PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on shops...

BreckBJ44
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I posted before about exhust systems and many of you said to go to Bud's on SantaFe Great decision. They did a great job.

Now I need some help with a few other things. I have a leak in my coolant system and I think it might be the rad. anyone know of a good radiator shop that can do a recore or sell me a replacement. I have a 1981 BJ44 so I can't use a stock 2F rad as the inlet/output are different.

Also, Does anyone know of a good diesel shop that can do a compression test, check the timing, and check or rebuild the injectors?

Thanks all!

K

DaveInDenver
05-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I had my radiator rebuilt at Aurora Radiator a couple of years ago, they did a great job. I had them rod it out and it came back looking brand friggin' new inside (nice clean copper inside where I could see at least) and out. I want to say it was $60 or something that seemed fair.

wesintl
05-08-2009, 04:34 PM
if you pull the injectors http://www.centralmotivepower.com/ can test them and tell you if they need new tips and do the work. Diesels only off alameda i'm sure can do a compression check, You could also just buy a diesel compression test kit.http://www.handsontools.com/Star-Products-TU-15-52-Global-Diesel-Compression-Test-Set_p_8376.html kittredge radiator is also another recommendation on radiator service.

Rzeppa
05-09-2009, 02:21 PM
I would also suggest fellow Rising Sun member (and Toyota Trails Tech Editor) Robbie Antonson (powderpig on this forum) for any diesel work. He is a trained and experienced diesel tech. I use Jeffco Radiator in Lakewood for my radiator work.

Uncle Ben
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I would also suggest fellow Rising Sun member (and Toyota Trails Tech Editor) Robbie Antonson (powderpig on this forum) for any diesel work. He is a trained and experienced diesel tech. I use Jeffco Radiator in Lakewood for my radiator work.

Robbie went camping this weekend but he will be around on monday I'm sure.

Rzeppa
05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
kittredge radiator is also another recommendation on radiator service. I forgot to mention that Jeffco Radiator was formerly Kittredge Auto Radiator; I had used them for many years. They moved from Colfax in Golden to Harlan St. & 1st in Lakewood. (303) 225-9375. I used them last around a year ago. Good folks, professional service. Obviously you save a lot by bringing them your radiator instead of having them do the R&R.

PabloCruise
05-10-2009, 07:33 AM
x2 for Robbie, aka PowderPig

BreckBJ44
05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know how mucha a BJ/FJ40 rad recore or rebuild might cost?

Thanks!

Kraig

Rzeppa
05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know how mucha a BJ/FJ40 rad recore or rebuild might cost?

Thanks!

Kraig

Generally speaking, they will boil it out, perform minor repairs (like re-brazing the seam from the tank to the rods) and put a quick coat of paint on it for around $80-$100.