PDA

View Full Version : 10th Annual Father's Day Run

Rzeppa
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Bring your father! Bring your kids! Let your kids drive :eek:

I will be leading our tenth annual Father's Day trail ride on Spring Creek Trail on Sunday June 21st. The trail is moderate to difficult. It used to do-able in a stocker with a good driver, but in recent years has become more difficult for a stocker, so 33s and a rear locker are recommended. With a small group, this is a half day trail. This run has become very popular in our club and will probably take longer, typically getting back to I-70 in Georgetown around 3:00 PM or so.

As always, the amount of time will depend on our group size, trail traffic and (hopefully not) breakage or mechanical issues. Tools and spares are recommended. We will be in cell phone coverage most of the way, and within hiking distance of civilization.

We will meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho (Evergreen Parkway) exit of I-70 at 8:00AM and depart at 8:30 AM. The trailhead is off the Downieville exit of I-70. We will start on CB channel 4, but if we get stepped on by too many others we will switch to channel 5. Those coming from the west feel free to join up with us as we breeze through Downieville.

The trail starts near Downieville, and ends up either at I-70 in Georgetown or on CO-103 near Chicago Creek, depending on the route out we choose to take. The trail gets progressively more difficult as we go up until we reach the rock garden. The "big obstacle" is the rock garden near the top. There is sort of a winding bypass, but it too is difficult, and has become more so in recent years. There are several interesting obstacles before that, including a steep shelf that might remind you of Moab, a hill where we had a rollover a few years ago, but has a bypass, another dirt hill with no bypass, a difficult rocky hill after a sharp left with no bypass, and then the rock garden. After the rock garden the trail is still difficult until we reach the meadow at the top. After the meadow, it is an easy Subaru-grade drive out on dirt forest roads to either I-70 or CO-103.

Traffic back to Denver has been an issue the last several years, with stop and go on I-70. We can take take the frontage roads all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs if necessary, where the traffic generally thins out. We will play it by ear (or eyes) and see what route we take home. If we drop down into Georgetown, you can see whether I-70 is clogged with traffic from the switchbacks high above.

Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin. This is always a fun trail and good time.

Happy cruisin'!

Red_Chili
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM
*Might* be able to make it... we will see! :thumb:

Bikeman
05-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Will try, too.

I would emphasize heavily the fact that the trail can get heavily conjested and backed up just before the rock garden. I have seen upto 20 rigs waiting to go thru. The switchback before the rock garden is also very difficult now for even a vehicle with 33's and one locker, due to the pointy rocks sticking up. Every year, old man winter changes the trail drastically. Not wanting to scare anyone off, though. Most wheelers are anxious to wheel it in June since it is not doable in the winter. I would also plan for a full day unless you start early.

Gmann
05-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Will note it on my calender. I took my Father two years ago and now maybe I can talk my Father in Law to ride along this year as my dad is recovering from a knee replacement. :cheers:

JadeRunner
05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Sounds good, the sooner we can get started the better. We should just make the meeting place at the Burger King in Downieville where we air down. That could save us about 20-30 minutes.

rover67
05-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I'll make this run. I'd suggest just meeting at Downeyville too if we could. may get us on the trail sooner and it's easy to find anyways..

Rzeppa
05-11-2009, 06:39 PM
We will meet at the McDonald's at El Rancho, it is also easy to find. There is no time saved one way or the other no matter whether we meet at the BK in Downieville or the McD's in El Rancho. If there are folks coming from the west, they can catch us either as we breeze by the BK in Downieville or when we air down at the trailhead.

Happy cruisin'!

Hulk
05-11-2009, 10:31 PM
The suggestion actually will save time, since your meeting spot and air-down spot would be the same. It's similar to a suggestion Cheeseman made to me a few years back concerning Elephant Hill. He said, "Air down at the Visitor's Center, then drive to the trail head and begin the trail immediately." It would save you 15-20 minutes easily, since you won't need to get everyone in motion twice.

It's a good suggestion, but it's your call of course.

Romer
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
When I led Fins I air down (if foks havent) outside City market. The only stop at the trail head is if someone has to lock hubs. Saves about 20 minutes.

Inukshuk
06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
So, who all is going? I'm thinking.....

Tch2fly
06-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I am planning on going:thumb:

MountainGoat
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
We are in. Wife, 3 yr old daughter and me in the 80. Woohoo! :thumb:

Rzeppa
06-16-2009, 12:02 AM
We are in. Wife, 3 yr old daughter and me in the 80. Woohoo! :thumb:

Oh comon Dan, you know the 40 would do better!

MountainGoat
06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
The 40 would be more challenging. Hmm. It's a little tough without a back seat, though. :hill:

Hmm. Maybe we could put the car seat in the middle with me an the :Princess: up front too and I could still have room to shift the 3 on the tree and work the armstrong power steering. NOT! :lmao:

Actually this would be a great setup if I wanted the :Princess: to decide she hates wheeling, which I don't, so I won't. Nice try. :p:

See you Sunday in the 80!

JadeRunner
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm going with my little kids. So where are we airing down Mr. flexible?;) Not a lot of room at the trailhead ya know.

MountainGoat
06-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Dogpile on Zepp! :eek:

Air Randy
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Dee and I are going too, but we have to trailer the ol' Mule to Downieville and unload next to the BK. If anyone else would like to meet next to the BK I'll be there between 8:30 and 9.

I think I still have a spike strip some where from my cop days. I'll bet we can get the rest of the group to at least slow down as they go by on the frontage road :lmao:

Caribou Sandstorm
06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I think we will try to make this but need to know how long roughly, I know a guestimate, will we be on trail..This will be Olive France's first trail and I want to make sure it is not a super long day.

She is 5 months old!

Red_Chili
06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I can't make it. Driving up there and driving all day would be a bit sketch since my relationship with my knee is still... young...

But I don't have the Chili repaired from CM damage yet either.

:(

Air Randy
06-16-2009, 11:07 AM
We ran it last week. It depends on how many vehicles are in the group, whether they take hard lines and struggle or sail right through the obstacles. We left the BK at about 11 and got back there at 4:30. There were no vehicles in front of us and we didn't suffer too many delays for vehicles getting through the bad spots.

Another BIG factor is how many vehicles from other groups are ahead of you where you have no control. If they dont follow the "3 tries then take a strap or the bypass" rule you could get hung up for hours.

JadeRunner
06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I think we will try to make this but need to know how long roughly, I know a guestimate, will we be on trail..This will be Olive France's first trail and I want to make sure it is not a super long day.

She is 5 months old!

It's not uncommon to return to pavement between 4-5pm. It has happened in the past on this run based on all the variables. Granted we could keep you near the beginning so you could take off from the rock garden early if needed.

Rzeppa
06-16-2009, 11:20 PM

She is 5 months old!

In a small group (4-5 or less) of rigs with experienced drivers with no trail traffic and no breakage this can be a 3-4 hour run just as our BOWAGWR was last week was. In reality, we normally make it back to I-70 around 4-ish with a larger group, some trail traffic and minor breakage. Any major breakage will be dealt with in such a way that the main group isn't delayed too much, as in, "you guys keep on going and we'll stay behind and fix this or strap him out".

So the short answer to your question, is around 5-6 hours on the main tough part of the trail, including stops for obstacles, photo opportunities and lunch. It's about an hour's worth of easy driving down forest service roads on the switchbacks down to Georgetown. Traffic on I-70 can be stop and go and we have found ways past it on the frontage roads should it be jammed as it often is at this time of year.

mtnrunner
06-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm trying to talk the wife into going with me on this one. It will be the inaugural run for the 79'. I'm trying to get the sliders welding on in time too. So much to do, so little time.

JadeRunner
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Jeff,
We want to see you take the Rock Garden with your 40 this year - just like the old days. Don't worry about leader responsibility's at that point. Have fun. We got your back.

Rzeppa
06-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm trying to talk the wife into going with me on this one. It will be the inaugural run for the 79'. I'm trying to get the sliders welding on in time too. So much to do, so little time.

You don't need no stinkin; sliders, you got a mini truck! Just wheel it, it's all good!

Rzeppa
06-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Jeff,
We want to see you take the Rock Garden with your 40 this year - just like the old days. Don't worry about leader responsibility's at that point. Have fun. We got your back.

Thanks Scott for the encouragement. Just hold my beer and watch this sh!t. LOL! :lmao:

mtnrunner
06-20-2009, 03:12 PM
My Brother and I (Both Yotas 4runner, mini) will meet you guys at the BK in Downeyville at 9am.

See you all there!

Mark

Uncle Ben
06-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Just hold my beer and watch this sh!t. LOL! :lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::bowdown::bowdown::flamingo: :hill:

timmbuck2
06-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I can't make it. Driving up there and driving all day would be a bit sketch since my relationship with my knee is still... young...

But I don't have the Chili repaired from CM damage yet either.

:(

feel free to ride with me and Ty

rover67
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
i'll be happy if I can make it through the garden.

c yall in the morning.

JadeRunner
06-21-2009, 12:07 AM
We will miss you up there this year Bill.

Glad your going Marco.

The kids and I will be at the Burger King aired down and ready to go by 9am.

tipito147
06-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I want to see pics!!!!

FJBRADY
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I want to see pics!!!!

Go to Home then trip reports and events and you will find pics on the fathers day run