 AM
The FT8800 is on sale at HRO right now. I think I paid ~$330.

nakman
05-07-2009, 07:58 AM
The FT8800 is on sale at HRO right now. I think I paid ~$330.

They have it listed at $350 with the separation kit right now on their site, but still that's pretty good. I really like the colors on that Alinco, but not being able to run 2m on both channels discounts that entirely, plus it's more expensive..

I think the Kenwood is easier to program than the Yaesu, so I'm not as intimidated by that as I may have been a few years ago. Actually still leaning towards the Kenwood, will try to get down to HRO in the next couple weekends to play with one.

Having the mic come from the base unit may not be that bad actually- if I'm going to mount that under the driver's seat, and clip it to the middle hump somewhere, maybe the center of the dash, then that actually could be pretty clean. Again, I need to see one first.

Mendocino
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
If I was to get a Kenwood mobile I think I would go with the D710A. I would really like to have a play with APRS. I had not noticed the mic coming from the body. In the pictures its a little deceiveing...:confused:

wesintl
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't think you'll like the quality of the alinco compared to kenwood or yaesu. I really do like the kenwoods . At some point i'll buy a dual band mobile and i'm not really comitted to yaesu even though I have the 1802 and the 8r.

60wag
05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Have you used a dual radio setup?

No, that's why I'm puzzled as to what the benefit is.

corsair23
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I think the Kenwood is easier to program than the Yaesu, so I'm not as intimidated by that as I may have been a few years ago. Actually still leaning towards the Kenwood, will try to get down to HRO in the next couple weekends to play with one.

Having the mic come from the base unit may not be that bad actually- if I'm going to mount that under the driver's seat, and clip it to the middle hump somewhere, maybe the center of the dash, then that actually could be pretty clean. Again, I need to see one first.

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/Manuals/TM-V71%20English%20O-M.pdf

Mic definitely connects to the base vs the front panel per the manual (pg 92). Not a deal killer, just another wire to run from the rear but...

This thread got me to thinking as I was preparing to buy the FT-8800 despite the fact that the buttons don't light up (still wondering why Yaesu would do that). The Kenwood is nice but looking at the manual for the install I'm not sure I like how the face plate gets mounted (pg 91). Seems big and bulky compared to the Yaesu way.

Didn't Corbet end up buying the Kenwood back when?

Decisions, decisions, decisions :hill:

nakman
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
No, that's why I'm puzzled as to what the benefit is.

Being in two conversations at once. Every day in Moab I was on 146.460 on one channel, and whatever run I was on on the other. And more often talking on one, but wanting to have the other in the background. Was particularly sweet when I wanted to monitor 146.460 to see when I got in range, then when I could hear someone else I'd know it was a good time to check in. Or on the way home I was yakking with Scott on simplex, but monitoring the Colorado Connection on the other. Then I'd switch over to talk on the repeater channel, but still wanted to hear if someone called me on simplex.

Yes maybe all that's possible by monitoring just two frequencies, but once you're transmitting on one are you still monitoring the other? It seems a lot simpler and less confusing to just have two radios, and given the expected life of these things the additional money amortized across that seems well worth it.

nakman
05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
The Kenwood is nice but looking at the manual for the install I'm not sure I like how the face plate gets mounted (pg 91). Seems big and bulky compared to the Yaesu way.

Actually Jeff that doesn't look any more cumbersome than the Yaesu, in if you leave off the "panel bracket" it's pretty much the same thing. I screwed the "sub panel" to the tranny hump, then the faceplate just attaches to it.. looks like the same could be done with the Kenwood. Also 60wag attached his subpanel to that row of switches below the heater controls, which is pretty sweet if you haven't already consumed all of those. And yes one could do it over the radio too, but it would stick out kind of far.

that panel bracket kind of opens up some new options as well, hmm..... thanks for posting that!

corsair23
05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Good to know Tim...I guess I've only really ever seen Matt's setup up close so I'm not sure where everyone else has located their front panel and in what fashion. I like Matt's setup and was going to do the same, with maybe a small LED (red?) shining down onto the panel for night use.

Seems that the biggest advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu is the backlit buttons but cost wise (including remote face kit, extension cables, etc.) it would run me $100+ more. Not sure I need to see the buttons that bad...LOL

60wag
05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
In Moab, I found that when I was talking on the ham, I couldn't really listen to the chat on the CB - it was one or the other. Multitasking tends to leave me doing nothing completely.

As for my band plan in Moab, I had 6 banks set up. Bank 1 is front range channels, bank 2 is I70 Colorado connection repeaters, bank 3 is all the Moab simplex freqs used at CM, bank 4 is my thursday run freq plus 146.460 and the moab repeaters, bank 5 is Friday run + 146.460, bank 6 is Sat run + 146.460 etc. I also had 146.460 assigned to all the banks so it would be included in whatever bank I was scanning.
This made it simple to just pick a bank and hit scan. I could easily go from scanning 4 channels to scanning 18 channels and back to 4. The scan loop took a second or less so not much of a transmission was missed. Overall I think it worked pretty well so I'm still questioning the true benefit of twin radios.

Being in two conversations at once. Every day in Moab I was on 146.460 on one channel, and whatever run I was on on the other. And more often talking on one, but wanting to have the other in the background. Was particularly sweet when I wanted to monitor 146.460 to see when I got in range, then when I could hear someone else I'd know it was a good time to check in. Or on the way home I was yakking with Scott on simplex, but monitoring the Colorado Connection on the other. Then I'd switch over to talk on the repeater channel, but still wanted to hear if someone called me on simplex.

Yes maybe all that's possible by monitoring just two frequencies, but once you're transmitting on one are you still monitoring the other? It seems a lot simpler and less confusing to just have two radios, and given the expected life of these things the additional money amortized across that seems well worth it.

nakman
05-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Good to know Tim...I guess I've only really ever seen Matt's setup up close so I'm not sure where everyone else has located their front panel and in what fashion. I like Matt's setup and was going to do the same, with maybe a small LED (red?) shining down onto the panel for night use.

Seems that the biggest advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu is the backlit buttons but cost wise (including remote face kit, extension cables, etc.) it would run me $100+ more. Not sure I need to see the buttons that bad...LOL

I've got mine screwed to the vertical portion of the tranny hump, below the ashtray. It has been a great place for it, only occasionally have I had to move my head to see something around a gearshift. You're right about the back lights, they're not worth $100 if that's the difference... if you really need to program something at night like a tone or offset, especially initially, you probably oughta be stopped, and in that case just flip the map light on.

Though once you know where you are it's actually not so bad to poke in there while driving, because the radio will stay on whatever option you were last on. Since most of the time you're up at 39 or 40 to do tones and the ENC DEC stuff, it stays up at 39 or 40. Heck, here's another benefit of the dual bands, Scott was asking me for the tone on the Breck repeater, and I was able to pop into the setting and verify that for him, while speaking with him on the other channel.

Pictures of my install location... (though all the LED's are blue now :rolleyes:)

nakman
05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
In Moab, I found that when I was talking on the ham, I couldn't really listen to the chat on the CB - it was one or the other. Multitasking tends to leave me doing nothing completely.

As for my band plan in Moab, I had 6 banks set up. Bank 1 is front range channels, bank 2 is I70 Colorado connection repeaters, bank 3 is all the Moab simplex freqs used at CM, bank 4 is my thursday run freq plus 146.460 and the moab repeaters, bank 5 is Friday run + 146.460, bank 6 is Sat run + 146.460 etc. I also had 146.460 assigned to all the banks so it would be included in whatever bank I was scanning.
This made it simple to just pick a bank and hit scan. I could easily go from scanning 4 channels to scanning 18 channels and back to 4. The scan loop took a second or less so not much of a transmission was missed. Overall I think it worked pretty well so I'm still questioning the true benefit of twin radios.

Well I can agree with that Bruce, a couple time in Moab I was participating in 4 conversations at once... one with Gavin, one on CB, then one on each Ham channel.. got a little silly a couple of times. When you transmit, does your radio continue to scan the other bands? Or does scanning stop? Maybe my problem is I never learned how to program a bank... :o

Hulk
05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I mounted mine in the same place but w/o the cradle. Makes the front face sit more flush to the vertical part of the tranny hump. I mounted it with industrial strength velcro.

corsair23
05-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the pics Tim :thumb:

Matt's is setup real similar to yours only shifted to the right and I don't believe he used the mounting bracket so it sits flush to the console.

Just out of curiousity I shot off an email to Yaesu about whether they ever plan to backlight the buttons on the FT-8800 and the answer I received back was "I have not heard of any plans to change the FT-8800". :(

The price difference is significant between the Kenwood and Yaesu only if you start throwing in the separation kits for the panel and the microphone. Those alone raise the price quite a bit. I know that you can probably make your own extensions so that may no be as big of an issue but that is one of the attractions of the FT-8800 for me because I have GCs for Ham City (I know, bad that I'm not buying local :() and the FT-8800 comes with the separation kit for $340...Throw in $10-$15 for S&H and I'm done.

With the Kenwood it would be $360 for the rig, $42 for the separation kit, $65 for the extension cables, and $36 for the programming cable...$502.80 :eek: plus about $10-$15 for S&H.

I think I'm going to have to learn how to use the FT-8800 in the dark, or come up with a small LED with diffused lighting that I can mount above the panel that will come on with my lights and light up the panel :)

One side note on the dual band discussion. I love the capability on my HT but I've found that I get confused about which "side" I'm hearing the discussion on. Like when I'm listening to the repeater and .460 and hear a call. If I don't look quick I miss which freq the call was on...Probably would be easier with the FT-8800 panel mounted vs. having the HT just sitting on the console to see which is which. I also noticed on the runs with the CB and Ham on it was hard to discern whether the person was talking on the Ham or the CB if I couldn't look (which sometimes you can when you are wheeling :)). Part of that is probably due to the proximity of the CB speaker (on the unit) and the HT speaker (in the mic) to each other.

edit: :lmao: I need to learn to type shorter responses...I started this before Matt posted up :hill:

rover67
05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
We borrowed UB's VX-7r for moab and I really liked the ability to have two channels monitoring at once,, something I miss having with my IC-V8000. It was nice when on the road to monitor the repeater of choice and still leave the same radio on 146.460. At some point i'll have a radio capable of monitoring two channels just because it cuts down the time I spend fooling with it while on the road.

BTW, Kevin, I'll get the radio back to yo unext week, thanks for letting us borrow it!

Uncle Ben
05-07-2009, 11:21 PM
We borrowed UB's VX-7r for moab and I really liked the ability to have two channels monitoring at once,, something I miss having with my IC-V8000. It was nice when on the road to monitor the repeater of choice and still leave the same radio on 146.460. At some point i'll have a radio capable of monitoring two channels just because it cuts down the time I spend fooling with it while on the road.

BTW, Kevin, I'll get the radio back to yo unext week, thanks for letting us borrow it!

What....not coming to breakfast in the am? :confused:

BTW No rush on the HT....been to busy to strip down to the briefs and play high tech trucker lately....

rover67
05-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Nope, no breakfast for me, had to fly out of town for work again :0/

corsair23
05-15-2009, 11:18 PM
So Tim...Have you come to any conclusions? :)

nakman
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I think I'm going with the FT-8800 again. But I'm going to go HRO to play with them first, and see what I think of the Kenwood, then bottom line see what the out the door price is on each setup. Want to go? will likely do next Saturday morning, I'll start a separate thread for that...

corsair23
05-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I think I'm going with the FT-8800 again. But I'm going to go HRO to play with them first, and see what I think of the Kenwood, then bottom line see what the out the door price is on each setup. Want to go? will likely do next Saturday morning, I'll start a separate thread for that...

FT-8800 it is...I noticed something on the Alinco, or maybe it was the Icom, rig that Yaesu should SERIOUSLY consider doing. I don't recall if the rig has lit up buttons but right above the buttons on the screen is an indicator of what the button's function below is. Might require the face of the FT-8800 to be redesigned a bit but I think if they are not going to light up the buttons then they could borrow this trick to aid users in night ops :thumb:

wesintl
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
anyone have the kenwood 710? hants?

Mendocino
01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't have it but would buy it if I wanted a dual band rig with APRS. I ended up going with the 857d for the HF and the ability to bring it in the house and use it as a base station.

Corbet
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I have the Kenwood TM-V71A. Buttons have back lights. You can change the display to green on the head unit but not the mic. The green does not match an 80's dash perfectly.

You can upgrade it to the 710 from what I have read. Someday I might if APRS becomes more wide spread.

I'm a slacker on learning all its features so don't ask me too many specifics.

pic

MountainMan
01-20-2010, 07:47 AM
I am sporting the Yaesu VX-7R for my HT and a Kenwood D710 for my mobile. I love the D710 and APRS is cool. We use it a lot as part of the ARES group I am in, plus when out on the trail my wife can hit this website http://aprs.fi/ and see how close to home i am, or am not :)

wesintl
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
what antenna do you have with the 710 and what gps do you have it hooked to Taft?

K7DFA
02-24-2013, 10:44 AM

In amateur radio, there is no separate "repeater license", your "Primary Station License IS your license to set up, activate, and operate a repeater, or even more than one repeater, (on Amateur Radio Frequencies ONLY)! The things that you have to make sure of, for a X-band repeater are:

1. In a cross-band repeater, BOTH inputs/outputs MUST be either on a pre-designated FM simplex, (see both the ARRL and local band-plans, if applicable), or repeater sub-band frequency. Both frequencies are alternately an input and an output frequency and they must NOT "splatter" into other "sub-bands" within either of the bands being utilized, or interfere with other repeaters, or other operators on other adjacent frequencies. You SHOULD discuss the setup of a cross-band repeater with the frequency coordinator for your area, and get your cross-band repeater COORDINATED, even if the operation is temporary, a coordinated repeater has "priority", in the event of a conflict with another, (uncoordinated), repeater, and the coordinator would be derelict if he coordinated your repeater on the same pair as another repeater. If a "SNP", (Shared Non-protected Pair) on each band isn't in use, you may decide to use them, or use half, (outputs ONLY), of one on each band, if your operation is temporary, just be absolutely certain that they're NOT "in use"!
2. In a cross-band repeater BOTH of the frequencies being utilized, MUST have the repeater identification sent in an acceptable fashion, (voice, MCW, [or both], in instances where FM voice is being used), as the F.C.C. does not "waive" the identification requirements under any circumstances.
3. You MUST have a means to render the repeater "inoperative" within three,(or is it ten?), minutes in the event that it is being interfered with, or is causing undue interference to other operations on the frequencies that you are using, or to adjacent frequencies that are in use by other operators, repeaters, etc. !
PS: I used to thain that I'd always want to only have single band radios, since : "If you send your radio to the shop for repairs, you're really missing two radios", then I acquired my first dual-band HT, an Alinco DJ-G5T! :D:D:D

K7DFA
02-24-2013, 10:53 AM

In amateur radio, there is no separate "repeater license", your "Primary Station License IS your license to set up, activate, and operate a repeater, or even more than one repeater, (on Amateur Radio Frequencies ONLY)! The things that you have to make sure of, for a X-band repeater are:

1. In a cross-band repeater, BOTH inputs/outputs MUST be either on a pre-designated FM simplex, (see both the ARRL and local band-plans, if applicable), or repeater sub-band frequency. Both frequencies are alternately an input and an output frequency and they must NOT "splatter" into other "sub-bands" within either of the bands being utilized, or interfere with other repeaters, or other operators on other adjacent frequencies. You SHOULD discuss the setup of a cross-band repeater with the frequency coordinator for your area, and get your cross-band repeater COORDINATED, even if the operation is temporary, a coordinated repeater has "priority", in the event of a conflict with another, (uncoordinated), repeater, and the coordinator would be derelict if he coordinated your repeater on the same pair as another coordinated repeater. If a "SNP", (Shared Non-protected Pair) on each band isn't in use, you may decide to use them, or use half, (outputs ONLY), of one on each band, if your operation is temporary, just be absolutely certain that they're NOT "in use"!
2. In a cross-band repeater BOTH of the frequencies being utilized, MUST have the repeater identification sent in an acceptable fashion, (voice, MCW, [or both], in instances where FM voice is being used), as the F.C.C. does not "waive" the identification requirements under any circumstances.
3. You MUST have a means to render the repeater "inoperative" within three,(or is it ten?), minutes in the event that it is being interfered with, or is causing undue interference to other operations on the frequencies that you are using, or to adjacent frequencies that are in use by other operators, repeaters, etc. !
PS: I used to thain that I'd always want to only have single band radios, since : "If you send your radio to the shop for repairs, you're really missing two radios", then I acquired my first dual-band HT, an Alinco DJ-G5T! :D:D:D