PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an HVLP spray gun

Jacket
05-11-2009, 08:53 AM
How should I do it? Can I run paint thinner through the sprayer the same way paint does, or do I need to disassemble it and soak the parts?

Uncle Ben
05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
How should I do it? Can I run paint thinner through the sprayer the same way paint does, or do I need to disassemble it and soak the parts?

first off spray L thinner through the gun. Then clean anything that still has paint on it with a small bush and L thinner

4RunrFTW
05-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm weird, but I disassemble mine after every run and make sure the nozzle is clear and the needle doesn't have anything left on it. Otherwise, just spray thinner through it to clear everything else. You don't want things drying on the nozzle, esp. in the needle holes for spray control.

Beater
05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
soak and blow.

treerootCO
05-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Turn the PSI up when you spray the L-thinner through and make sure to remove your mask. L-thinner fog makes the world happy again :hill:...then you pass out.

and yes, I am kidding.

Tch2fly
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
soak and blow.

Yes Alex ..... what is "a great weekend in Glenwood Springs"?

:D

Hulk
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Yes Alex ..... what is "a great weekend in Glenwood Springs"?

:D

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

sleeoffroad
05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Painter guy showed me how to do it. With thinner in the can, loosen the spray direction ring thingymabob a little. Then push a rag over the nozzle (to block the spray) and pull trigger. It "backwashes" the gun and cleans the inside. Then dump the thinner, put clean in the can and spray out after you tightened the tighnimabob again.

Rezarf
05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I ran Laquer thinner through mine, then did as Slee described above after reading that tip on a hot rod forum. You can also shoot it into an old dry water bottle and recycle it for other laquer thinning tasks.

Drew