PDA

View Full Version : Businesses to avoid in Moab

Bruce Miller
03-18-2006, 02:34 PM
In years past, we have listed names of businesses in Moab that are anti public access and anti off road vehicles. Can we publish that list again this year? If my memory is correct, I think Eddie McStiff's and the Back of Beyond bookstores were on the list. It makes no sense to support any business that promotes an OHV hate campaign.

Romer
03-18-2006, 03:56 PM
I didn't know about Mcstiffs, I think tons of people went there last year

Beater
03-18-2006, 05:14 PM
there is no way mcstiffs is on that list. They would die without hikers/mtn bikers.

treerootCO
03-18-2006, 05:40 PM
This is what started it. I really don't have an opinion because I don't see what the issue was.
http://www.suwa.org/library/Final_Huntsman_ad.pdf

waggoner5
03-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Wow that narrows it down.

wesintl
03-18-2006, 11:06 PM
The list is somewhat controversial from what I remember on the old forum and last year. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with this in chat due to those circumstances and we don't really know.

Supposedly some businesses didn't really know what they really were supporting etc.

Uncle Ben
03-18-2006, 11:16 PM
The list is somewhat controversial from what I remember on the old forum and last year. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with this in chat due to those circumstances and we don't really know.

Supposedly some businesses didn't really know what they really were supporting etc.

I have to agree with Wes as even though this is public information I am not sure we as RS really want it in chat just yet without some thought. :blah:

treerootCO
03-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Done and done. I deleted the list and left the pdf for people to form their own conclusions.

Shark Bait
03-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I remember talking to the former owners of Mondo Cafe last year about this. Some of these businesses got their names on this list somewhat un-intentionally. It was one of those deals where someone was walking around with a clipboard asking people to sign if they supported "X" cause. They they were listed publicly as being against the off roaders. Kind of bogus. So I wouldn't let this list carry too much weight with any decision to or not to patronize these businesses. I don't go into most of those places anyway.

Red_Chili
03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
there is no way mcstiffs is on that list. They would die without hikers/mtn bikers.

McStiffs is most definitely on the list, which in no way conflicts with your observation. They believe they would do quite well without OHV users such as yerself, and such as I.

Red_Chili
03-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Another one that makes me absolutely bumfuzzled as to why any OHVer would patronize them: the ice cream shop on the main drag that openly donates their profits to ultragreen (as in anti-OHV) causes. There are other sources of the stuff in town!

Groucho
03-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Are we to believe that all of those businesses had little or no idea how what they were signing affected OHV stuff? Come on. Seems like a sneaky way to support a cause and not lose business.

Red_Chili
03-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Some didn't know. Most did, or should have. It's like folks who advocate wilderness. To them 'wilderness' = unspoiled, wild country. They don't know the difference between 'wilderness' and 'Wilderness', which is considerable. A mtn. biking friend of mine actually had no idea that the capital 'W' meant he could NOT go there except on food or horseback. He would not believe me, in fact.