PDA

View Full Version : Ouray, 2009

Bruce Miller
05-11-2009, 03:23 PM
The 2009 Ouray trip is scheduled for Saturday, September 5th, and Sunday, September 6th. On day one, we leave Ouray and drive over Black Bear Pass to Telluride where we usually have lunch in the park. Then we drive over Imogene Pass and down into Ouray. On day two, we usually drive over Engineer Pass to Lake City where we have lunch in the park then we return to Ouray over Cinnamon Pass.

Last year, we stayed in the 4J++ Campground in Ouray and some folks stayed at the Ampitheater Campground. We usually make it to the Ouray Hot Springs pool on Friday and Saturday afternoons.

Hope to see you there. Please post up if you plan to attend, and direct questions to Bruce Miller.

nakman
05-12-2009, 05:06 PM
In for sure. Last year was a great trip, awesome combination of wheeling & vacation activities.... see the Live from Ouray (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8055) thread for a recap!

9/11/09 edit: here's the map of the campground, for future reference.. ;)

Jethro
05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I'll be there.

MDH33
05-12-2009, 07:16 PM
This might be the only run I can make this summer, as the current plan will have me living in the area for the next 4 months. ;)

Tch2fly
05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I plan to make it this year.:D:D:D:D:D

corsair23
05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Looks like we may actually make this run this year :thumb:

nakman
05-13-2009, 07:25 AM

Awesome! What kind of cake does Paxton like? :party:

Groucho
05-13-2009, 07:45 AM

More importantly, what kind of bike does Paxton ride?

rover67
05-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Allison and I would love to join!

FJBRADY
05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
I am in for sure....that part of the state is my favorite.

ttubb
05-14-2009, 06:08 AM
We will be there, maybe with the 40 this year. Terry and Jo

baileyfj40
05-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Katie and I are in! Katie been looking forword to thing since last year.

corsair23
05-15-2009, 11:21 PM

More importantly, what kind of bike does Paxton ride?

My first answer would have been anything with a LOT of icing :D, just like me. But I was informed that she loves a good cheesecake, plain. After that, white or chocolate cake with lots of icing.

As for the bike...Little pedal bike still...She is still working on moving up to the bigger bike donated by the Romers last year :thumb:.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Great time of year to do this. Hoping to make it with the family.

Trapper50cal
05-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Do I have to become an RS associate member to run this?

Mendocino
05-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't think so. After you attend a RS event you are qualified for membership. You have already done CM so why not join?

Did you guys set a date yet?:)

Trapper50cal
05-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Yup

May 14th and 15th (wedding on 15th) at the Silver Pick Lodge up by Durango Mountain Resort. Rented the Lodge w/13 rooms for 2 nights and got the Pastor online. All set!

I thought I had to attend an RS meeting to join as full member...not just an event.

BTW, thanks for asking! We both got such a huge kick out of how excited you and your wife were for us. You guys are really good folks
(mini-hijack over)

Groucho
05-17-2009, 08:22 PM
If you live outside a 50 mile radius of the normal RS meeting place, and attend 2 events, the two events count as one event and one meeting. You then may be voted in as a member by the RS members present at the event you attend.

So, if you attended CM 2009, and you attend Ouray 2009, we can vote you in as a full fledged member (disclaimer:I already know he owns a Toyota, which is the other pre-requisite for full membership).

Did this with two members at last years Ghost Town Run.

Hope that helps! And congrats:thumb:!
Nathaniel.

Yup

May 14th and 15th (wedding on 15th) at the Silver Pick Lodge up by Durango Mountain Resort. Rented the Lodge w/13 rooms for 2 nights and got the Pastor online. All set!

I thought I had to attend an RS meeting to join as full member...not just an event.

BTW, thanks for asking! We both got such a huge kick out of how excited you and your wife were for us. You guys are really good folks
(mini-hijack over)

Mendocino
05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks Nathaniel, I knew someone more informed would surface.:D

Beachboy
05-17-2009, 09:03 PM
We hopefully will see you again in Ouray.

Red_Chili
05-18-2009, 08:16 AM
I am twisting Carrie's arm on this one. Plan on us. She has so many things in the fire she is afraid to commit - which usually ends up with us just missing out, and the weekend is free after all. So sign us up!!

Trapper50cal
05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
If you live outside a 50 mile radius of the normal RS meeting place, and attend 2 events, the two events count as one event and one meeting. You then may be voted in as a member by the RS members present at the event you attend.

So, if you attended CM 2009, and you attend Ouray 2009, we can vote you in as a full fledged member (disclaimer:I already know he owns a Toyota, which is the other pre-requisite for full membership).

Did this with two members at last years Ghost Town Run.

Hope that helps! And congrats:thumb:!
Nathaniel.

Thanks for the data Groucho!

Count me and my fiance IN!

RedCreeper
07-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Looks like were trying to make this one also. Count us in for tenative. Have to talk the wife into Black Bear Pass. Are dogs allowed?

Kenny

Bruce Miller
07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Dogs are allowed but don't forget the leash. We have lunch in Telluride at the park and they're kind of a dog on a leash kind of town.

The scary parts of Black Bear can be walked, if necessary.

PhatFJ
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I think Kim Zoe and I can make this one. Please put us on the list as well..

Red_Chili
07-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Awesome. I told Carrie she *better* be here. Of course she stood right up and said "Yes Sir".

Interested in some swampland in Kansas? :lmao:

nakman
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Ok, per the plan made in Pitkin (and if you don't remember well sorry... :drink: :rolleyes:) I reserved 4 sites today at 4 J's. 14, 15, 2, and 3. #14 for us, same one we were in last year all the way back in the middle by that cabin, next to that open area that's up against the back fence. #15 for Groucho & family, as directed, which puts them right next to us, also in the center. Across the little street I reserved #3 for Farnham & family same site they were in last year, and #2 for the Corsair family. The one in the back corner (#4) was already reserved.. similar to last year. All of these are electric only, no water.

Site #1 is still open, which is the first one on the right as you pull into the campground. If someone wanted that one, I'd suggest moving on it.. particularly if you have younger ones that like to learn how to share bikes.

edit: Oh, dates are Friday 9/4, Saturday 9/5, and Sunday 9/6. Cost is $24/night... kids under 7 are free.. btw Paxton is the tallest 6yo I've ever seen. :lmao:

edit2: 4J's phone number is 970-325-4418. http://www.coloradodirectory.com/4j11rvpark/ free wifi :ranger:

edit3: map of campground

Red_Chili
07-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I got #1... Bwahaha...

farnhamstj
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Great thanks Tim I'll bring you some $$$.

Bwahaha to you Bill, you're in the screaming children section.:lmao:

11thcavdrt
07-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Bruce:

Doug tebbe here.still around its been an unbeliveable hectic,demandinsummer thus far, anyway pls put me down for making this yr trip ,its always a high
light of the summer and god knows i could use a vacation. and i will bring
an extra pr of cv joints this time!

Caribou Sandstorm
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
We are reserved and in!

Red_Chili
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Sure, I'm flexible. I need to be able to get a popup in there though. Which site is yours?

I like kids. Especially well done with ketchup and relish on a hoagie roll. Very tender.
:lmao:
[edit] Ah, you edited your post, Chris. Still need to swap for #1? If not, and someone else needs the site for kids, all I need really is 1) ability to roll a popup into the site, and 2) electrical.

I don't even need electrical really, but my generator might make folks fussy.

BTW, where exactly is the campground? I see it says 'in town' and as small as Ouray is I'd find it eventually, but I like knowing prezactly where I'm going.

FJBRADY
07-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Anyone for a run up Governor's Basin or Poughkeepsie Gulch mid afternoon Friday Sept. 4th?

We should be in town between 12-1. I was thinking a mid to late afternoon run.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey Bill, thanks for the offer! Lets check it out when we get there.

They just gave me the hill side #4, I guess different from the other #4 that Tim has. 16 was open next to Groucho but it had no shade. I am happy to stay put, across the way. If we get there and we both like eachother's spot, maybe we can decide if we want to swap. Mine has water and electric, also. Does that sound like a good plan?

We are super excited to be joining the group this year!

For the last 5 labor days, Melinda and I have joined a group families in Moab for mtn biking, staying at condos with a pool.. Great folks and we all started doing this before we had kids..Fun to see us all cling onto at least one night of hell raising vs all nights...

Last year Paul Larger (Largeone-RS forum handle) and me introduced 4x4ing in Moab to the group because it is still hot as heck for mtn biking in early Sept.

I think we converted about half of our group from mtn bikling to 4 wheeling, after taking them on Hell's Revenge. All had a blast and were talking about lifitng their Tahoe's, Pathfinders and Land Rover's..

The other part of the story is that we had been lobbying our group to consider Ouray/Telluride or Crested Butte vs. Moab.

Anyway, not to divert the thread but it seemed like a great story and funny that we found a group to join that goes to an area we wanted to go to and one of our favorite couple's that we spend Labor Day with (Paul and Cary Larger) are also in the RS club..Hope they make the trip!

MDH33
07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
I'll be in Ouray that weekend, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make any of the trail runs with my tired rig. I'll try to stop by the 4J campground and say hi. If I camp, it will probably be in the $10 FS campground up Camp Bird Rd. :beer:

rover67
07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Im reserved at the campground. Got site 5 which i guess is the one next to C. Davis.

it'll be fun.

-Marco

Jethro
07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I have reserved a tent site down the street from the screaming children area. Right there in the :beer: section.

nakman
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Chris, if you're in one of the spots that's off of the street behind the campground you will hate it- that's a fairly busy road and aside from the dust & noise your kids won't be able to leave your side. Last year Jethro and Paul May camped back there and they had a grand ol' time... but Groucho & fam was there and actually moved over by us because of the traffic. My recommendation is call them back and get #16, we've got tons of shade under our awnings and portable shelters (same things we had on GTR) plus you won't be around that much during the day anyway..

rover67
07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
yikes, then site 5 is no good either huh?

RedCreeper
07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Ok since i have never been there any ideas of a good spot for a tent. Don't have any fancy pop ups but would like to be able to shower. thanks.

RedCreeper
07-30-2009, 02:33 PM
any maps of the campground we can look at?

Jacket
07-30-2009, 04:01 PM
I called this morning and booked #16 so that site is no longer available. That being said, we're not 100% sure we're coming yet as the Ralston clan has done quite a few roadtrips this summer already, including a trip to Ouray back in June. I need to check in with :Princess: and the kids and figure out if they are up it again.

nakman
07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok since i have never been there any ideas of a good spot for a tent. Don't have any fancy pop ups but would like to be able to shower. thanks.

Kenny I've been told that the best "camping" in the area is the Ampitheatre Campground, which is up the hill a little bit from town. I don't know who's planning on going up there this year, but in years past folks have camped there and said it's awesome. I think that would be the one if you wanted to be able to let the dog run a little, etc. Camping down in town at the 4J's is a lot more congested, literally "city camping" IMO.. it's certainly fun and all, it's just a different expereince from the free for all at the GTR site, that's for sure.

And I have looked on line for a map and can't find one, and I must have tossed the one they gave us last year. Yeah would be cool if someone had one to post up.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Just called, the joint is a full house. We will probably bring our VW camper again so really it doesn't matter where we park that, maybe a spot will have an open lane for us to double up with someone, if our spot is not bueno for kiddos. I am not going to worry too much, Ben will probably want to play with the kids in the safe area anyway.

RedCreeper
07-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Kenny I've been told that the best "camping" in the area is the Ampitheatre Campground, which is up the hill a little bit from town. I don't know who's planning on going up there this year, but in years past folks have camped there and said it's awesome. I think that would be the one if you wanted to be able to let the dog run a little, etc. Camping down in town at the 4J's is a lot more congested, literally "city camping" IMO.. it's certainly fun and all, it's just a different expereince from the free for all at the GTR site, that's for sure.

And I have looked on line for a map and can't find one, and I must have tossed the one they gave us last year. Yeah would be cool if someone had one to post up.

thanks for the info. I will start looking around. I have a friend that knows the area well also and will check with him. Hopefully we can find something reasonable. We will post what i find.

Anybody staying at the amphitheater please post up?

Kenny

RedCreeper
07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Chris,

Doubling up is not a bad idea if there is room. But i know how i sleep and can wake a room up not to mention a camping pad. are those campers sound proof? haha. But would like to stay close to the group if possible. we see what i can find.

Nakman, not to worried about the congestion. just need a place to sleep and shower.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Hey Kenny, I tried to stay at the amphitheatre once it was full but gorgeous..

There is also a KOA in Ouray, very nice. Might have some RS folks staying there if many more decide to join.

We are keeping our site and may have some friends staying with us now, as well. My neighbor has a 40 and is a really nice guy, Kirk Smith. He grew up with Mike Goodnight, who also might join us. Mike restores Land Cruisers in Grand Junction and has close ties with many of the RS folks.

Jacket
07-31-2009, 12:34 PM
I got Becky liquored up on margs last night and convinced her that another trip to Ouray this summer is a good idea. So at this point we're in. :cheers:

Caribou Sandstorm
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Nice work Matt! Does that also work for new tires??? I might need to try that plan..

60wag
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
My calender is finally taking shape and I'm going to make the Ouray trip. Camp Bird Road camping sounds interesting but the 4J's, showers, and a short walk to the Hot Springs will likely win out. See you there.

Friday in Poughkeepsie Gulch is possible if I can get out of here early enough on Friday morning.

Tch2fly
08-08-2009, 06:11 PM
There is also a KOA in Ouray, very nice. Might have some RS folks staying there if many more decide to join.

Yep, I've got a spot booked at the KOA.

Cruzrman
08-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm in. Just booked a tent site at 4J+1+1.
Cruzrman

Cruzrman
08-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Anyone for a run up Governor's Basin or Poughkeepsie Gulch mid afternoon Friday Sept. 4th?

What are the ratings on those trails?
Cruzrman

FJBRADY
08-15-2009, 11:53 AM
What are the ratings on those trails?
Cruzrman

I am guessing PoughKipsee is a 6-7 and G. Basin is a 4-5.

wesintl
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm in with the fam.. have a motel booked.

Corbet
08-22-2009, 08:41 PM
I might make it up late Saturday night after work to join everyone for Sundays trail runs. Will be last minute depending on how Marianne feels. She will not be attending regardless but by then she will only be 3 weeks out from due date.

nuclearlemon
08-22-2009, 09:05 PM
anybody considering the fs campground? their pricing is better for my budget

Beachboy
08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Bruce, are you planning a Sat. night cookout (potluck) like the last years?

Cheeseman
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Jill and I are booked in the Rivers Edge motel just behind the 4J's. Was trying for the cabin/yurt on campus but missed it. Didn't feel like hauling all that camping gear this time. Will get there on Friday early afternoon. Then shopping in town I would assume. Oh Yah. Then a good soak in that big hot tub in the canyon. Oh Yah. Then some beer.
________
Milf fat (http://www.****tube.com/categories/772/fat/videos/1)

wesintl
08-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Jill and I are booked in the Rivers Edge motel

same here. hope screaming kids don't keep you up :lmao:

MDH33
08-24-2009, 02:03 PM
anybody considering the fs campground? their pricing is better for my budget

The Angel Creek campground up Camp Bird Rd. is pretty nice. 4WD only access with sites spaced out nicely in the trees above the creek. Only drawback is that there is no water and only port-o-bifs for facilities. There's a nice short hike to a waterfall behind site 12 too.

The Thistledown campground is a little further up Camp Bird and is accessible by cars and RV's too. Closer to the creek and they have nicer bifs.

These are both non-reserveable campgrounds, so it's first-come. They could be full labor day weekend, but you never know.

Amphitheatre is nice too, it costs 18 vs 10 and tends to fill up as well.

:beer:

nuclearlemon
08-24-2009, 04:56 PM
The Angel Creek campground up Camp Bird Rd. is pretty nice. 4WD only access with sites spaced out nicely in the trees above the creek. Only drawback is that there is no water and only port-o-bifs for facilities. There's a nice short hike to a waterfall behind site 12 too.

The Thistledown campground is a little further up Camp Bird and is accessible by cars and RV's too. Closer to the creek and they have nicer bifs.

These are both non-reserveable campgrounds, so it's first-come. They could be full labor day weekend, but you never know.

Amphitheatre is nice too, it costs 18 vs 10 and tends to fill up as well.

Cool...thanks martin...i'll cross my fingers that they're not full.

MDH33
08-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Cool...thanks martin...i'll cross my fingers that they're not full.

I usually get down there on Thursdays, so I might stay at Angel Creek for a couple of nights. As of right now, I think I am only staying at 4J's Saturday night. If you want I can save you a spot at Angel Creek. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
08-25-2009, 05:23 PM
So this is kinda a long shot but would anybody have an open seat when heading home? Needing to get the 4runner to Delta and it's looking like this week may not work, figured since you guys were already down there I might try and hope in an open seat if theres room and you can put up with me for the ride home..... Happy to help with gas or whatever's needed.

Sorry for the hijack

:beer::beer:

nuclearlemon
08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I usually get down there on Thursdays, so I might stay at Angel Creek for a couple of nights. As of right now, I think I am only staying at 4J's Saturday night. If you want I can save you a spot at Angel Creek. :thumb:

that'd be awesome! takk :thumb:

nuclearlemon
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
So this is kinda a long shot but would anybody have an open seat when heading home? Needing to get the 4runner to Delta and it's looking like this week may not work, figured since you guys were already down there I might try and hope in an open seat if theres room and you can put up with me for the ride home..... Happy to help with gas or whatever's needed.

Sorry for the hijack

i got one ( or two, or three ;) ). when are you leaving? i still have an extra axle for jeremiah:D

bh4rnnr
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
i got one ( or two, or three ;) ). when are you leaving? i still have an extra axle for jeremiah:D

Whenever some one takes me home:D:eek:

Looks like everybody is heading home Sunday?

Originaly I was going to take the truck down this week and hitch a ride back with Chris (thanks dude!) but things may not work out for that, plus it would be fun to hang with the group again. I could pull an all nighter and get the truck to Jeremiahs shop Friday night/Saturday morning (we've done it before:rolleyes: ) then hang with you guys the rest of the weekend. Though I do want to leave some time to talk with them about the game plan.

I dont mind helping out with camping or whatever.....

And I should have room for another axle:)

nuclearlemon
08-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Whenever some one takes me home:D:eek:

Looks like everybody is heading home Sunday?

And I should have room for another axle:)

it'll probably be sunday for me. i'll save ya a seat. i'll get it wrapped up. when's a good time to get it to ya?

Corbet
08-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm officially out. Marianne wants me to do something fun that weekend but she will be too close to her due date for me to be out of cell range. I don't want to risk missing the birth of our first child. So we'll see you next time:cheers:

nakman
08-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Probably a good choice Corbet, we'll miss ya though!

And hey I was thinking of an alternate route down there.. I-70 to Glenwood then 133 to Hotchkiss, 92 to Delta, then 50/550 on down to Ouray. I've only been the 285- Buena Vista-Gunnison way, looks like this route may add up to an hour? Though possibly a little more, since it would also include a stop at the JCrew outlet in Silverthourne.. :rolleyes:

Another option is just I-70 to Grand Junction, then down. I've done that one before and it's just as you'd expect.. and probably within 15 minutes' time of the 285 route.

MDH33
08-26-2009, 09:40 AM
that'd be awesome! takk :thumb:

No problem.

Sorry for the hijack

Perry, how will you get from Delta to Ouray without your rig?

I'm officially out. Marianne wants me to do something fun that weekend but she will be too close to her due date for me to be out of cell range. I don't want to risk missing the birth of our first child. So we'll see you next time:cheers:

Will miss hangin' out Corbet, but good luck to you and Marianne! :thumb:

Probably a good choice Corbet, we'll miss ya though!
And hey I was thinking of an alternate route down there.. I-70 to Glenwood then 133 to Hotchkiss, 92 to Delta, then 50/550 on down to Ouray. I've only been the 285- Buena Vista-Gunnison way, looks like this route may add up to an hour? Though possibly a little more, since it would also include a stop at the JCrew outlet in Silverthourne.. :rolleyes:

Another option is just I-70 to Grand Junction, then down. I've done that one before and it's just as you'd expect.. and probably within 15 minutes' time of the 285 route.

That route is about an hour longer. I think the 285 through Gunnison is the best/most scenic way, and avoid I-70 traffic. Going through Junction is painful.

bh4rnnr
08-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Perry, how will you get from Delta to Ouray without your rig?

That route is about an hour longer. I think the 285 through Gunnison is the best/most scenic way, and avoid I-70 traffic. Going through Junction is painful.

Umm, have not thought that far ahead yet......

And there is always McClure Pass, good way to avoid Junction, pluss it puts you right in line for Proffitts:D

corsair23
08-26-2009, 09:34 PM

We've done almost every route possible down to Ouray except for the one you mentioned to me before (Cottonwood Pass) and this Glenwood/Hotchkiss/Delta route...We've done the I70 to Grand Junction and down route, the typical 285 route, and even the Colorado Springs/Canon City/Salida route.

Always seems that the 285 route is the fastest & shortest and the only real suck part is Monarch Pass...

I'm looking for the quickest, and the least hilly (read long mountain pass climbs) route :D

cjsutton
08-27-2009, 08:24 AM
If you are needing a count of vehicles, I will be over there in my FJ40.

nakman
08-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm looking for the quickest, and the least hilly (read long mountain pass climbs) route :D

Quickest=Monarch. Least hilly=Cottonwood pass. Cottonwood is a slow pass, and dirt on the west side, but you won't heat up like you do on Monarch, that's for sure. And we'll likely just do that route anyway, haven't really talked about it. Are you going to be able to motivate the troops early and roll out with us? Their choice is get up a little early, sleep a little in the car, then later go swimming with the other kids while dad sets up the camper, or they can sleep in and fiddle about, then eat cold hot dogs for dinner in the dark. easy decision, right? :D

corsair23
08-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Are you going to be able to motivate the troops
early and roll out with us?

I believe so...At least that is my plan. You're still figuring that you'll be on the road sometime between 8 & 9 am? Probably just meet up somewhere along the route depending on what route everyone takes :thumb:

Jacket
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Are most folks leaving Friday morning?

nakman
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Exactly, Friday morning between 8 and 9.

60wag
08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I'll likely get an early start on Friday - like 6a maybe. This will leave some time for a possible detour into the Balck Canyon for a bit, or time to explore Poughkipsie Gulch on Friday afternoon.

wesintl
08-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Are we doing the standard runs?

Sat: Black bear -> Imogene
Sun: Alpine loop

or are there other plans?

nakman
08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Ok after further consultation it turns out we'd like to now leave real early as well- like by 6:00. So Bruce I'll yell for you on the radio, you're taking 285 down right? Anyone else want to roll out at 0:dark:30?

Jacket
08-27-2009, 04:20 PM
We're still deciding, but I would think 7:00 or 8:00am departure. Definitely want to get there in time for a Friday afternoon soak, and we've got my nephew's birthday party the night before until 8:00, so those are my bookends....

FJBRADY
08-28-2009, 08:13 AM
I am planning on leaving around 8ish and most likely heading muy rapidly down 285 in the FJC. No ham as I am probably allergic...turkey sandwiches on the runs. CB on 4 good buddies.

Staying at the Box Canyon Lodge.....:Princess:favorite in Ouray.

Anybody up for a run on Friday afternoon let me know. Thinking Po
Gulch or Gov. Basin.

PhatFJ
08-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Kim, Zoe and I will be leaving from Aspen Thursday morning, we are hoping to get a spot at Amphitheatre. If we miss a spot there I guess we will head up Camp Bird Rd. as well and look up there.. Should be a GREAT triip!!! :D

PhatFJ
08-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Steve: We might be able to do this. How can we contact you? Ham?

I am KD0GEG
Does anyone know what Ham Freq. we are going to be on?

Thanks, Brian

corsair23
08-28-2009, 04:45 PM

146.460 once in the area...Not sure about repeaters on the way down...

Seldom Seen
08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
146.460 once in the area...Not sure about repeaters on the way down...

Denver > Crow Hill: .310

Crow Hill to Kenosha Pass: .145/.225

Kenosha to junction of Hwy 24: CC Leadville

Hwy 24 to BV: CC Leadville or Salida

BV to Monarch Pass: CC Salida

Monarch Pass to Cimarron: Black hole. Around Gunny try 147.120 (not sure it’s up). It’s spotty but CC Grand Junction is worth a try (been able to hit it along the S. side of Blue Mesa Res.)

Cimarron to Montrose: CC GJ (the machine is actually on top of the Grand Mesa)

Montrose: CC GJ or the San Juan Repeater Assoc. Linked system on 147.375/147.270(156.7), 447.2 (107.2-linked) might also be reached from the Montrose area, I forgot to try it last year

Ouray and on the runs: SJRA’s 147.375/147.270 (good coverage for the entire run)

Seldom Seen
08-29-2009, 02:55 PM
*Never mind*

60wag
08-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I wanted to make a list of the people going on the trip and the ham call signs. A bunch of them aren't on the ham ref' card or in the roster. What I have is listed below, sorry about the lame column formatting. Let me know what I'm missing and I'll add it to the list. I'll also print up some FORMATTED copies for the trip if anyone wants one.

Bruce

__ first last___ forum___ truck_ ham____
1 Steve Brady FJBrady FJC KDOGEG
2 Brian Brickley PhatFJ FJC x
3 Marco Capote rover67 FJ60 KD0GWX
4 Chris Davis Sandstorm FJC KD0IFE
5 Ige Gustavson nuclearlemon FZJ80 KDCX0
25 Martin Huber MDH33 FJ40 KD0GWM
6 Kenny Jones RedCreeper FJC x
7 Mike Koons Baileyfj40 FJ40 KDDHQ
8 Bruce Lawson 60wag FZJ80 KCZAC
9 Greg Luer Cheeseman 4Runner KDOGWJ
10 Barbara Miller Kiowa Kate KE5TPW
11 Bruce Miller Bruce Miller WDW
12 Nathaniel Miller Groucho FZJ80 WIIN
13 Bill Morgan Red Chili 4Runner KDRCH
14 Michelle Nakari FZJ80 KD0ITX
15 Tim Nakari Nakman FZJ80 K0NAK
16 Matt Ralston Jacket FJ40 x
17 Farnham St John farnhamstj UZJ100 x
18 Chris Sutton cjsutton FJ40 x
19 Terry Tubb ttub FJ40 x
20 Bruce Westlund Jethro FJ40 KDCXU
21 Brian Wilson Beachboy x
22 Wes Worek wesintl FZJ80 WREK
23 Mike Worth Tch2fly FZJ80
24 Jeff Zettl corsair23 FZJ80 KZET
26 Trapper 50cal FJ60

nakman
08-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Holy hams.. Jethro is W0JTR, iirc.

nuclearlemon
08-30-2009, 10:17 PM
roster still has my old call sign. i've been k0ige for over a year now;)

spcruiser
08-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Not a member, live in Durango probably would not be able to make meetings. Could do two events a year though. Will be coming over with Trapper 50 cal. Bringing 40, wife, kids and grandma.

corsair23
08-31-2009, 01:20 AM
Not a member, live in Durango probably would not be able to make meetings. Could do two events a year though. Will be coming over with Trapper 50 cal. Bringing 40, wife, kids and grandma.

Welcome :thumb:

If you decide you like us, you could become a member if you'd like :D

"Must attend a minimum of one club meeting, and one club event. If applicant lives out of the area (over 40 miles from Denver) he/she may substitute a trip for a club meeting, making it 2 club events."

Jethro
08-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Holy hams.. Jethro is W0JTR, iirc.

Wow, very impressive list. Yes, my call sign is now W0JTR.

MDH33
08-31-2009, 07:49 AM
just fyi. looks like the group is getting fairly huge. If the number of total people (not rigs) reaches 75, you will require a special use permit from the Forest Service. These trails are patrolled and they take organized activities like club runs pretty seriously. You might want to figure out exactly how many people you have in each rig and get a headcount.

A solution might be to break up into two groups and travel different trails.

FJBRADY
08-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Steve: We might be able to do this. How can we contact you? Ham?

I am KD0GEG

Thanks, Brian

Brian,

I do not have Ham. For anyone interested in a Friday afternoon run let's meet in front of the Box Canyon Lodge at 3:30 leaving at 3:45. BCL is the last right as you go though town heading south just before you climb out of town on 550.

Steve

PhatFJ
08-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Brian,

I do not have Ham. For anyone interested in a Friday afternoon run let's meet in front of the Box Canyon Lodge at 3:30 leaving at 3:45. BCL is the last right as you go though town heading south just before you climb out of town on 550.

Steve

Steve, Sounds good!!

I wanted to make a list of the people going on the trip and the ham call signs. A bunch of them aren't on the ham ref' card or in the roster. What I have is listed below, sorry about the lame column formatting. Let me know what I'm missing and I'll add it to the list. I'll also print up some FORMATTED copies for the trip if anyone wants one.

Bruce

19 Terry Tubb ttub FJ40 x
26 Trapper 50cal FJ60

Bruce: Correction,
Brian Brickley PhatFJ = KD0GEG
Steve Brady does not have HAM..

60wag
08-31-2009, 09:27 AM
I'll update the list this evening and add a column to total the number of people that are expected.

ttubb
08-31-2009, 09:29 AM

Bruce

19 Terry Tubb ttubb FJ40 KA7TLT
26 Trapper 50cal FJ60

I will not be able to make the run this time, need to make a run to Tucson. I have updated my call sign and ID. Have fun and be safe all. Terry :cheers:

Trapper50cal
08-31-2009, 10:33 AM
I am a party of 2...me and my fiance.

Got a room at the Riverside Inn and Cabins for Fri. & Sat. Night.

Its Archery Elk Season so I'm bringing my bow, If we see Elk I might have to pull over and catch up later

spcruiser
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Welcome :thumb:

If you decide you like us, you could become a member if you'd like :D

"Must attend a minimum of one club meeting, and one club event. If applicant lives out of the area (over 40 miles from Denver) he/she may substitute a trip for a club meeting, making it 2 club events."

Sounds great we will talk at event, it should be a great weekend.
Thanks,
Steve

Trapper50cal
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
This will be my 2nd event of 09 as well, what should I plan on for dues to join? Is it different for "Associate" members?

Groucho
08-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Calling the vice commander, vice commander, question about membership line one.

Trapper50cal
08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
I think I figured it out....Looks like $60 bones

60wag
08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Here is my updated list. I took a guess at the number of people in each vehicle. My total is 59. We are close to 75 but hopefully not too close.

Trapper50cal: Yes, the second event you attend meets our membership requirements. I'm still looking for the dues schedule regarding associate members - I'l let you know. We'll likely have a big enough group down there that we can vote on the spot. Stuffing the ballot box has been known to occur during offsite meeting locations such as this. We'll have to keep a watch and make there are plenty of empty, er full bottles on the table. :) Help me out here, what is your name btw?

First Last people forum truck ham
1 Steve Brady 2 FJBrady FJC
2 Brian Brickley 3 PhatFJ FJC KDGEG
3 Marco Capote 2 rover67 FJ60 KDGWX
4 Chris Davis 4 Sandstorm FJC KDIFE
5 Ige Gustavson 1 nuclearlemon FZJ80 KIGE
6 Martin Huber 1 MDH33 FJ40 KD0GWM
7 Kenny Jones 2 RedCreeper FJC
8 Mike Koons 2 Baileyfj40 FJ40 KDDHQ
9 Bruce Lawson 1 60wag FZJ80 KCZAC
10 Greg Luer 2 Cheeseman 4Run KDGWJ
11 Barbara Miller 1 Kiowa Kate KE5TPW
12 Bruce Miller 1 Bruce Miller WDW
13 Nathaniel Miller 4 Groucho FZJ80 WIIN
14 Bill Morgan 2 Red Chili 4Run KDRCH
15 Michelle Nakari 1 FZJ80 KDITX
16 Tim Nakari 3 Nakman FZJ80 KNAK
17 Matt Ralston 2 Jacket FJ40
18 Farnham St John 4 farnhamstj UZJ100
19 Chris Sutton 1 cjsutton FJ40
20 Doug Tebbe 1 11thcadvrt Taco
21 Bruce Westlund 1 Jethro FJ40 WJTR
22 Brian Wilson 2 Beachboy
23 Wes Worek 4 wesintl FZJ80 WREK
24 Mike Worth 1 Tch2fly FZJ80
25 Jeff Zettl 4 corsair23 FZJ80 KZET
26 Steve 5 spcruiser FJ40
27 2 Trapper50cal FJ60

Groucho
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I spoke with the Ranger main office in Bayfield and they told me that any organized group must have a permit. I still am waiting for a return phone call From Mike at the NF to see what it would take for the permit.

The statement from the office today (who admittedly said that they were not the authority but rather the Mike guy) was that they knew nothing of the 75 number, and whomever brought it up might have been misinformed. I did mention that a friend was volunteering for them down there, and that was where we got the info, but it didn't seem to make sense to them, the 75 number that is.

I guess we will all just have to settle on the "we all showed up around the same time" excuse.

Better yet, I will wait for my return phone call to hopefully make it legit.

MDH33
09-01-2009, 07:57 AM
I spoke with the Ranger main office in Bayfield and they told me that any organized group must have a permit. I still am waiting for a return phone call From Mike at the NF to see what it would take for the permit.

The statement from the office today (who admittedly said that they were not the authority but rather the Mike guy) was that they knew nothing of the 75 number, and whomever brought it up might have been misinformed. I did mention that a friend was volunteering for them down there, and that was where we got the info, but it didn't seem to make sense to them, the 75 number that is.

I guess we will all just have to settle on the "we all showed up around the same time" excuse.

Better yet, I will wait for my return phone call to hopefully make it legit.

Not surprised. Also, we'll be driving through 3 or 4 different ranger districts including Ouray, Norwood and Gunnison. You'll probably get different answer from each one.

It's on the US Forest Service website under Special Use Permits - noncommercial group uses. Here (http://www.fs.fed.us/specialuses/special_non_com_uses.shtml)

"The regulation requires a permit for noncommercial group uses of National Forest System lands. Under the regulation, a group use is an activity that involves a group of 75 or more people, either as participants or spectators. Noncommercial is any use or activity where an entry or participation fee is not charged, and the primary purpose is not the sale of a goods or service. Some examples of noncommercial group uses are weddings, church services, endurance rides, regattas, camping trips, hikes, music festivals, rallies, graduations, and races. "

But, it sounds like we're well below the 75 person limit.

Jacket
09-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Here is my updated list.

updates bolded

17 Matt Ralston 4 Jacket FJ40 KDFQQ

MDH33
09-01-2009, 08:39 AM
updates bolded

17 Matt Ralston 4 Jacket FJ40 KDFQQ

You're taking the 40?? :)

Jacket
09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
I figure between the 4 of us, we should be able to push it up and over Monarch Pass, and then coast the rest of the way. :snail:

rover67
09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
looks like Allison and I be leaving thursday morning (barring any unforseen events with the front axle rebuild). Don't really know where we'll be headed.

MDH33
09-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I figure between the 4 of us, we should be able to push it up and over Monarch Pass, and then coast the rest of the way. :snail:

25mph flat out in second gear in my 60 up Monarch. :hill: I'm hoping to break 35mph in the 40 this week, although I'll probably burn a half tank of fuel in the process.. :o

looks like Allison and I be leaving thursday morning (barring any unforseen events with the front axle rebuild). Don't really know where we'll be headed.

Me too. See you on the road. I'll monitor 146.460 and the repeaters.

Trapper50cal
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
60Wag

My name is Justin Travis, I'm the guy that traded rigs with Ige (Blue & white FJ55 for her Tan FJ60) Oh, and some of those bottles will be supplied by me, as I work at a brewpub as the Graphic Designer down here in Durango. Mendecino knows me, he and his wife and daughter met me and my fiance Eve at CM09...right after we got engaged at Arches. And of course, Ige knows me. I hang with Corbet & Marianne now that he lives down here.

Red_Chili
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Hope to start the 285 route between 8 and 9 am Friday.

RedCreeper
09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Being this is the trip i really wanted to attend looks like i am out till next year. Way to much happening the past month and no money. Dang!!! be safe and see everyone on the next trail event.

farnhamstj
09-01-2009, 10:18 AM
I've been in Minnesota the last few days. Missing from the Roster KD0GWO

I read "organized" That right there removes us from any necessary permit.:lmao:

nuclearlemon
09-01-2009, 10:29 AM
The Angel Creek campground up Camp Bird Rd. is pretty nice. :

trying to find the campground....are you sure it's on camp bird road? i show an angel creek road, well northeast of camp bird road:confused:

MDH33
09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
trying to find the campground....are you sure it's on camp bird road? i show an angel creek road, well northeast of camp bird road:confused:

It's on Camp Bird (Yankee Boy basin rd 361 on the map) on the right just after you cross the bridge/creek. You'll see a kiosk and sign. (If you reach the Thistledown campground, you've gone too far.) When you pull up to the Angel Creek sign, you'll see a clump of bushes next to the creek, the road up to the campsites veers left up a steep gravelly hill. Here's a map, campground is the star. My cell is 7208767498. I can receive calls in Ouray but not voice mails.

:)

60wag
09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Justin,

I know you have Ige's old 60, I just couldn't put a name with it. As for membership... regular membership is 60$/year but this late in the year we prorate it to 30$. Associate membership is 25$/year but as an associate, you don't get to vote on stuff. It's up to you. We can talk about this weekend, see you in Ouray.

Bruce

Trapper50cal
09-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Roger that, can't wait to get there...easy drive for me, other than chugging up Coal Bank, Molas and Red Mountain

nuclearlemon
09-01-2009, 12:16 PM
It's on Camp Bird (Yankee Boy basin rd 361 on the map) on the right just after you cross the bridge/creek. You'll see a kiosk and sign. (If you reach the Thistledown campground, you've gone too far.)
:)

ok, mapquest shows that as angel creek rd, they show camp bird road southwest of thistledown

Kiowa Kate
09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey gang,

I realize this is short notice, but I managed to get the picnic area at the 4J+1+1 campground reserved for a potluck on Sunday evening. I hope everyone that is coming will join us. This potluck usually is great and we will be where the kids can play and adults can gather.

Joining us for this event finale, you will need to bring any meat or main dish you want to have for you and your family plus a dish from one of the following categories to share.

Appetizers
Salads
Vegetables
Dessert.

Please let me know what category your choice is so we make sure we have all areas covered. As usual, I will be making dutch oven desserts.

Hope you all will join us for a real good time.

Groucho
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I haven't heard from the ranger district yet. I will call and leave a message again. I assume that no response means we have a temporary permit as we are citizens trying to do the right thing.

Course, that (as well as the USFS website page you referred to Martin) means absolutely squat in them thar hills. For the HAM radio field day, the USFS site declared the CG we were at a 1/2 price CG, due to them putting in new water spigot (no water was available at the time). Happy F-n Trails management services who orchestrates the old farts reservations in their Minnies told me that the USFS has no jurisdiction over what they as operators can charge at any time. Full price. Oh, and keep the generator off after dark. Couldn't hear the damn thing it was 300 feet away from the nearest site (ours).

I agree with Farnham. We aren't organized at all.

OH, and we're bringing the famous guacamole to the potluck.

MDH33
09-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I haven't heard from the ranger district yet. I will call and leave a message again. I assume that no response means we have a temporary permit as we are citizens trying to do the right thing.

Course, that (as well as the USFS website page you referred to Martin) means absolutely squat in them thar hills. For the HAM radio field day, the USFS site declared the CG we were at a 1/2 price CG, due to them putting in new water spigot (no water was available at the time). Happy F-n Trails management services who orchestrates the old farts reservations in their Minnies told me that the USFS has no jurisdiction over what they as operators can charge at any time. Full price. Oh, and keep the generator off after dark. Couldn't hear the damn thing it was 300 feet away from the nearest site (ours).

I agree with Farnham. We aren't organized at all.

OH, and we're bringing the famous guacamole to the potluck.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it as Bruce's count had us well below the 75 person limit. :thumb:

Groucho
09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it as Bruce's count had us well below the 75 person limit. :thumb:

Nonetheless, I have made several copies of the website page you referenced.

corsair23
09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Hope to start the 285 route between 8 and 9 am Friday.

Hoping to do the same :thumb: - Plan to stop in Gunnison for lunch/gas

I'll keep an ear/eye out for you. You pulling the camper?

Old40Dog
09-02-2009, 06:17 AM
I know its pretty last minute, but I just got my 40 back together last weekend and my wife and I we are planning to head out for Ouray Friday morning. Look for every one along the way.

Po Boy 80
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I plan to come to Ouray with my wife & kido. We live in Durango so we will be in town just off Main staying with friends. I will be in a 3FE Charcoal 80 with stickers. Can't wait to see everyone. Would like to get on the Blackbear Run? Any one know where the meeting spot is and what time? Better late than never to post.

nakman
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM
08:00 at the parking lot to the water park. welcome!

60wag
09-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Rather than struggle with the formatting any more, I attached the whole file.

Po Boy 80
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Nakman,
Hope to meet you! I have plenty O Beta on the area and the trails. It is a nice back yard to have.

Red_Chili
09-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Hoping to do the same :thumb: - Plan to stop in Gunnison for lunch/gas

I'll keep an ear/eye out for you. You pulling the camper?
Yep. Lap of luxury for the missus. Doesn't help the mileage any, but then, it is darn comfy. Plus it's a dry run for hunting!

rover67
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Rather than struggle with the formatting any more, I attached the whole file.

Thanks for doing this Bruce, I always wonder who's who on the runs lately with all the HAMS, and trying to scribble call signs while wheeling is not easy..

nuclearlemon
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
perry, do you need a ride from proffitts? i may go through delta to take them that other axle housing

Groucho
09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Isn't anyone else gonna bring anything? Or will it be a surprise like Treeroot's famous pasta creation? Kiowa Kate is giving me the third degree for info.

Jacket
09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Our tomato garden is overflowing, so Becky and I talked about making a Caprese Salad with fresh Colorado tomatoes for the gathering.

And we can certainly bring another side as well if needed to fill any gaps.

nakman
09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah we're good for at least 1 something as well... probably baked salmon. Plus beverages... :drink: :boozer:

rover67
09-02-2009, 02:26 PM
we'll bring a few bags of chips and some dip to share as an appetizer.

wesintl
09-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll figure something out.. maybe speedies or a salad. I have to check with the wife on these things.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Looks like we are out for this year's Ouray trip.

Calling into the 4J and cancelling 1st thing tomorrow, unless someone wants our spot.

corsair23
09-02-2009, 05:24 PM
We're still in (for now...) and planning on something for dessert...What exactly I don't know but it will be peanut free :)

nakman
09-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Chris, you guys can't bail!!! Violet keeps talking about how much she wants to hang with Olive at the pool.. she would be devastated. :bawl:

bh4rnnr
09-03-2009, 08:44 AM
perry, do you need a ride from proffitts? i may go through delta to take them that other axle housing

Ige, yes I do. The plan right now is to head out early Saturday morning and get the 4runner to there shop.

I'll be hanging out there till I can get a ride to Ouray our till your ready to go home. They are in the process of moving, but it's only a few miles in the other direction from there current shop.

What time you thinking of taking the axle to them?

nuclearlemon
09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Ige, yes I do. The plan right now is to head out early Saturday morning and get the 4runner to there shop.

I'll be hanging out there till I can get a ride to Ouray our till your ready to go home. They are in the process of moving, but it's only a few miles in the other direction from there current shop.

What time you thinking of taking the axle to them?

tomorrow afternoon.

Groucho
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
The meeting place in Ouray will be the Ouray Hot Springs pool parking lot and the meeting time will be 7:45AM Saturday and Sunday mornings. We will leave the parking lot at 8:00AM sharp and will air down at the trailhead at the top of Red Mountain Pass.

Posted for Bruce by me. :) :thumb:

Seldom Seen
09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Just got the word that I have Fri and Mon off. Snagged the last site at the KOA. Packing now, we'll be heading out at Oh-my-god-30 tomorrow and will monitor the ColoConn / .460 on the way down. See ya'll down there.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Sorry for dropping out at last minute, this is going to be quite the event..

A bit over whelmed with the move back in after remodel..Need this weekend to settle in...everyone drive safe and have a great time..See you back in town afterwards.

bh4rnnr
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
tomorrow afternoon.

Hmm, well worst case I can just hang at Proffitts shop until your ready to head home.

farnhamstj
09-03-2009, 07:31 PM
We are leaving lunchtime Fri. Will bring twice baked potatoes, as usual.

corsair23
09-03-2009, 07:37 PM
The Zettl clan is officially out :(

Bummed but too much "life" getting in the way of the fun...Truck was even styling the Thule rack and bike holders I put on last night after the meeting :rolleyes:

Drive safely everyone and have a great time...

MDH33
09-03-2009, 07:47 PM
The Zettl clan is officially out :(

Bummed but too much "life" getting in the way of the fun...Truck was even styling the Thule rack and bike holders I put on last night after the meeting :rolleyes:

Drive safely everyone and have a great time...

Dude.. :eek: bummer.

Red_Chili
09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Got the last of the maintenance / repair items done on the Chili yesterday. Only to notice oil sling from the Tcase output. Oh well, outa time, let it sling, let it sling, let it sling.

(in all reality it ain't much but I am compulsive. For that matter I'm not entirely sure it isn't grease from my well-lubed double cardan. :lmao:)

Corbet
09-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Have fun everyone :cheers: wish we were there. But give my neighbor JC and his family a big welcome. He will be rolling in tonight in his FJ80.

nuclearlemon
09-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Hmm, well worst case I can just hang at Proffitts shop until your ready to head home.

wasn't actually planning on heading home that way, but can change my route if i need to. call me on my cell if you need me to swing by sunday and pick you up.