PDA

View Full Version : Recruiters- experiences? Knowledge?

Red_Chili
03-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Anyone ever work with TEKSystems, know of them, work for them, hire candidates they supplied, other info? I am considering them. They have a very interesting technical project manager position open.

Howzbout Prism Group? They seem a notch or half-notch below, just first impressions. They have an ERP analyst/implementation project d00d position that also sounds interesting to me.

Either would be a significant pay raise to me. Nice to know there is a vibrant, growing world outside of Larry's little kingdom. I don't speak Hindi so I don't think there is much future here...:p:

PabloCruise
03-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Bill,

It is always more effective to try to go direct w/ the Co, so they don't end up paying the agency another 20% on top.

The Mrs. is a recruiter, but not with TEK or Prism...

timmbuck2
03-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Anyone ever work with TEKSystems, know of them, work for them, hire candidates they supplied, other info? I am considering them. They have a very interesting technical project manager position open.

Howzbout Prism Group? They seem a notch or half-notch below, just first impressions. They have an ERP analyst/implementation project d00d position that also sounds interesting to me.

Either would be a significant pay raise to me. Nice to know there is a vibrant, growing world outside of Larry's little kingdom. I don't speak Hindi so I don't think there is much future here...:p:

I was an independent consultant for 5 years. TEKSystems called me approx. 5 times a week with "hot" jobs. I don't think they ever even got me an interview. YMMV. If you have not seen the position listed anywhere else, then go for it. But check around first, the jobs that they called me about they usually quoted me an hourly rate 25-50% less than anywhere else. I worked for another ERP specific consulting company in Denver, and I knew the actual rates, and TEKSystem was usually far below what others were paying. All that said, they do sometimes get the exclusive rights to a position, so go for it after doing a little digging. Never heard of Prism group, but these smaller companies change their name every year or 2 to throw people off the trail. :)

T
:beer: :hill: :beer:

PS-What ERP are you experienced with??

Red_Chili
03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Ouch! THAT doesn't sound so good.

So far, the two recruiters I have spoken with are talking a pay RAISE for me, even accounting for tacking on health insurance, but an offer is more substantive than talk...

JDE OneWorld, aka EnterpriseOne. I know its structure intimately. SQLServer, Oracle, some DB2/UDB (the worst excuse for a db, and the most painful that I've seen frankly), minimal DB2/400, mostly Windows with a smattering of all UNIX, going in the project management direction. If it's data I'm all over it. Control systems engineering background too, designed a series of PLC-based integrated low voltage control systems for federal and state detention facilities while learning PLCs (I had stood next to one, once :lmao: but had low voltage field experience - a lot of it - at the time, and they needed someone) also while managing a group of junior engineers.

Current position is somewhere between the PVC/CM world, and what is known in OneWorld space as CNC analysis, with a lot of database work and build problem resolution as well. I like managing projects and shortening/improving processes.

timmbuck2
03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Go for it after you research it a little. You never know...and it doesn't hurt to try.

I worked for PeopleSoft as a Senior Technical Consultant, been doing PeopleSoft for about 10 years now. I am the PM for PeopleSoft at Denver Water now, had to get off the road so we could start a family. :)

T
Good Luck!! :beer: :hill: :beer:

Ouch! THAT doesn't sound so good.

So far, the two recruiters I have spoken with are talking a pay RAISE for me, even accounting for tacking on health insurance, but an offer is more substantive than talk...

JDE OneWorld, aka EnterpriseOne. I know its structure intimately. SQLServer, Oracle, some DB2/UDB (the worst excuse for a db, and the most painful that I've seen frankly), minimal DB2/400, mostly Windows with a smattering of all UNIX, going in the project management direction. If it's data I'm all over it. Control systems engineering background too, designed a series of PLC-based integrated low voltage control systems for federal and state detention facilities while learning PLCs (I had stood next to one, once :lmao: but had low voltage field experience - a lot of it - at the time, and they needed someone) also while managing a group of junior engineers.

Current position is somewhere between the PVC/CM world, and what is known in OneWorld space as CNC analysis, with a lot of database work and build problem resolution as well. I like managing projects and shortening/improving processes.

Red_Chili
03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Go for it after you research it a little. You never know...and it doesn't hurt to try.

I worked for PeopleSoft as a Senior Technical Consultant, been doing PeopleSoft for about 10 years now. I am the PM for PeopleSoft at Denver Water now, had to get off the road so we could start a family. :)

T
Good Luck!! :beer: :hill: :beer:
Hmmmm. You're a tech PM at Denver Water, eh? Hmmmm.... keep me in mind.

I spoke to a couple guys at TEK this afternoon and they have a position I am a dead-true fit for. Not so much PM stuff, though it requires it (don't all small companies???), and salary-wise it's only a slight raise, but culture, careerpath, and growth are smokin'. 4 weeks of wheeling vacation too, once I go perm. Till then, it's my nickel.

100% of the contract-to-hire folks have gone permanent and he is looking for JDE folks (must know something about JDE, I've spent 8 years becoming a Senior Software Engineer/Team Lead). Great mission statement too, I can get my heart around it (that's the little liberal in me... yeah, there is one... right next to the little greenie.. ).

nakman
03-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Bill, I don't think they let dark siders work at Denver Water, just real Cruisers.. preferably wagons. :lmao:

wesintl
03-17-2006, 05:04 PM
I've had good luck with 2 of them. Not the ones mentioned. I would have liked to find something on my own but I needed the contacts which they had. It's worked out for me so far. On to bigger and better things hopefully :D

Red_Chili
03-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Precisely how things seem to be working out. Structurally, they are motivated to place you well, because it helps them $$$ and it helps their reputation which helps them $$$. I would have never known about one particular position that sounds promising....:thumb:

SO far, it seems that the higher paid consultant types can do better on their own, but for us in-the-trenches dweebs the jobshops seem to be filling a niche. At least, that is what I can predict the feedback from others to be: higher paid consultant, they don't care for 'em. Low life geeks, they like 'em.

Being a low-life geek, well.... you do the math.

:cheers: