PDA

View Full Version : **Fifth Annual Ghost Town Run 2009**

Groucho
05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
It is time again to plan for one of the most exciting runs of the year! The Ghost Town Run! This year marks the Fifth annual run, and we intend to make it another great one!
We are going to experience some old, some new, and some out of the blue this year. We will start out meeting either at the Geocut at the Morrison exit off of I-70, where the convoy will begin, or in Johnson Village(Just south of Buena Vista at the intersection of US40 and US285) on Saturday, July 25th 2009.

This is an overnight trip and we will camp in the camping spot just before the Middle Quartz Campground spot that we were in last year. Last year we had the entire thing to ourselves, and it was awesome for everyone. We will end up visiting the towns of St Elmo, Pitkin, and WhitePine, going over passes such as Hancock, Waunita and Tomichi. We also make that awesome trip to the west portal of the Alpine tunnel, which was once the nations highest railroad tunnels that also crossed the continental divide. Originally part of the Denver South Park & Pacific railroad, it was an engineering feat that still holds awe and imagination for all generations.

We will be looking to camp friday night in the campground for those folks interested, and then meeting everyone at the truckstop in Johnson Village on saturday morning.

If the camping situation is the same as the first year, we will have plenty of camping spots. Please stay tuned for more details, and post up if you, your families and dogs are going to make it!!

Uncle Ben
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Thats the day we get back from Black Hills.....that don't work for us....bummer

jacdaw
05-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Is this camp spot dog-friendly?

Groucho
05-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Thats the day we get back from Black Hills.....that don't work for us....bummer

You haven't made this one yet, OM!! Don't even try and start to get my hopes up!!:lmao:

Groucho
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM

This is an overnight trip and we will camp in the camping spot just before the Middle Quartz Campground spot that we were in last year. Last year we had the entire thing to ourselves, and it was awesome for everyone.

Please stay tuned for more details, and post up if you, your families and dogs are going to make it!!

You Betcha!!:thumb:

jacdaw
05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Great! I'm up for feeding the st. elmo critters and being shown some new stuff down there.

nuclearlemon
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
hopefully

subzali
05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I think I'm going to be in. Love this trip!

Hulk
05-12-2009, 04:21 PM
We won't be able to make it, unless I can convince my 6 relatives who will be on vacation in Estes Park to come along. Shoot. We made the first three.

bh4rnnr
05-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I'll be there:cool: (or a:eek:):hill:

And looks like i'll have some time to rest from the 4th of july run

:beer::beer:

Hulk
05-12-2009, 06:24 PM

What 4th of July run? :confused:

Uncle Ben
05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
You haven't made this one yet, OM!! Don't even try and start to get my hopes up!!:lmao:

If you would require Perry to not be naked I might consider it! :eek: :eek::eek: :Princess:

rover67
05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
or not to be half naked!

MDH33
05-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll be there:cool: (or a:eek:):hill:

Henry Mountains DooD! :guapo::perry::D

Hulk
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Henry Mountains DooD!

Is that a Rising Sun run? I don't recall it being posted anywhere. But my brain is becoming overloaded lately.

MDH33
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Is that a Rising Sun run? I don't recall it being posted anywhere. But my brain is becoming overloaded lately.

Perry's runs are too :cool: for sticky status. They would just get mobbed.

You even posted in the thread which is still on the first page. :D

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=9190

cbmontgo
05-12-2009, 09:44 PM
How difficult are the trails? This sounds great.

MDH33
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
How difficult are the trails? This sounds great.

I did all of these trails last year in my stock FJ60 with flat springs loaded down with gear. No problem for a stock rig and the scenery and camping are 1st rate. :thumb: :beer:

Rezarf
05-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Nathaniel, I am going to try to make this my "big" trip this year seeing how we missed out on CM09. This is perhaps my favorite run I have ever done with RS!

Are the trails, trailer friendly?

Looking forward to the tunnel.

Drew

cbmontgo
05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I did all of these trails last year in my stock FJ60 with flat springs loaded down with gear. No problem for a stock rig and the scenery and camping are 1st rate. :thumb: :beer:

Right on. I am there. This will be my first official trip with you guys...can't wait.

Jacket
05-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I always seem to be out of town for this run, but this year the dates look good to me. :thumb:

corsair23
05-13-2009, 01:29 AM
After all the hype Nathaniel gave to the :Princess: about this run it looks like we should be in (finally) this year :thumb:

subzali
05-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Drew, they should be trailer-friendly for your trailer. But not for a normal pop-up camper (at least Tomichi Pass is not).

Groucho
05-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Nathaniel, I am going to try to make this my "big" trip this year seeing how we missed out on CM09. This is perhaps my favorite run I have ever done with RS!

Are the trails, trailer friendly?

Looking forward to the tunnel.

Drew

Most of these trails are nothing more than old railroad grades. They are nothing like the Camp Hale Ghost Town Run Trails the last year you and Stacy went with us. That year those trails were the toughest we had encountered for this event.

Plus, breakin' in lil-uns for camping is a tradition for the GTR! Emilee was broken in on #1 at 3mos and Jonah was broken in on #4 at 3mos!! You, Stacy and Dax will have a great time.

bh4rnnr
05-13-2009, 09:18 AM

What Martin said.

I now expect to see you there:hill:

bh4rnnr
05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
If you would require Perry to not be naked I might consider it! :eek: :eek::eek: :Princess:

Now we all know that's just not gonna happen:hill:

RedCreeper
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
This is one i wanted to do again. Sorry Groucho no sushi this time. I will be doing the Summit in Ouray and this one is to close for me to be able to put together and afford. Unless i cant afford the Summit i not able to join this time. Groucho we still need to put together a sushi run sometime!!!!

ttubb
05-14-2009, 07:10 AM
We will be there. T

Rezarf
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Plus, breakin' in lil-uns for camping is a tradition for the GTR! Emilee was broken in on #1 at 3mos and Jonah was broken in on #4 at 3mos!! You, Stacy and Dax will have a great time.

Wow, I'd love to have the family, but I doubt my :Princess: will quite go for it this year, no rear seats... no full cage yet either. But I am in and will bring a friend for sure!

Drew

Hulk
05-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Wow, I'd love to have the family, but I doubt my :Princess: will quite go for it this year, no rear seats... no full cage yet either. But I am in and will bring a friend for sure!

Drew

Wheel the Sequoia!

cougar337
05-15-2009, 03:01 PM
If I can convince Treeroot to go you can count me in.

I seem to miss this one every year and with it being in July I will be able to make it. Looking forward to taking some great photos of the ghost towns and hanging out great people of Rising Sun again!

Rezarf
05-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Wheel the Sequoia!

maybe, but the 40 in the summer on one of Nathaniels famous runs with the trailer is just too :cool: to miss.

I don't think my girl would be quite up for it this summer. Perhaps next summer as we hope little Dax will be in CM10 for his 1 year birthday party! :woot: :thumb:

Rezarf
05-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Groucho, FWIW, I am in for sure. I know last year this one filled up. So I am there for sure this year! :D

Groucho
05-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Groucho, FWIW, I am in for sure. I know last year this one filled up. So I am there for sure this year! :D

Word. Gotcha.

FJ40 use comes in stages. When single and first married, FJ40s are the shiznit. Early family years, in walks the wagon. Later, wheeling with the kids in their own car seems to work (Romer, My folks), then we get that FJ40 itch again, we convince the better half she won't miss those creature comforts as long as we sleep in a motel, followed by needing the wagon again because you need the space for the grand kids (whiteknuckle).

Give in to the darkside.

Rock Dog
05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
I had a blast last year and am gonna try to make it again this year... at least this year i wil be able to hear all the ham chatter

bh4rnnr
05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I had a blast last year and am gonna try to make it again this year... at least this year i wil be able to hear all the ham chatter

And now that you know where your going, you (we) dont have to worry about arriving at camp at 2 in the morning.

Though I will say that that night was a lot of fun for me!

:beer:

Rezarf
05-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Nathaniel, my Pops is planning on flying out for this one, do you know where and aprox. when we will hit pavement at the end of the trip? Thanks, just trying to figure out flights back to Florida.

rover67
05-15-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm in for this run too.

Tramontana
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
...and hopefully I won't need to spell RedChili by piloting the great RedChili this year. Truckwagon will make it's RS debut, and I'll try to convince my better half :Princess: to join me this year. Hopefully we'll bring Wile-ee Dog along too.

Put me down for biscuits again this year. Probably add to this as well, but the menu plans are a ways off...

Cheers!:cheers:

Rezarf
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a friend who I am trying to get involved with RS a bit more. He has a stock Taco 4x4 and is an super guy. He has two dogs, and was wondering if the GTR was open to furry friends? I wasn't sure?

Drew

MDH33
05-20-2009, 10:29 AM

If the camping situation is the same as the first year, we will have plenty of camping spots. Please stay tuned for more details, and post up if you, your families and dogs are going to make it!!

You Betcha!!:thumb:

I have a friend who I am trying to get involved with RS a bit more. He has a stock Taco 4x4 and is an super guy. He has two dogs, and was wondering if the GTR was open to furry friends? I wasn't sure?

Drew

Dogs allowed - 1st page. ;)

FJ_Mark
05-21-2009, 07:12 PM
I am going to try to make it out. And bring the wife along.

Convert
05-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Save me a spot :thumb:

farnhamstj
05-21-2009, 07:34 PM
We're in for sure, kids 3 and 5.
Can I please request dogs be child friendly and well behaved.
Thanks in advance.

Groucho
05-21-2009, 08:40 PM
We're in for sure, kids 3 and 5.
Can I please request dogs be child friendly and well behaved.
Thanks in advance.

I believe this to be a respectful request. Depending on everyone's dog's energy level, dogs on leash might be requested. Never fear, I trust everyone (human and canine) will be on their best Ghost Town Run behavior.

Cheeseman
05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Well my friend, it looks like I get to finally joing you after 5 years from our first talk of this great trip you have been shepharding. I can't believe it. I don't know who will be with me but this year is it. All of my scouting weeks of which there are two this year will be finished by then. Can't wait. You have done such a great job with this.
________
Cumshot belly (http://www.****tube.com/categories/481/belly/videos/1)

rover67
05-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Will be respectfull of the friendly dog request. Mead is always nice and calm, but there is the possiblility that with lots of dogs the running around/rough housing can get out of hand.

I will make sure she is under control and if anybody has a problem with her at any time on any run for that matter, ALWAYS please feel free to let me know. I usually try to stay pretty watchfull of her, but there is always the possibility that she is buggin somebody and I don't know it.

I am pretty quick about telling a person with an out of hand dog to leash it and I'd expect everybody else to be the same way.

jacdaw
05-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Nathaniel, my:Princess: went on a trip with her dad in this area about 25 years ago in a bone stock K5 Blazer. She just informed me that one of the passes in the area freaked her out so bad she won't join me if we're doing it (I'll miss her, :D). She said it's either Tomichi or Schofield. I see Tomichi on the list. Can I put the nail in the coffin for her attendance? ;) My well behaved, daily dogpark tested, 45# Malador Healer is not afraid of rough roads and is excited about coming.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/dawgs/neka-isabelle-th.jpg

bh4rnnr
05-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Nathaniel, my:Princess: went on a trip with her dad in this area about 25 years ago in a bone stock K5 Blazer. She just informed me that one of the passes in the area freaked her out so bad she won't join me if we're doing it (I'll miss her, :D). She said it's either Tomichi or Schofield. I see Tomichi on the list. Can I put the nail in the coffin for her attendance? ;) My well behaved, daily dogpark tested, 45# Malador Healer is not afraid of rough roads and is excited about coming.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/dawgs/neka-isabelle-th.jpg

Probably Schofield.....

subzali
05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Tomichi isn't very bad...Schofield has a little tip towards a dropoff that could get you worried a bit. However, if anybody has a fear of heights or narrow ledges then both of them would cause nervousness...

EDIT: THIS THREAD (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7707&highlight=ghost&page=2) has the trip report from last year - there is a picture of Wes' BJ70 on Tomichi, some pics on the Tomichi side (going up), and a pic on the Hancock side (with me standing with the shovel). And a picture of Ige in her white 80 on Tomichi. If those ledges don't scare you, no worries...

jacdaw
05-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks! I'll show the old thread to the :Princess: and see if she changes her mind. We took her '98 Pathfinder up to Caribou and then backwards on the trail to Eldora (down the cliff face) and there were a few moments on the cliff that scared her to the point of digging her nails into my right arm. We'll see. I may be solo for this one. As long as I'm driving I'm fine. I was a passenger in a doorless early bronco on Cadillac Hill and there were a few moments where I had to get out because the left tire was climbing too high for my comfort level.

Tomichi isn't very bad...Schofield has a little tip towards a dropoff that could get you worried a bit. However, if anybody has a fear of heights or narrow ledges then both of them would cause nervousness...

EDIT: THIS THREAD (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7707&highlight=ghost&page=2) has the trip report from last year - there is a picture of Wes' BJ70 on Tomichi, some pics on the Tomichi side (going up), and a pic on the Hancock side (with me standing with the shovel). And a picture of Ige in her white 80 on Tomichi. If those ledges don't scare you, no worries...

Gmann
06-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm in with either my wife or a good Amigo(not the Isuzu type :lmao:) if the wife does not want to join. Hope you still got room.

Gmann
06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I'm out. Going to Shark Bait's Scuba class. Need to get my open water cert before Cozumel in November and this seems like a great time to do it. You all enjoy the G.T.N 09.

capen4
06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Its the guy with the dodge from last year. Can we make the run this year only in a jeep ZJ this time?
We had a blast last year on this run and would love to check out the other trails.

FJ_Mark
06-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I had a question. Is the Saturday a overnight camping? Or just Friday night?

wesintl
06-04-2009, 10:48 PM
sat night is the main event.. camp friday for preevent activities

FJ_Mark
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks Wes.

Rezarf
06-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Nathaniel, I have recruited two friends with Taco's that want to make this run, so for the Rezarf Clan that makes 3 vehicles total including Stacy and I.

Just wanted to reserve a spot for if this thing fills up again. :D

This is my favorite run!

Drew

Groucho
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Its the guy with the dodge from last year. Can we make the run this year only in a jeep ZJ this time?
We had a blast last year on this run and would love to check out the other trails.
As long as you don't mind some light-heated rib tickling comments about driving a heap. You will be welcome.

Groucho
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I had a question. Is the Saturday a overnight camping? Or just Friday night?

sat night is the main event.. camp friday for preevent activities

Thanks, Wes.

Groucho
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Nathaniel, I have recruited two friends with Taco's that want to make this run, so for the Rezarf Clan that makes 3 vehicles total including Stacy and I.

Just wanted to reserve a spot for if this thing fills up again. :D

This is my favorite run!

Drew

Nice, Drew. Got you penciled in. :thumb:

Rock Dog
06-09-2009, 12:34 AM
This year will be much more fun with the Ham and being able to hear all the extra tidbits missed last year.... really looking forward to it!! going to take the shorter way in this time and be there before 2:00 A.M...

capen4
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
As long as you don't mind some light-heated rib tickling comments about driving a heap. You will be welcome.

I can take just fine. will be just me and the boy tho this year. Iggy kind of already started.
thanks

jacdaw
06-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Nathaniel, in case your canine tally is getting tight, my pooch is gonna stay home with the :Princess:, so my count is now one body, one truck, one empty seat and room under the canopy for gear if needed.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Too many great reasons to not put it on the calendar!

Unless we are moving into our main floors that weekend we are in.

RedCreeper
06-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Groucho,

Sent you a PM. Looks like my plans have changed for july. I am in if there is room. Me and the family. May have a buddy also. Waiting to see if is able to make it.

Kenny

Groucho
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
We still have room for everyone so far. The CG has plenty of open areas for mucho gente, so no worries. More details to come....

Squishy!
06-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm in for it this time around too. I'll bring the *BLING* Machine and hopefully the :Princess: and some friends too.

dmaddox
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I will be there. Just one rig and a fairly large tent. Hopefully we will have a dry and sunny weekend.

Thanks - Dallas Maddox

satchel
06-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I would love to come out for this trip. I have yet to do any wheeling in my 62 and am looking for a good group to start up with so if you guys don't mind a new guy tagging along I think I'm in. Maybe me + 2 and dog. I just have a stock 62 but it doesn't sound like it will be a problem.

Groucho
06-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Satchel and dmaddox,

No problem! Glad to have you guys aboard!! Check back frequently to find out about route, meeting points and potluck things.

SteveH
06-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Nathanial - thanks for organizing this again this year. I'm planning to come and bring my 11 year old daughter. The oh-so-plagued-with-vapor-locking FJ40 is now sporting a Holley electric fuel pump and regulator and has been performing very well on hot days. And I will bring a spare pump. Anyway - we're planning to make the run again and are looking forward to it.

Steve H - Colo Springs - '78 FJ40

Rock Dog
07-03-2009, 09:37 AM
getting closer :D
is the plan the same campground as last year?
I plan to get there before 2:00 A.M. this year :rolleyes:

Groucho
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
OK everyone. It is time to start thinking about what we will be doing for the potluck Saturday evening for the GTR 2009!!

Last year we had an enormous amount of dutch oven cooking, juicy meats, breads, cold sushi and deserts. This year needs to only be better!

Post up what meal items you can bring for the potluck. This is not limited to any particular style of ethnicity, so the sky is the limit!! Deserts, main courses, appetizers, you name it. Be prepared to dine like kings because the Ghost Town Run potluck is a feast fit for an emperor(-ess).

This year we will also be filling one of the ARB freezer fridges with ice cream for the kids as well.

Post it up so we can take stock and make it wonderful!

Groucho
07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
The route will be as follows:

Saturday--
Start out on the St Elmo side of Hancock pass. From here, we go over Tomichi Pass, through the town of Whitepine to Black Sage Pass, over Black Sage, through the area of Waunita Hot Springs (A private Dude ranch. Sorry, no dip in the springs!), over Waunita Pass to Pitkin and up to the campground, which is the same as last year.

Sunday--
Pack up camp and head up to the Alpine Tunnel. Visit the Alpine Tunnel. About lunchtime we will head for home.
There will be two choices for this. One, those of us with camping gear like pop-ups will head back down to Pitkin, hitch up our gear and go out over Monarch Pass on US 50.
Two, those without such gear, can go back over Hancock pass to Buena Vista.

Any route suggestions? Make em now!!:cheers:

bh4rnnr
07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm planning on having a editioned GTR09 poster at the event.

Looking forward to this trip!

RedCreeper
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
is the meeting spot the same as last year for the folks coming up sat morning?

jacdaw
07-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Nathaniel, where's the pre-run Friday night camp?

Put me down for a bucket of fruit salad for Saturday night (spiking will be optional).:boozer:

cbmontgo
07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

I am hoping to make this trip...tell me about Rising Sun runs. Do you guys chill out and drive slow down these trails? I always enjoy cruising slow and taking in the scenery.

This latest trail run plan is still stocker-friendly? I am probably going to take my underpowered 1st gen 80 Series. My FJ60 has the OME setup, but I'd rather drive the fuel-injected rig...

Groucho
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm planning on having a editioned GTR09 poster at the event.

Looking forward to this trip!

Sweet!

Groucho
07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
is the meeting spot the same as last year for the folks coming up sat morning?

The meeting spot for leaving Denver Saturday morning is again at the King Soopers parking lot in Aspen Park and this year it will be at 7AM.

Nathaniel, where's the pre-run Friday night camp?

My family is planning on heading up Wednesday afternoon the 22nd to ensure that we get the same camping spot. If you're heading out of Pitkin east on the Alpine Tunnel Road FS 839, take a right at Middle Quartz Creek Road FS 767 approximately 4 miles. We will be on the right (South). I will try and snag the RS banner from the CM trailer to hang up in the camping spot. Anyone is more than welcome to join us before the event starts.

Put me down for a bucket of fruit salad for Saturday night (spiking will be optional).:boozer:

Sweet!

Hey guys,

I am hoping to make this trip...tell me about Rising Sun runs. Do you guys chill out and drive slow down these trails? I always enjoy cruising slow and taking in the scenery.

This is a family scenery run. Nothing technical. We keep a spirited pace, but nothing too fast that you can't stop and take a quick picture once in a while. Both Waunita and Black Sage passes are basically paved dirt roads. Lots of great scenery and things to stop and look at.

This latest trail run plan is still stocker-friendly? I am probably going to take my underpowered 1st gen 80 Series. My FJ60 has the OME setup, but I'd rather drive the fuel-injected rig...

A good driver in a stock LandCruiser will have absolutely no problems during this run, as long as their rig is in sound mechanical shape. I have traveled all of these passes in a rented Mercury Mountaineer years ago and it had no problems.

Anybody scared yet?

jacdaw
07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
The meeting spot for leaving Denver Saturday morning is again at the geocut (Morrison RD exit off I-70, NE corner parking lot) and this year it will be at 7AM.

My family is planning on heading up Wednesday afternoon the 22nd to ensure that we get the same camping spot. If you're heading out of Pitkin east on the Alpine Tunnel Road FS 839, take a right at Middle Quartz Creek Road FS 767 approximately 4 miles. We will be on the right (South). I will try and snag the RS banner from the CM trailer to hang up in the camping spot. Anyone is more than welcome to join us before the event starts.

Cool, we can test the fruit salad recipe Friday night. I can't wait.

RedCreeper
07-09-2009, 12:13 AM
[QUOTE=Groucho;112015]The meeting spot for leaving Denver Saturday morning is again at the geocut (Morrison RD exit off I-70, NE corner parking lot) and this year it will be at 7AM.

Ok call me dumb since i don't know the area that well. What is a geocut? I remember meeting folks at a king sooper i believe off of 70. is this the same place?

Is anyone coming from the north that wants to meet somewhere on 25 that knows what he is talking about and want to convoy? If not no biggie. I will keep an eye peeled for a bunch of Yotas. thanks Nathaniel. cant wait.

kenny

Hulk
07-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Ok call me dumb since i don't know the area that well. What is a geocut? I remember meeting folks at a king sooper i believe off of 70. is this the same place?

Hogback parking lot. If you're heading west on I-70, it will be the first exit after you pass C470. Parking lot is just north of I-70. Look for lots of Toyotas.

corsair23
07-09-2009, 01:26 AM
We're planning to head out Friday early afternoon hopefully and camp Friday and Saturday nights...

Nathaniel, drive time wise to the campground what do you figure it takes from say C470 & 285? Want to make sure we arrive early enough to set up while it is still light out :D

Groucho
07-09-2009, 09:00 AM
The meeting spot for leaving Denver Saturday morning is again at the geocut (Morrison RD exit off I-70, NE corner parking lot) and this year it will be at 7AM.

Is anyone coming from the north that wants to meet somewhere on 25 that knows what he is talking about and want to convoy? If not no biggie. I will keep an eye peeled for a bunch of Yotas. thanks Nathaniel. cant wait.

kenny

As Matt pointed out, there is a parking lot on the Northeast corner of the interchange at Morrison Road and Interstate 70 westbound, exit 259, if I remember correctly.

I believe that the meeting place was moved last year to the King Soopers in Aspen Park along HWY 285. This could be a easy change if it worked better, plus it puts folks closer to Buena Vista. I will consider it.

Groucho
07-09-2009, 09:05 AM
We're planning to head out Friday early afternoon hopefully and camp Friday and Saturday nights...

Nathaniel, drive time wise to the campground what do you figure it takes from say C470 & 285? Want to make sure we arrive early enough to set up while it is still light out :D

2 hours to Buena Vista. Then another hour over Monarch pass to Parlin, and up to Pitkin. About 15-20 minutes from Pitkin to the campsite. I would guess 4 hours from c-4 & 285 to the campsite to be safe. This is a heavy estimate, but safe.

RedCreeper
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks gang. I will find it. See you at either spot. Not sure if there is food or last minute items at Hogsback parking lot but was nice to do that at the king soopers. Just a thought. Still talking about what we are bringing. mmmmm. Can't wait.

kenny

nakman
07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks gang. I will find it. See you at either spot. Not sure if there is food or last minute items at Hogsback parking lot but was nice to do that at the king soopers. Just a thought. Still talking about what we are bringing. mmmmm. Can't wait.

kenny

No, there's nothing but cars, and good point I would suggest meeting at King Soopers again for that reason.. or even Safeway in Conifer as that stop could also include gas.

We'll be leaving Friday am so I won't be able to lead the Saturday crew this year... you guys will have to figure out another way to get lost. :D

RedCreeper
07-09-2009, 10:00 AM
So anyone that is going saturday know where to go?

Groucho
07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
So anyone that is going saturday know where to go?

I will ensure that the "leaving Saturday" group has adequate leadership in getting themselves lost. Never fear. We usually have quite a few seasoned HWY 285 veterans that know enough to get the job done who will also be convoying out on Saturday.

Keep the momentum up!

RedCreeper
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Nathaniel, Getting lost is the east part. It is finding me that is hard. Don't think clicking heals in the middle of nowhere will work..... Keep us posted on the meeting spot for saturday.

wesintl
07-09-2009, 12:37 PM
It is finding me that is hard.

you got to get a 2m... Finding you will then be a whole lot easier ;)

RedCreeper
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Just keep an eye out for a funny looking oriental and his family in a White brick.....

i hear a scavenger hunt brewing......

farnhamstj
07-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Potluck: Brats with Kraut. Cooking 20. eat up

I'll be doing Minnesota style Beer Brats in the Dutch Oven. Sat PM. There were 9 Dutch ovens last year. My guess for this year. 13. For Dutch oven know how check these
http://www.dutchovendude.com/default.shtml
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

jacdaw
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Dang it. I now have to work on the 25th. :mad: Just got called out by Boulder County to support the Sunrise Century bike tour all day. In order to keep my "get out of jail free card" I kinda have to show up. Looks like I need to make better efforts to do some Tuesday Wheeling runs.

bh4rnnr
07-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Potluck: Brats with Kraut. Cooking 20. eat up

I'll be doing Minnesota style Beer Brats in the Dutch Oven. Sat PM. There were 9 Dutch ovens last year. My guess for this year. 13. For Dutch oven know how check these
http://www.dutchovendude.com/default.shtml
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

Yum!

Will be sure to keep my cooler filled with the Malt stuff!

Looking forward to this run!:beer::beer:

Groucho
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
And reports are that Hancock is open all the way, Tomichi is open and narrow near the top. Even Tincup is open (narrow near the top) already.

Hancock was the problem last year. We ended up digging it out on the Friday before the event (LAST YEAR). Tincup was not passable and we ditched it last year.

This year the plan is to go over Hancock pass, then over Tomichi pass, follwed by Black Sage pass and Waunita Pass (Both mostly gravel roads).

See this post for the update yesterday on Tomichi and Hancock. Colorado4x4.org update (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showpost.php?p=1492738&postcount=10)

You may have to log in to the forum to see it, sorry. I guess trail talk has a security clearance for us. :D

subzali
07-14-2009, 12:27 PM
and we (Wes, ige, martin and I) had to shovel out Tomichi on Friday, the day before we met up with everybody in St. Elmo. Not sure if I'm leaving Friday night or Saturday morning, but if I leave Saturday morning I will be comfortable leading the group to the meeting point in johnson village, or even to St. Elmo.

Groucho
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
and we (Wes, ige, martin and I) had to shovel out Tomichi on Friday, the day before we met up with everybody in St. Elmo. Not sure if I'm leaving Friday night or Saturday morning, but if I leave Saturday morning I will be comfortable leading the group to the meeting point in johnson village, or even to St. Elmo.

I appreciate the offer to lead!!:thumb:

As time draws nearer, maybe we can determine if you will be leaving on Saturday.

Thanks Matt.

RedCreeper
07-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Nathaniel,

Looks like we are bringing something Rising Sun appropriate again for the feast. Have to see if i can get to the store for some stuff so not sure yet what. ..........

Kenny

Rezarf
07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Nathaniel-

I am planning on camping Friday night this is where you are going to be right?:

"My family is planning on heading up Wednesday afternoon the 22nd to ensure that we get the same camping spot. If you're heading out of Pitkin east on the Alpine Tunnel Road FS 839, take a right at Middle Quartz Creek Road FS 767 approximately 4 miles. We will be on the right (South). I will try and snag the RS banner from the CM trailer to hang up in the camping spot. Anyone is more than welcome to join us before the event starts. "

Can you give me a ballpark town to start a google search for this one? Thanks!

Anyone ever made campfire donuts for dessert? If not, I can be the first, but I am open to whatever needs to be covered. Main dish, sides... or whatever.

We are stoked about this one!

Drew

corsair23
07-16-2009, 12:36 AM
"My family is planning on heading up Wednesday afternoon the 22nd to ensure that we get the same camping spot. If you're heading out of Pitkin east on the Alpine Tunnel Road FS 839, take a right at Middle Quartz Creek Road FS 767 approximately 4 miles. We will be on the right (South)."

Drew...

I'm thinking Pitkin (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pitkin&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.014453,78.662109&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15&iwloc=A) would would the town to start you Google search from :D

Art Volmer
07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Is the group camping at Middle Quartz all weekend for this trip? Also is the run some wheeling on Saturday and then some more Sunday? Thanks, Art

Groucho
07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Nathaniel-

I am planning on camping Friday night this is where you are going to be right?:

"My family is planning on heading up Wednesday afternoon the 22nd to ensure that we get the same camping spot. If you're heading out of Pitkin east on the Alpine Tunnel Road FS 839, take a right at Middle Quartz Creek Road FS 767 approximately 4 miles. We will be on the right (South). I will try and snag the RS banner from the CM trailer to hang up in the camping spot. Anyone is more than welcome to join us before the event starts. "

Anyone ever made campfire donuts for dessert? If not, I can be the first, but I am open to whatever needs to be covered. Main dish, sides... or whatever.

We are stoked about this one!

Drew

We will be camping in the primitive area just before the midle quartz campground. All weekend.

Is the group camping at Middle Quartz all weekend for this trip? Also is the run some wheeling on Saturday and then some more Sunday? Thanks, Art

Yes, same place all weekend.

Just so everyone remembers:
The meeting spot for leaving Denver Saturday morning is again at the King Soopers parking lot in Aspen Park and this year it will be at 7AM.

Wheeling Saturday is:
Hancock Pass
Tomichi Pass
Black Sage Pass
Wauntia Pass

Wheeling Sunday is:
Up to the Alpine Tunnel
Return via Hancock Pass
or
Via US 50 over Monarch Pass (Those of us with campers)

Link to mapqwest showing the location of King Soopers at 25637 Conifer Rd, Conifer Co 80433 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=King+Soopers&city=Conifer&state=CO&address=25637+Conifer+Rd&zipcode=80433&country=US&latitude=39.543091&longitude=-105.291345&geocode=ADDRESS&id=23657821#a/maps/m::12:39.543091:-105.291345:0:::::1:1:1::/e)

Just tell mapqwest to get directions from your address and you're there, man!

RedCreeper
07-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Put us on the list for the Saturday crew. can't wait.

Kenny
TT FJC

subzali
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Nathaniel, it looks like I will be leaving Saturday morning. So are we meeting at 7 and rolling at 7:30 or meeting at 6:30 and rolling at 7? I can be on CB4 and 146.460 plus intermittent monitoring of a repeater if anybody likes...

nakman
07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Nathaniel, it looks like I will be leaving Saturday morning. So are we meeting at 7 and rolling at 7:30 or meeting at 6:30 and rolling at 7? I can be on CB4 and 146.460 plus intermittent monitoring of a repeater if anybody likes...

Last year on the drive out I was able to hit the Leadville repeater from around Santa Maria or so.. I'll be there already but will keep one channel on the Colo. Connection and will listen for ya!

bh4rnnr
07-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Planning on heading out some time Friday afternoon, might end up hitching a ride Saturday for the sake of being able to hike the passes and get some more great photos:blah:

ttubb
07-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Nathaniel, I plan to come over Cottonwood and hook-up at Johnson Village on Saturday morning. I assume you will be going by there about 0830 at the earliest. Does that sound about right? I will monitor both 2m and CB #4. Terry

nakman
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Is there a crew from Denver headed out Friday morning? Would be interested in hooking up if so.. thinking 285 to Buena Vista, Cottonwood Pass, then past Taylor Park Reservoir down to Gunny then back up to Pitkin? Is there a more direct way, or better route for loaded 80+camper? I need to get the map out... :confused:

corsair23
07-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Tim, we are planning to head out Friday but it will probably be in the afternoon...If you are pulling the popup though we might catch you :D

Groucho
07-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Nathaniel, I plan to come over Cottonwood and hook-up at Johnson Village on Saturday morning. I assume you will be going by there about 0830 at the earliest. Does that sound about right? I will monitor both 2m and CB #4. Terry

I am planning on about 9AM in St Elmo. Terry, keep the 2M on 146.460 and we'll find you.

Is there a crew from Denver headed out Friday morning? Would be interested in hooking up if so.. thinking 285 to Buena Vista, Cottonwood Pass, then past Taylor Park Reservoir down to Gunny then back up to Pitkin? Is there a more direct way, or better route for loaded 80+camper? I need to get the map out... :confused:

We will be using Monarch Pass as our inroad. Denver to Buena Vista, Buena Vista to Poncha Junction, Poncha Junction (over Monarch) to Parlin. Parlin up to Pitkin.

nakman
07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
We will be using Monarch Pass as our inroad. Denver to Buena Vista, Buena Vista to Poncha Junction, Poncha Junction (over Monarch) to Parlin. Parlin up to Pitkin.

Ok got it.

wesintl
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
why not over cottonwood to tincup and then over cumberland.:D

subzali
07-20-2009, 05:45 PM
yeah good catch Wes :thumb: :lmao:

farnhamstj
07-20-2009, 07:28 PM

That's the way we'll be comming.:thumb:

Groucho
07-20-2009, 09:09 PM

It may be the more scenic and historic route, but at an estimated 5 hours and 10 minutes, versus 3 hours and 50 minutes, I will take the shorter time. My two kids would like to just get there and play. They handle trips well, just that the in and out of a longer trip can be harder on them (and us).

Rezarf
07-21-2009, 12:09 PM
We may be out if I can't locate and fix my mystery clunk :(

Ahh, the joys of wheelin' a 33 year old DD. :rolleyes:

nakman
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
What about the 2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats?

corsair23
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
What about...

That'd ruin him for sure :hill:

rover67
07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
What about the ?

seriously........... :confused:

Rock Dog
07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Unless something changes between now and the weekend, i am out :mad::rant::rant::mad:

I now have to babysit again for a customer in Brazil from 5:00 - 11:00 Saturday evening... (same thing that made me come home early from BHCC). :rant:
I am Awnry enough though i just may roll that way in the middle of the night (been known to happen before....) for the roll out sunday...

bh4rnnr
07-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Unless something changes between now and the weekend, i am out :mad::rant::rant::mad:

I now have to babysit again for a customer in Brazil from 5:00 - 11:00 Saturday evening... (same thing that made me come home early from BHCC). :rant:
I am Awnry enough though i just may roll that way in the middle of the night (been known to happen before....) for the roll out sunday...

I say come out anyways, keep with tradition of wheeling at 2 in the morning.

Man that was a fun night:cool::beer::beer:

subzali
07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
We may be out if I can't locate and fix my mystery clunk :(

Ahh, the joys of wheelin' a 33 year old DD. :rolleyes:

Come on Drew, it can't be that serious can it? If you need a second opinion I can drive up Friday and check it out with you!

rover67
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
seriously, I can swing by friday also...

Jacket
07-21-2009, 10:51 PM
You guys do realize he's up in Winter Park right? That be a longish swing....

subzali
07-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I've always wanted to do the west side of Rollins pass! j/k no I didn't know he was up there. Well offer still stands if he wants it. I just want him to come out and wheel with us again! It's been 3 years since I've been on the trail with you Drew on GTR '06!

rover67
07-22-2009, 09:02 AM
yep, i know he's up there.. I have ot wait till 5 to pick allison up at work, so I could go by winter park and come back to get her no problem...

Hear that Drew?? looks like two offers to go help ya get it figured out!!!! Let's roll!!

Groucho
07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
You guys! He's prolly enjoying a nice deep tissue massage right now and is looking for an excuse to keep doin that instead. J/K.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey Chris Sandstorm and Mrs Sandstorm, lil Ben Sandstorm and even smaller Olive Sandstorm, are in for the Ghost town run.

Looking forward to a serious HAM lesson and some RS family time.

Groucho
07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
We will be camping in the primitive area just before the middle quartz campground. Just east of Pitkin CO. All weekend.

Just so everyone remembers:

Wheeling Saturday is:
Hancock Pass
Tomichi Pass
Black Sage Pass
Wauntia Pass

Wheeling Sunday is:
Up to the Alpine Tunnel
Return via Hancock Pass
or
Via US 50 over Monarch Pass (Those of us with campers)

Link to mapqwest showing the location of King Soopers at 25637 Conifer Rd, Conifer Co 80433 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=King+Soopers&city=Conifer&state=CO&address=25637+Conifer+Rd&zipcode=80433&country=US&latitude=39.543091&longitude=-105.291345&geocode=ADDRESS&id=23657821#a/maps/m::12:39.543091:-105.291345:0:::::1:1:1::/e)

Just tell mapqwest to get directions from your address and you're there, man!

Hey Chris Sandstorm and Mrs Sandstorm, lil Ben Sandstorm and even smaller Olive Sandstorm, are in for the Ghost town run.

We can Friday and Saturday. Is the camp site the same both nights?

Looking forward to a serious HAM lesson and some RS family time.

I have my 32s on my FJ currently, will I have ample clearance?

I saw Tim's Google map, I will re-read the threads for the camp site info. Unless someone wants to tell me the exact location again...

Hope this quote of my original post helps out. I have the forest service road numbers to reference. They are somewhere in the thread, and I will put them at the top asap. Glad to hear you're coming!! HAM lessons abound with all these folks! Now I think I need my soldering iron and a portable generator.

For those with little kids who can walk and ride bikes--bring the bikes if you can!! Otherwise there will be a shootout at the OK corral, little person style! Trust me.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info..Ben's Motorcycle (tricycle) will be on board.

Jacket
07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
My daughter's bike still has all the highway bugs on it from our Wyoming trip.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
So does my FJC from Ouray...I was trying to figure out a reason to leave all my gear in the car and leave the RTT on top....

Whom is leaving on Friday to camp?? what time? We are super flexible over hear..excpet want to be at the camps site by 6:00pm-ish..

Groucho
07-22-2009, 03:03 PM
There are several people leaving Friday.

Nakman, Bruce Miller, Jethro, Corsair23 and cheeseman to name a few. I know Jethro and Bruce Miller will be leaving Lonmont at HWY 66 and I-25 at 10AM, in Golden on I-70 about 10:20 to 10:30 ish.

Everyone I mentioned will be listening in on 146.460mHz on the 2M. Program it into your radio as the RS Run frequency. No tone, no offset. One at a time communication.

nakman
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm willing to "lead" an earlier crew on Friday. We hope to be on the road by 08:00, which may actually be 9:00, but we'd like to get there just after lunch so we can set up camp and take a nap. If anyone else wants to roll that early, post up or give me a shout on the radio or something, will be monitoring..

rover67
07-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a quick request... is anybody bringing their vx-7r handheld? If so do you also have a cloning cable? I'd like to program our new VX-7r and simply cloning one that's already programmed seems easy peasy.

I can go get a cable at radio shack if nobody has one..

nakman
07-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I'll have a VX-7r that's all programmed up... but no cable, I didn't know you could do that. :cool: but you're welcome to it.

rover67
07-22-2009, 03:54 PM
ok cool, i'll find a cable.

corsair23
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
ok cool, i'll find a cable.

I have a cable but I think it is the one that goes from computer to HT, not HT to HT...

Anyone going to have an inverter that us HT guys can use to charge up our HT batteries on Saturday night?

Caribou Sandstorm
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Marco, can you program my radio?

Caribou Sandstorm
07-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey Tim, that sounds pretty good. The nap part that is.....I may not be able to get out the door until closer to 10, my team will have to nap in the car seats.

What route exactly are you taking? I will take the same route, maybe I will catch up. Which vehicle are you bringing?

Maybe we can have a fridge off....haha first fridge to reach 33 degrees from 37 degrees wins....loser buys a round....

rover67
07-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Marco, can you program my radio?

Sure thing, I'll bring what we need. Should be easy.

I have a cable but I think it is the one that goes from computer to HT, not HT to HT...

Anyone going to have an inverter that us HT guys can use to charge up our HT batteries on Saturday night?

I think the cloning cable is just a 2.5mm audio plug on both ends of the cable.

nakman
07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Jeff, you can use my inverter to charge your HT. Chris, will be in the 80 pulling a camper on 285 most the way (per the red route on the map) so good chance you will catch me, give me a shout on the radio. I'll keep one ear on simplex, will try to shout out at the top of every hour.

Marco if that's all the cable is then I've got one, will bring it. :thumb:

rover67
07-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Sweet, thanks Tim!

corsair23
07-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Sweet, thanks Tim!

x2 :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
07-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Sounds Good Thanks Tim!

corsair23
07-23-2009, 12:54 AM

Nathaniel,

Not to doubt you and your directions (last time I was in the Pitkin area was probably 24 years ago :hill:) but looking at my Colorado Atlas, it would appear that you turn off Hwy 50 at Parlin onto 76 Rd...Take that and go through Ohio and into Pitkin. Out of Pitkin the map says it is FR 765 that will take you to FR 767 (maybe 1.5-2 miles outside of Pitkin).

According to the map, FR 839 is another couple miles down FR 765 and it backtracks and then runs parallel to FR 767 :confused:. I see the campground symbol but it is sitting smack dab in between the two roads :rolleyes:

So, do we want to end up on FR 839 or FR 767?

Disclaimer...My atlas is from 1998 so maybe it is wrong and/or things have changed :)

ttubb
07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Nathaniel,

Not to doubt you and your directions (last time I was in the Pitkin area was probably 24 years ago :hill:) but looking at my Colorado Atlas, it would appear that you turn off Hwy 50 at Parlin onto 76 Rd...Take that and go through Ohio and into Pitkin. Out of Pitkin the map says it is FR 765 that will take you to FR 767 (maybe 1.5-2 miles outside of Pitkin).

According to the map, FR 839 is another couple miles down FR 765 and it backtracks and then runs parallel to FR 767 :confused:. I see the campground symbol but it is sitting smack dab in between the two roads :rolleyes:

So, do we want to end up on FR 839 or FR 767?

Disclaimer...My atlas is from 1998 so maybe it is wrong and/or things have changed :)

Jeff, not sure if Nathaniel can get this so I will reply. The campground is on the south side of FR767, so you take 765 out of Pitkin then turn right on FR767 to the campsite. Where group will be camping is actually just prior to the official campsite at middle quartz. Hope this helps. Terry

Bruce Miller
07-23-2009, 09:07 AM
For anybody who is driving over Monarch Pass, on Highway 50, there's an easy shortcut from Highway 50 to the campground. Turn off 50 on F.S. road 3100. It's about one mile west of Doyleville and quite a few miles east of Parlin. You will be turning right (north) off Highway 50, and the turnoff comes up on you quickly because it's on a curve in Highway 50. Saves quite a few miles from going into Parlin then back up to Pitkin. It's a very nicely maintained gravel road.

I think the F.S. road our primitive camping spot is on is 767, right along the creek and the dead end road to the Pitkin Campground. The primitive camp spot is a huge meadow on the right. Once you see it, you can't miss it. If you go too far, you come to the Pitkin Campground where you can turn around and give it another try.

We'll be in Buena Vista at the Dairy Delight for lunch at about 1:00'ish.

bruiser6082
07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Is anyone invited? I am in Colorado Springs and may be interested in going along with my wife. tks

Groucho
07-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Terry and Bruce are correct except for one thing in Bruce's post that might confuse people. It is the Middle Quartz Creek Campground that is just after our campsite, not the Pitkin Campground.

Pitking CG proper is just east of pitkin on state street. It is a large CG. Shortly after the turn to Pitkin CG is another turn to the right. It should be marked 765. If you get to the turn to Cumberland pass you have gone to far. FR 839 goes up to the Alpine Tunnel and parallels 767 on the map. Jeff this is what is confusing you.

The point is to get on 767 and stay that way 'till the Campsite. We will be monitoring the 2M. Give us a call.

nuclearlemon
07-23-2009, 10:02 AM
i will be there. not sure if i will have passengers or not. may have my buddy robert that was at black hills, his wife and youngest daughter, if not, then the dogs.

also not sure if i'm leaving fri night (preferable) or sat am.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Terry,

Looking forward to seeing you on this one, is your wife coming with her FJ, also?

Also thanks for the campsite directions.

ttubb
07-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Terry,

Looking forward to seeing you on this one, is your wife coming with her FJ, also?

Also thanks for the campsite directions.

Her sister is in town from Iowa so I will be solo. She won't let me take her FJ until I finish putting on the bumper and skid plates (All-Pro Offroad). I got the sliders on, per your recommendation. I will be driving the "Marmot" this time. Look forward to seeing you. Terry

nuclearlemon
07-23-2009, 02:29 PM
might be out...might have to help a buddy get his car ready for bonneville.

FJ_Mark
07-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Who else will be meeting at the King Soopers parking lot Saturday morning?

Art Volmer
07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I believe this run is open to all. If I'm wrong someone need to correct me. If you are planing on going send Groucho a PM so he knows to look for you. He is the organizer of the run and can answer questions if you have any.
See you there, Art

Is anyone invited? I am in Colorado Springs and may be interested in going along with my wife. tks

rover67
07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
just got ribs and rotel to add to the pot luck.

yum.

FJ_Mark
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I will be bringing side potato, pasta salads and such. Is there anything else I can bring?

satchel
07-23-2009, 11:46 PM
We're planning on leaving tomorrow (Fri) after work. Not sure if we know 100% where we are going, but we'll get there eventually hopefully. We'll try to get there before midnight. Let me know if anyone else is planning on leaving tomorrow evening.

rover67
07-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm leaving golden area at 5 ish if anybody wants to tag along. will be on the regular channels...

-Marco

RedCreeper
07-24-2009, 12:27 AM
we are planning for the meet at aspen on sat. see you guys then.

bh4rnnr
07-24-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm leaving golden area at 5 ish if anybody wants to tag along. will be on the regular channels...

Would love to convoy

cell 901-359-1827

can't wait

-Marco

Marco, i'm gonna join ya for the drive down. Will give you a call later today.

RicardoJM
07-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Wow, sound like a good time will be had by all on the run. Everyone have a good time and take lots of pictures. :D

rover67
07-24-2009, 07:59 AM
sounds good perry, i'll call you if I don't hear from ya

RedCreeper
07-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Are we there yet?

Jacket
07-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Would love to convoy

cell 901-359-1827

can't wait

-Marco

I should be on a similar timelime if I get all my sh** done today. I have to stop in Golden to pick up Sam, and I'm shooting for 4:30-5. I'll jot down your number and/or call out on the 146.460.

satchel
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
We'll be trying to leave around 6:00 - 6:30 Friday night from Aurora, so we'll be behind you guys but I might give a call along the way if we get lost or something. Don't have radio or anything like that, so I'll have to use the old fashioned cell phone, allthough I'm assuming there is no cell service at the campground. If anyone is leaving a little later, give me a call. 325-280-3545. FYI... I'll be in a gray FJ62 maxed out at about 50mph.

RedCreeper
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Are we there yet?

cougar337
07-24-2009, 10:47 AM
We will be coming up with TREEROOT (surprised he hasn't chimed in yet). Talked Mike into going and he was able to patch up the exhaust last night on the Ptarmigan. There should be Mike, my wife Christie and I coming up with the Saturday crew. We are still hashing out what to bring for the pot luck but we will be contributing. I can't wait, my first time on this run!!

PhatFJ
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Kim, Austin, Zoe and I will be there!!! leaving soon I hope...

Rezarf
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM
I need to cancel this weekend, anyone looking at this before heading out please let Nathaniel know for me. My siste has had a serious medical issue come up this week and it is taking preceedence this weekend.

Sorry to miss it, have a blast!

Drew

Groucho
07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Ok. Right now we are in Gunnison picking up marshmellows we forgot. FYI the campsite is approx 15 minutes drive from the instersection where FR767 and the 12th street road out of Pitkin meet.

There are 3 fifth wheel units in a triangular pattern right at the turn for the site. Turn right, pass the fifth wheels and you should see my Red FZJ80 in front of my popup. DO NOT turn right at 2.5 miles, that will take you back to Sargents at the foot of Monarch pass.

The campsite is approx 4 miles from the aforementioned intersection.
I will try to post up a list of people for Saturday for subzali, your Saturday Aspen park leader.

satchel
07-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Could anyone verify if these are the coordinates? 38.638088,-106.46915 Just copy and paste into google maps.

satchel
07-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure those are wrong. I'm sure it will be clear as to where I need to be when I get up there but I was hoping to get an idea before I left. It looks like those coordinates are too far down 765

Groucho
07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Can't confirm lat n long. Just look for a site with some cruisers and runners.

Btw--we need main dishes. 3 potato salads so far, multiple desserts, and Farnham's brats. Bring the main dishes. Hamburgers work!

Sent with my iPhone.

Jacket
07-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure those are wrong. I'm sure it will be clear as to where I need to be when I get up there but I was hoping to get an idea before I left. It looks like those coordinates are too far down 765

I believe it will be more like 38.613088,-106.44515. That pointer should land on FS767 about half way until the road dead ends, which I think is at Middle Quartz FS campground. The RS camp should be somewhere along that road, about 4 miles from the main road out of Pitkin (per Groucho's instructions). That's my best guess....

I'm bringing tangy meatballs in the crock pot.:)

wesintl
07-24-2009, 01:37 PM
I believe it will be more like 38.613088,-106.44515. That's my best guess....

That is pretty much it.

I got burgers and brats...

satchel
07-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I think my wife is getting brats as well. Is there something we should get instead of brats? Hamburgers are already taken. I'm sure I can find it once I get out there.

subzali
07-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm bringing mac and cheese! See the Saturday group at 7am at the King Soopers in Aspen Park! We are rolling at 7:30 and will be on 146.460 and CB4 if you're late and trying to catch up! Then the next stop is St. Elmo at about 9:30!

I will also have my cell 7 two 0 - 2 eight -1 1 2 one zero

wesintl
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I think my wife is getting brats as well. Is there something we should get instead of brats? Hamburgers are already taken. I'm sure I can find it once I get out there.

Nothin wrong with more brats or burgers or anything that can go on a grill :thumb: it's going to be a party :party:

treerootCO
07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
We will be coming up with treeroot (surprised he hasn't chimed in yet). Talked Mike into going and he was able to patch up the exhaust last night on the Ptarmigan....

Been busy....is today too late to start working on it? :hill:

subzali
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
nice work Mike...:lmao:

ttubb
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Ok. Right now we are in Gunnison picking up marshmellows we forgot. FYI the campsite is approx 15 minutes drive from the instersection where FR767 and the 12th street road out of Pitkin meet.

There are 3 fifth wheel units in a triangular pattern right at the turn for the site. Turn right, pass the fifth wheels and you should see my Red FZJ80 in front of my popup. DO NOT turn right at 2.5 miles, that will take you back to Sargents at the foot of Monarch pass.

The campsite is approx 4 miles from the aforementioned intersection.
I will try to post up a list of people for Saturday for subzali, your Saturday Aspen park leader.

Just drove up the the site and met with Nathaniel. Disregard the the comments about the fifth wheels as they left this morning. Distance from the turn onto FR767 is 3.6 miles to camp. Angela has placed a paper plate sign at the entrance. Terry

ttubb
07-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Could anyone verify if these are the coordinates? 38.638088,-106.46915 Just copy and paste into google maps.

It is approx 38.37.068', 106.26.036' Hope this helps. Terry

nuclearlemon
07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
hhhhmmm....if i work with larry bright and early tomorrow morning and put in six hours or so, then i can head up to the campsight.....mattress is still in the rig, just need the throw the pump in. i can sleep in the back of the rig. i wired and tested the fridge today and it works.....hhhhmmmmmm......

wasn't paying attention...is it the same campground as last year (the year of the dutchoven fest)?

ttubb
07-24-2009, 07:00 PM
wasn't paying attention...is it the same campground as last year (the year of the dutchoven fest)?[/QUOTE]

Yes, same place as last year. :thumb: Terry

SteveH
04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Any traction/interest/dates/suggestions on a Ghost Town run for 2010? I had a blast 2 years ago