PDA

View Full Version : FJ62 No start

mattskiboo
05-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Ok so, Im really pulling my hair out here. Now the Diag Connections are Rusted to no end, not sure if that did anything but the jumper of the two connections did nothing. Now, Fuel is getting to the Filer at least. I am getting spark. Pump is pumping, Car runs when you dump some gas down the intake. The Pump was bad as well, but its still odd that its not Starting. I drove it to work just fine, Sat all day, I came back out, just turns over and thats it. So I dont know how to 100% check the EFI relay. All the fueses in the cabin are fine. No problem. I cant find any other boxes, with fuses, relays, nothing. I cant even find a manual for this thing easily. So if I can get more ideas, more clues, some way I can fix this without throwing everything at it, it would be so great.

THANKS!

Chris
05-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Find yourself a used diagnostic box so you know what you're looking for. You can get a FSM directly from Toyota and worth every penny.

60wag
05-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm no expert on 62's but I thought they had chronic issues with the fuel pressure regulator.

Crash
05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
FPR problems show themselves when the engine is hot and won't start. There is a relay that sits on the passenger fender all by itself and it is the EFI relay. It's not a regular problem though and I would suspect the fuel pressure regulator which sits on the firewall side of the fuel rail. The FPR sits on the front end of the same rail and should be replaced as a preventive maintenance item if it is over 100K miles old. The FPR has a screw under the cap that comes loose, pops out and throws fuel pressure off. How do you know that you have pressure at the fuel filter? There is an 800 number for Toyota publications and that is way to purchase an OEM FSM. If the diagnostic box is really all rusted out then I'd get that fixed up first so you can at least look at codes the ECU may be throwing.

DaveInDenver
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I would suspect the fuel pressure regulator which sits on the firewall side of the fuel rail. The FPR sits on the front end of the same rail and should be replaced as a preventive maintenance item if it is over 100K miles old
Two regulators? If it's like the early 22R-E, the rear most one is the fuel pressure regulator (with the vacuum port) and the front is a pulse damper. My 22R-E only has the FPR and they eliminated the pulse damper from the fuel rail I think in 1989 for some reason.

Crash
05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Two regulators? If it's like the early 22R-E, the rear most one is the fuel pressure regulator (with the vacuum port) and the front is a pulse damper. My 22R-E only has the FPR and they eliminated the pulse damper from the fuel rail I think in 1989 for some reason.

You are right Dave, I'm losing my mind today looking for the T-bolts that secure the RTT to the rack and can't find them. Major distraction! Pulse damper is what I was thinking of and it is the part on the fuel rail near the firewall. Thanks for the correction.

nakman
05-11-2009, 04:51 PM
You can get a Haynes manual at Checker/Napa and it's actually pretty decent- not as good as the Toyota FSM but 1/4 the price, and it definitely shows you the diagnostic stuff using the jumper wire.

Sorry not much help on the starting issue but post up if it ever won't shift out of 4WD... I know that one! :)

powderpig
05-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I have read some other posts on mud. How much fuel are you getting to the filter, a small stream? Or is it really sparying all over?
If it is not that much, you have a fuel pump issue. If you have a bunch, then it is in either the damper or more likey the pressure reg.
If you have no power to the fuel pump, then it will be in one of the other places people have suggested.
If jumping power to the F+ pin at the digonstic connector is not working(and you have power at the pin). You may have a wiring problem.
You have made it sound like you have some fuel, but not a bunch. My hunch is you have a Fuel pump problem from what you have stated. So what kind of flow do you have?

mattskiboo
05-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Ok guys sorry, its been a mess with me. Working and my car int he IBM parking Lot. This is whats going on now, and i upset people on mud so i left. Maybe you guys will be better help, and i hope some of you remember the young kid with the FJ60.. that was me.

Sorry.. Yes I did chec the Diag method. FP and +B. Did not change anything. I disconnected the like to the fuel filter to realize its not pumping fuel. Though we thought it was. So back the fuel pump. I did replace it, and I tested the old one and it was sticking. So it might have been on it way out. So by taking off the fuel line to the filter, fuel isnt leaving the tank. Even with the Diag Method in place. I used the Normal connections it already had. So regardless of the banjo connection, Fuel isnt leaving the tank. The pump isnt working, though being new. Iv checked every fuse I can find. Im hoping I dont have to drop the tank again but if I need to, I will. So to sum it up, back to square one, Fuel pump was replaced, Fuel is not getting to the filter/engine, cant hear the pump, though its loud here at IBM. All fuses and relays I can find have been checked.

powderpig
05-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Run a hot wire from the battery to the fuel pump wire at the tank. See if the pump will turn. Make sure the ground is grounding properly or make a new one.
What kind of Fuel pump did you buy? Hopefully you sent money on a OEM one (Asain or denso).
Before you try the wire idea, With the FP to B+ wire jumped, do you have 12.5 or better volts to one of the wires at the fuel tank. If not you will need to trace this back to see where the voltage is stopped.

mattskiboo
05-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok, Well It was from Autozone becuase for some reason its hard to find parts in a pinch for these things.. Which I forgot. But im going to be doing some traces.. any way to check without dropping the tank again?

mattskiboo
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
So, Patricia is working.. I had to replace 3 feet of the power line to the fuel pump that might just have gone when I put the tank back up. HAHAHAHA. WOW. Thank you guys so much. So in the end it was a Fuel pump and 3 feet of wire. Never a dull day with me.

corsair23
05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Congrats on getting it running again :thumb: