PDA

View Full Version : Ham buyers guide Thread

Caribou Sandstorm
05-15-2009, 08:56 AM
If you are looking for a new HAM radio or interested in some of the HAM communities out there like 4x4 HAM groups.

I think this thread will be helpful.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/86523-ham-radio-trail-use-primer-radio-buyers-guide.html

nakman
05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Neat stuff, thanks! http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat1.gif

Groucho
05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I did notice that 1911 posted in his write-up (very nice, I must say:thumb:) that their are "paid courses available" specifically by Gordon West. This info is priceless, because the Gordon West stuff is top notch. While this is great knowledge for all, being a part of Rising Sun takes it a step further. Rising Sun is the only wheeling club I know of that actually has annual classes and starting this year a VE team to administer the tests! One stop shopping, and all for free (except for the cost of the exam)!!

Chris, I saw that you are interested in getting your license, and there is still time to do so before the Summit! Plus, there is a plethora of study and info aids here, so if you need something, don't hesitate to ask!! We have been piecing together many items of interest and help regarding the integration of HAM and wheeling. Check out the sticky section of the HAM and CB Corner to find out more.

As you see by 1911's thread, HAM is something that speaks for itself. When I started pushing to get people away from CB and into Amateur Radio 5 years ago, it was a tough sell. Most people though that since CB didn't have a license requirement, and everyone they ran trails with was setup with CB, that HAM radio was for geeks in their tighty-whities, in the basement talking to others like them on the other side of the world. They thought that there was no way that Amateur Radio could be integrated as part of this hobby; too many microphones and another thing to break, plus someone was always left out of one or another conversation. But with persistence, a few people took the first RS class and the seed was planted. Now, 5 years later, we have 60+ licensed Amateur radio operators in the club, and over half of them use their radios regularly, club runs or just driving to work. 20 of those received their test from other RS HAMs!! While their are definitely those in the hobby who fit the aforementioned stereotype of the tighty-whities, there are also loads of folks who all share some of our enthusiasm for similar things like wheeling and radio.

The allure of HAM radio is undeniable. The range is superior for our use, and the level of courtesy experienced as a HAM makes it all worth the effort. No rebroadcasting of music, no profanity, etc. Heated arguments, casual conversations, emergency communications? Yes. Respectability? absolutley! Its real life, not sterile.

HAM it up!!:beer:

Hulk
05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Chris, you're a smart guy. Buy the book, take some online tests, and go take the test. The classes are excellent (including our annual RS class), but not necessary to get your technician's license. I did it all on my own, and it's not hard at all.

Groucho
05-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Chris, you're a smart guy. Buy the book, take some online tests, and go take the test. The classes are excellent (including our annual RS class), but not necessary to get your technician's license. I did it all on my own, and it's not hard at all.

Exactly. Then, when you have your license, drop by here every once in a while and pick up on the jargon and good operating practices that are what is missing from the exam. The exam is easy, operating properly is the part people try to fudge. By just using the book, you won't pick up the street smarts that is inherent to the use of the license. I always tell people, the key to being a great operator in Amateur Radio is to listen! listen! Listen, then transmit. Here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7032) is some really good information about what to do and what not to do.

I will put in my standard disclaimer here:
Amateur Radio is a hobby enjoyed by millions of people worldwide. It knows no boundaries or countries. It is a hobby that has significant opportunities for all operators. Tinkering, modifying, experimenting, these are all advantages we have. We self-police, and we take our privilege seriously. Good operating practices, emergency communications, goodwill to all HAMs and enjoyment of the hobby are all part of our core values. No matter if just for trail use, or world-wide communication, Amateur Radio holds true the core values that separate it from other, non-licensed forms of radio communication. Be kind. If you intend on distinguishing yourself from those who operate other non-licensed forms of communications and hold HAM Radio's values in high regard, Welcome! Otherwise, CB is your choice.

Jacket
05-15-2009, 12:50 PM

x2 (except for the "smart guy" part). Self-study is definitely doable if your schedule doesn't work with the classroom learning.

Hulk
05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I talked up the ham radio on the run I lead to Chicken Corner at Cruise Moab this year. There was a bunch of interest from different people, especially since I talked about how I could hear CM attendees on other runs.

Then one guy asked, "What's the deal with having to get a license in order to use this? It seems stupid and elitist to have to get a "license" just to use a better form of a CB radio."

I responded that Ham radio was "amateur radio," and has a long history in the U.S. as a hobby. I said that getting a license meant taking the time to learn how to use it, what's an allowable use, and even a little history. I mentioned that many innovations in radio communications had actually been developed by the amateur radio community. Finally, I said that the license test wasn't difficult, and the license isn't expensive.

I think I did an OK job of responding, but he put me on the spot. I've never gotten a question from someone who was actually hostile. Most people are either interested as soon as they hear about it, or think I'm a huge geek enjoying a hobby that only geeks would like.

Groucho
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
It's funny you mention that. I have dealt with the same reaction from members of the RS community especially in the beginning. The idea that it just can't be used "at will" really bothers some people; sometimes and surprisingly those same people tried for a license "way-back when" and failed the code, so they gave up.

Anyone who honestly perceives Amateur Radio as elitist requires coaching. As we all know, a license to operate anything does not make it elitist; it is just a way to determine some sort of basic knowledge and skill. Who would seriously opt for a surgeon to do brain surgery who didn't have a license to practice medicine? Not me. As the same goes for medicine, HAM radio requires a license not to determine if someone is an expert operator, but instead it attempts to determine rudimentary knowledge and skill. The license to practice medicine doesn't make the guy a premier brain surgeon, it just determines that rudimentary skill and knowledge. I wouldn't go to a surgeon who didn't have a license, because the license indicates that the surgeon possesses some skill in order to pass the test for the license.

Most hostile reaction to a new idea is due to lack of understanding. The guy could have been thinking "why make me throw away my $300 CB, sign up for classes that I won't understand, pay for a license, buy newer, more expensive equipment, when what I have works." Anyone here will tell you that a good 2M setup can cost less that a mid-grade CB setup. Now the tough part about that coaching is getting through the barrier of change. Once that is done, they almost always become advocates for the cause.

Matt, I applaud your efforts. Not saying it would ever happen, but if CM was to go all 2M instead of CB, we still would be called elitist, just like we could be called elitist for only allowing Toyota's in our club. It isn't a correct assumption, but that is what some people would think.

Groucho
05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
'cause we have been talking about comparing radios for a week or so, I thought it would be a good thing to sticky and lock the beginning post.

Hulk
05-15-2009, 02:31 PM

nakman
05-15-2009, 04:46 PM
What's so bad about elitism?

Elitism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite—a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes—are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.

Maybe not the wealth part, but the rest seems pretty spot on... they left out good looking though. :D

MDH33
05-15-2009, 05:44 PM
What's so bad about elitism?

Maybe not the wealth part, but the rest seems pretty spot on... they left out good looking though. :D

As long as the club allows dirtbags like Perry and I to continue hanging out, it will never qualify as being elitist. :hill:

rover67
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
You guys aren't dirtbags!

Caribou Sandstorm
05-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Since when is driving in Beef Basin without a shirt considered dirt bag....haha...

Thanks for all the feed back. I am pretty pumped to get my HAM license.

Hey maybe you guys can chime in on some reccomendations on which radio.

I am going to go fairly entry level to start. I was thinking about the Yaseu model that is listed at $169.00 (2900 model) or the ICOM model that was listed for $209.00.

Has anyone had any experience with either one? Or can you tell me from your experience which might be a better buy?

DaveInDenver
05-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Let me know when you decide to take your test, I need to take my general test at some point and nothing like a deadline to get my off my kester.

As far as the FT-2900, that is probably a good radio but AFAIK it's not out quite yet being a brand new model. The FT-2800 that it will replace is a popular radio.

Honestly, Icom, Yeasu, Kenwood and even Alinco all make pretty dang similar models in the various price ranges. You really can't go wrong with any of them, although it's best to mess with them before you buy. Look at other guy's radios and head over to the ham store. One of them will seem best to you, go with it. Trust me, it will not be the last radio you ever buy...

MDH33
05-16-2009, 08:42 PM
As long as the club allows dirtbags like Perry and I to continue hanging out, it will never qualify as being elitist. :hill:

You guys aren't dirtbags!

just kidding you, Perry. ;)

Me on the other hand... :headbang::boozer::guapo::grinpimp:

corsair23
05-17-2009, 01:46 AM
I am going to go fairly entry level to start. I was thinking about the Yaseu model that is listed at $169.00 (2900 model) or the ICOM model that was listed for $209.00.

Has anyone had any experience with either one? Or can you tell me from your experience which might be a better buy?

One consideration that may play a large part in your decision is mounting of the rig (Ham speak for radio :))...Do you have room up front for the rig? Or do you need something that you can mount just the "face" up front and the actual transceiver elsewhere, like in the back?

Caribou Sandstorm
05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Good point Jeff, I have no space up front. The ICOM looks like I can do just about all I need from the hand set.

Hulk
05-17-2009, 10:38 PM
That's the reason a bunch of us have the Yaseu 7800 or 8800. The removable faceplate makes it very convenient.

One thing to note: about 90% of the RS members have bought Yaseu brand radios. If you buy the same, you'll get expert help with your radio, and possibly can get it programmed for all the CO repeaters (and more) by DaveInDenver or Romer. If you buy one of the other brands, you will become our expert!

Caribou Sandstorm
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
yikes! me the expert..not good. You guys the expert much better.

wesintl
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
your going to want the dual band if you get into it imho

MDH33
05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
The dual band FT8800 that I picked up about a month ago is pretty :cool:. Glad I went with the dual band. It's nice being able to monitor 146.460 and whatever repeater is nearby at the same time. It's a nice compact unit as well. My only complaint is that the speaker isn't loud enough for an FJ40 on the highway.

Mendocino
05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
...My only complaint is that the speaker isn't loud enough for an FJ40 on the highway.

When you solve that problem let me know:rolleyes:. I figure that an external speaker is good; but also need a headset with a boom mic and a noise canceling circuit if I want to communicate.

Jacket
05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
your going to want the dual band if you get into it imho

I'm going to agree here. I got the Yaesu 7800 primarily for the remote mount feature, so all I have is the faceplate mounted to my overhead console (the rest of the unit is behind the seat). But in Moab and coming home along I-70 I wish I had the ability to monitor both the 146.460 and the repeaters. I found myself going back and forth a few times, and finally just settled on the repeaters. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but it seems like it would be worth the extra few $$ to get the 8800.

nakman
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I have beat the drum of dual bands several times, so I'll keep my hands in my pockets this time around.. (dual bands, Chris! all the way!!) :rolleyes:

However I will contribute to the 40 thing, how about one of these hats? http://www.tookshats.com/ works well in the winter in particular, especially if you have the doors off. I've actually got one and used it quite a bit to plow in the Scout with the iPod.. :D

edit: hey I even got a picture, seen here viewing Sesame Street video podcasts..

MDH33
05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, an external speaker (a very loud one) is in the future for the 40.

Hey, it's 21:15 on a Monday, doesn't Rising Sun try to do a net about this time?

:beer:

nakman
05-18-2009, 10:24 PM
alright I'll run out to the truck if you will. :bolt:

MDH33
05-18-2009, 10:35 PM
alright I'll run out to the truck if you will. :bolt:

I'm checking simplex now.

jacdaw
05-19-2009, 12:22 AM
The dual band FT8800 that I picked up about a month ago is pretty :cool:. Glad I went with the dual band. It's nice being able to monitor 146.460 and whatever repeater is nearby at the same time. It's a nice compact unit as well. My only complaint is that the speaker isn't loud enough for an FJ40 on the highway.

In my early Bronco I fed my FT-90 (and FT-2400, FT8900) output into the aux input on my Alpine stereo. I set the EQ for the aux. input for good voice reproduction. Sounded good and it was plenty loud on the highway. In my minitruck the FT-90 feeds a passive aux speaker from Radio Shack plenty loud, even over the gear whine. Score one foe the minitruck!