PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Power Steering Failure Question

Inukshuk
05-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Any idea why power steering on a 1993 FZJ80 would cut out for about 40 minutes of driving and then start up again and be fine? It did this on Saturday. I have no leaks, fluid level is good. No funny noises (a slight whine offroad but at the same level for 4 years). Belts are fine and tight (could be tighter but not too bad). Only thing I can guess is that I was revving high driving up highway 285 and maybe the fluid foamed introducing an air bubble.

60wag
05-12-2009, 05:25 AM
You might try flushing the system to see if any chunks of rubber come out. If the hoses are original, they may be starting to come apart on the inside.

powderpig
05-12-2009, 05:43 AM
I would second the flush.
Fluid could be real old and broken down. When you have the system apart, look at the screen inside the tank to see if it has stuff in it that would impeed flow.

Hulk
05-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Dan, I need to replace my PS fluid too. I borrowed a kit to do so from a guy at Cruise Moab (I will send it back to him when I'm done). Want to come by the house this Saturday and we can have a PS Fluid Flush Party?

MDH33
05-12-2009, 06:10 PM
x4 on the flush, Daniel. My FJ60 pump died shortly after an episode of intermittent non-function. I think it might have lived a little longer had I done the flush. :o

wesintl
05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
my 80 had power steering fluid in it and groaned like an sob. I just ran the pump into a bottle and kept pouring in atf til it looked good going into the bottle. It's been silent for 2 years. I just jinxed myself :eek:

MDH33
05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure about other Cruiser PS pumps, but the FJ60 pump pulls fluid through the reservoir faster than you can pour it in while running. To flush/purge the system, you have to just crank the engine for a second or two in bursts as someone else pours fluid. I bought an OEM replacement pump for mine when it exploded and the new unit even came with a return line plug to help with the refill/purge process. :)

60wag
05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I changed the fluid on m 80 when I replaced the hoses and rebuilt the pump. When I refilled it, I couldn't get rid of the groaning. This was with the front axle on jack stands, engine running, reservoir more than full, and cranking the thing from stop to stop at least 50 times. I finally shut it down, pulled the coil wire and cranked it for about 20 seconds. The groan disappeared and steering has been great since.

wesintl
05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure about other Cruiser PS pumps, but the FJ60 pump pulls fluid through the reservoir faster than you can pour it in while running. To flush/purge the system, you have to just crank the engine for a second or two in bursts as someone else pours fluid. I bought an OEM replacement pump for mine when it exploded and the new unit even came with a return line plug to help with the refill/purge process. :)

I've done it with 2 60 pumps and 80 pump. Ya just need to figure it out. ya gotta make sure it doesn't foam up or you gotta stop for a bit too.

Inukshuk
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Great stuff guys!!

Matt, I have to be at the Columbine Polo Club (not too far from you) volunteering Saturday sometime - but I think my morning is free.

D

Hulk
05-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I changed the fluid on m 80 when I replaced the hoses and rebuilt the pump. When I refilled it, I couldn't get rid of the groaning. This was with the front axle on jack stands, engine running, reservoir more than full, and cranking the thing from stop to stop at least 50 times. I finally shut it down, pulled the coil wire and cranked it for about 20 seconds. The groan disappeared and steering has been great since.

Why did you pull the coil wire? :confused:

wesintl
05-13-2009, 12:13 PM
so it doesn't start.. it just turns over.

Hulk
05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
My understanding was that you can exchange the fluid simply by turning the wheels back and forth, from lock to lock. Is it quicker/better to do it by cranking the engine?

DaveInDenver
05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
My understanding was that you can exchange the fluid simply by turning the wheels back and forth, from lock to lock. Is it quicker/better to do it by cranking the engine?
Just cranking turns the pump slower, so it doesn't draw faster than you can fill it and that way you don't get air into the system.

Hulk
05-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Daniel and I flushed the PS fluid for both of our 80s this morning. The second flush took only 20 minutes, including putting the front axle on jack stands so the front tires were off the ground (easy turning).

We flushed the system without ever cranking the engine. These instructions (http://forum.ih8mud.com/329914-post21.html) basically show what we did.

The groan seems to be gone from my 80. :thumb:

We took a picture of the color of the fluid, before and after.

This is an easy job, although it's a bit messy.

Inukshuk
05-16-2009, 04:03 PM
It was EASY! The kit made it so. Two hands all the better. Thanks Matt!

corsair23
05-17-2009, 12:38 AM
:cool:

What fluid did you guys end up using? I bought like 4 bottles of PS fluid last year before reading that isn't what you use in an 80 :( - put the flush for the 80 and the LX on the back burner after that :hill: