PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a desmog on a 2F?

ElliottB
05-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I am in the middle of getting rid of the air pump, smog pump, and all of the superfluous hoses and junk on my 2F. Does anyone local have a 60 that has been desmogged? I could really use an example to look at in person so I know what to work towards. I am definitely a 2F noob. Thanks!

Crash
05-07-2009, 10:08 PM
No need to pass CO emissions? CO as in Colorado, that is.

Hulk
05-08-2009, 12:10 AM
IMO, it won't run any better de-smogged than it does with all the spaghetti on it. Why go to the effort to rip all that stuff out when it's not going to give you any discernible benefit?

ElliottB
05-08-2009, 01:38 AM
It will be registered in a county that does not require emissions testing.

Also, I am looking to simplify the 2F's mechanics. It will not gain me any power but it will give me better dependability and simplicity. Also it will free up some area in the engine bay for dual batteries, air compressor, etc.

Air Randy
05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I desmogged my 40, should be close to the same. I just removed all of the vacuum hoses, air pump, air rail, vsv valves, etc. You then install plugs into the head for the holes left by the air rail removal (available from Toyota). On my rig you end up with 1 vacuum line from the base of the carb to the distributor advance and 1 larger line from the carb base to the pcv valve.

You do need to check the remaining ports that had hoses connected before on the various sensors to make sure none of them have engine vacuum on them. You can get the little caps from Checker to block them off if they do.

If any of the current mess is leaking vacuum then cleaning it up will help. If there are no leaks currently you wont see much improvement unless you get a little quicker vacuum advance by having a direct hook up. It will make trouble shooting issues in the future much easier.

You do need to make sure you know if your 60 has any vacuum operated features like driveline shifters or heater doors, etc. Probably best if you dont rip those hoses out:D

MDH33
05-08-2009, 07:31 AM
The only way I would consider a desmog on a 60 would be if I changed out the carb to something simpler like an early Aisin 2 barrel. So much on the 60 is vacuum controlled that it would be a nightmare to figure it all out and have it work properly. However, it has been done and there are threads on MUD if you search. Good luck. :thumb:

BreckBJ44
05-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I have done a few. I did get a performance increase, but that is probably beause my smog stuff was proably not working too well. I did a Chenoweth rebuild on my carb to stop up or take out of circuit all of the systems that are involved with the smog. made for a super clean install and a great running rig , even up here at 10K feet. If you get rid of the smog pump alone, you will get better performance. I don't come on too often so if you want help (i'll be in denver most of next week and weekend) send em an email kraig @ colorado .net .

Rzeppa
05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Disclaimer: Removing or tampering with any factory equipped smog equipment is a violation of federal law!

That said, there is a "proper" way to desmog a 60. There are a lot of considerations, and one needs to know how all the systems work and interact before the undertaking. Among the more important things is to recurve the distributor weights/springs to avoid pinging if the EGR system is disabled/removed.

There have been numerous discussions on this subject on the LCML over the years, and probably on mud too. Last I checked (sorry don't have the link handy), Rich Adams was hosting a diagram from Jim Chenowith with detailed instructions on vacuum spagetti (what to keep and what to toss), but that did not include recurving the distributor.

ElliottB
05-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I am recurving the distributor and adjusting the carb accordingly. I am probably going to just run a devaned smog pump instead of paying the extra $ for an empty pulley. I've got the hardware to cap the air rail holes on the head as well as new silicon tubing for the few vaccuum tubes that I will be running. Now I just need to get the head off and rebuilt.

Trapper50cal
05-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Sorry I'm not closer man, my desmog is Chenoweth Approved. I can take more detailed pics if you get stuck. But like I said on Mud, I deleted my High Altitude Compensator so my timing is always at 13degrees advanced of TDC since I live at 6000ft. I would have to dial it back to 7 degrees if I went below 4300. Some may want to keep the HAC and I have no idea how that would look.

wesintl
05-10-2009, 02:21 PM
It's all on mud. Seach and you'll find a ton of threads on it.

Here are a couple
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/smog/72706FJ60desmog.jpg

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/188643-my-desmog-thread-3.html#post2980197

ElliottB
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Sorry I'm not closer man, my desmog is Chenoweth Approved. I can take more detailed pics if you get stuck. But like I said on Mud, I deleted my High Altitude Compensator so my timing is always at 13degrees advanced of TDC since I live at 6000ft. I would have to dial it back to 7 degrees if I went below 4300. Some may want to keep the HAC and I have no idea how that would look.

I'm keeping my HAC because I probably will not be in Denver for very long. I really appreciate all of your pics on that thread, they have helped a ton.

Rezarf
05-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I just started cutting lines and hoses... it worked out fine ;)

Just kidding, but my 40 is desmogged, as Wes linked above, Mud has some good step by steps.

Jim C. also has some good info if you search under his name on Mud... it slips me now (Jim C. I think, anyone?)

Drew

Trapper50cal
05-10-2009, 10:25 PM
It's FJ40jim I think...

Rzeppa
05-11-2009, 06:00 PM
It's FJ40jim I think...

fj40jim@aol.com

Jim Chenoweth in Ohio. He was building VW TDIs for racing with 25 pounds of boost last I spoke with him. Incredible gearhead and fantastic nice guy. I leanred a lot from Jim.