PDA

View Full Version : HRO Run Saturday 5/23

nakman
05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif Geeks, I'm going shopping next Saturday, anyone want to come? I mean, who would actually plan to go shop together anyway, what a nerd.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat4.gif

Meet outside HRO (http://www.hamradio.com/) at 09:20, they open at 9:30. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat1.gif come pet the new radios...

corsair23
05-17-2009, 01:43 AM
I might be up for this :D - Although I'm not going to actually "meet" you there since manly men don't meet up for shopping...Rather, we might just happen to show up at the same place as the same time on the same day :hill:

Have to see if I can get out of painting duty for the morning :thumb:

nakman
05-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Dudes, there HAS to be breakfast involved.

Great idea! when & where?

Mendocino
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I would love to go pet the 857D and the TM-D710A but alas will be on an airplane (again).:(

nakman
05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I can think of a few places that would work.
Breakfast Inn on Evans just west of Monaco (about a mile west of HRO)
Johnny's Diner on Havana near Iliff (closer to I-225)
The Breakfast King on Santa Fe and Mississippi. OK this is not really close to HRO, but it's the Breakfast King afterall, so you gotta mention it
Pete's at University and Evans
There are also a number of IHOPs, Perkins and that sorta thing around, but I'm partial to a good ol' local diner personally.

Ok will having been to none of them, I'm going to suggest #1 due to its relative qth to hro. 08:30?

wesintl
05-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm tentative... i could use some gadgets for the toys

Hulk
05-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I might be up for breakfast. :)

Rock Dog
05-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Are you gonna buy the 857D :D:D ...
i may be up for breakfast sat.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I maybe a new Ham owner by tomorrow, might get one for my B-day..I would love to go on Saturday and sponge knowledge from you gurus..I promise to ask a bunch of dumb questions....

nakman
05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Ok great. So Breakfast Inn at 8:30 then, see you then!

Groucho
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
I wanted to sneak out of the house to do this breakfast and HRO run, but we have an annual tradition to go to opening day on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (https://cumbrestoltec.com/video-room/). I used to work there as a fireman, and along with the geek hobby of HAM radio I love trains. Lots of old friends I only get to see once a year.

Uncle Ben
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
I've always wanted to take that train ride! We gotta chat about it sometime!

nakman
05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
KC0PEG QSX 147.225/+.600/107.2 and 146.146 QTU 0215Z to 0230Z in route to Breakfast Inn. Hopefully QSO. 73's.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif word. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat3.gif

leiniesred
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm going to try for breakfast. I'll be mobile on my bicycle with a HT for about an hour on the way there.

So, will I be mobile or portable? What about when I ride on the sidewalk?

Groucho
05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm going to try for breakfast. I'll be mobile on my bicycle with a HT for about an hour on the way there.

So, will I be mobile or portable? What about when I ride on the sidewalk?

Mobile operations is when the station is in a moving vehicle (anything that moves) and not at the same location as your license's permanent address.

Portable is a station that is fixed (not mobile) BUT not at the same place as the permanent station (which is the physical address of your license, most often home). Field Day run will be a portable operation; we won't be moving, but it won' t be at anyone's physical license address either.

Walking around the house with your HT is not mobile nor is it portable. Using the HT while on a bike is mobile. Walking to the gas station is mobile. Setting up a radio at camp is portable.

Undastan?

leiniesred
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
gotcha. Thanks, Groucho.

Uncle Ben
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Mobile operations is when the station is in a moving vehicle (anything that moves) and not at the same location as your license's permanent address.

Portable is a station that is fixed (not mobile) BUT not at the same place as the permanent station (which is the physical address of your license, most often home). Field Day run will be a portable operation; we won't be moving, but it won' t be at anyone's physical license address either.

Walking around the house with your HT is not mobile nor is it portable. Using the HT while on a bike is mobile. Walking to the gas station is mobile. Setting up a radio at camp is portable.

Undastan?

So Rudy will be mobile while he's riding his bike on or off the sidewalk but when he stops to ragchew he will be portable. What happens if he starts talking as he comes to a stop? :confused:

Groucho
05-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Undastan?

So Rudy will be mobile while he's riding his bike on or off the sidewalk but when he stops to ragchew he will be portable. What happens if he starts talking as he comes to a stop? :confused:

Being mobile does not necessarily mean you are physically mobile at the time. I guess the statement above should say a vehicle that will move or is in motion. If the 69 chevy is on blocks in the campground, it would be portable.

corsair23
05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
My brain hurts...:lmao:

Planning on seeing you guys for breakfast and then on to HRO to play with the geeky stuff :D

wesintl
05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
There is a vx-7r with mic and rapid charger there used for 220. It's john's one of the guys that works there. Smokin deal for someone that needs an HT

Hulk
05-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Did you get a cable, Wes?

wesintl
05-23-2009, 02:07 PM
no, they are not out yet at dealers but supposedly you can order one from the mfg online.

I did get a nifty diamond antenna :) Not nearly as cool as a jpole. You have to tell me how you like it once it's up.

DaveInDenver
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
no, they are not out yet at dealers but supposedly you can order one from the mfg online.

Looks like they're available June 10.

http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/yaesu_Template.cfm?yaesupage=ADMSVX8

Mendocino
05-23-2009, 03:51 PM
[/mildhijackon]

While you guys were at HRO I was at a Dacha ~ 50 km SE of Moscow. My colleague has had a huge problem with theft and needed help with his radio system (which I failed to take a pic of) that alerted the security agency that their was a crime in progress. In reality I think the "security" agency is really in cohoots with the thieves.:rolleyes:

Anyway, we grilled meat and drank vodka. I have also included a picture of some of the local fauna from my trip here two weeks ago...:D

I attached a *.kmz; if you have Google Earth installed click on the kmz and it will take you to where I was.:)

[/mildhijackoff]

corsair23
05-24-2009, 12:13 AM
There is a vx-7r with mic and rapid charger there used for 220. It's john's one of the guys that works there. Smokin deal for someone that needs an HT

Chris' buddy didn't pick it up? Thought for sure he was going to buy it.

That was a fun morning so thanks to Tim for setting this up. What happened to 'Sparky' (Rudy)? Thought he was meeting us over there on his bike :D

nakman
05-24-2009, 09:29 AM
what a fun way to spend a morning, thanks guys for coming out. After HRO I went over to Irbis, which is always a lot of fun. Hope to get started on the install later this evening.... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif

Uncle Ben
05-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Being mobile does not necessarily mean you are physically mobile at the time. I guess the statement above should say a vehicle that will move or is in motion. If the 69 chevy is on blocks in the campground, it would be portable.

But what if it fell off the blocks when you were goofing off in it? That would then be mobile....right?

Hulk
05-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I have also included a picture of some of the local fauna from my trip here two weeks ago...:D

Thanks for sharing. I'm living vicariously through you. :bowdown:

I did get a nifty diamond antenna :) Not nearly as cool as a jpole. You have to tell me how you like it once it's up.

I have to wait for the coax, which they're shipping from Phoenix. It was ~$65 for 50 feet of coax. :eek: This must be different stuff than they use to hook up my satellite dish, huh? Either that or copper is more expensive than I think.

Groucho
05-26-2009, 07:30 AM
But what if it fell off the blocks when you were goofing off in it? That would then be mobile....right?

Unless he decided to make that his address, then it wouldn't be either, since it would be his station...

Groucho
05-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I have to wait for the coax, which they're shipping from Phoenix. It was ~$65 for 50 feet of coax. :eek: This must be different stuff than they use to hook up my satellite dish, huh? Either that or copper is more expensive than I think.

Copper is pretty expensive these days. That is why recycle places who are actually legit are required to have you sign your name and give your ID for any metal recycling (aluminum cans excepted) because there is so much theft. We have a roll-off dumpster that is divided into two halves, one side for stainless and on side for aluminum and we deal with random theft even with a 500# lid on top. No way in heck do we keep our copper outside. It would be gone in a heartbeat.

The stuff for your Satellite dish is 75Ω coax. Unless you are doing all of the math to ensure proper matching of feedline, radio and antenna and find that you need a 75Ω match, it will impair your system from proper operation and good SWR ratio. Me? I leave all of the math to Dave.

leiniesred
05-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Breakfast was nice! Thanks to all for the fun company.

What happened to me? That road is no fun to ride. I bailed.
Besides, I just couldn't bring myself to join a group shopping trip! *Laughs*

DaveInDenver
05-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Been a year since this HRO breakfast. Anyone need to do a run? How about Saturday 5/22, make it an annual event.

Plus I have a bunch of external speakers to give out to people still.

1 x Ige
1 x Martin
1 x Matt Farr
1 x Ken Romer
1 x Jeff Zettl
1 x John Clary

leiniesred
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
In!

MDH33
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Have to work. Have fun. :yagi: :thumb:

DaveInDenver
05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Same place Rude?

Mendocino
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll have to skip. I'll be with Groucho tuning my 20m antenna on my 857d in the 40.:D

RockRunner
05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Dave I lost my antenna, just the wire part not the mount. If I pay them can you grab it and I will pick it up from you? I want to get the better one than I had if possible, do you remember the one I got? Think it was like yours.

Anyway let me know and I will call them and pay for it.

DaveInDenver
05-20-2010, 10:43 PM
I'll have to skip. I'll be with Groucho tuning my 20m antenna on my 857d in the 40.:D
What time will you guys be OTA? We can listen for you. It's too bad I'm slow and behind, otherwise I would have this Elecraft T1 ATU kit done by then and we could try a QRP/P contact as Leiniesred and I sip coffee at the Breakfast King as a test. But alas, by Saturday that ain't happening (we could try 6m USB, though, if you want).

That reminds me of another weekend project, winding a matching network/balun for an antenna, since I should have 24 feet of 6063 Al tubing here by tomorrow. Add eight ferrite beads, 10 feet of 12AWG wire, a SO239 and a stud (besides yours truly) and BINGO! you gotcha a 3-30MHz no-tuner needed antenna. Only 6dB (tisk-tisk) of loss for such widebandedness, but a tuner eats up a lot of RF matching to a random wire, too. Sure, compared to a 120 foot long dipole losing 2 S-units blows, but the thing might weigh 8 lbs when I'm done and will collapse down to 6'. My neighbors won't hate me, either.

Sure, Tom, I can grab you a replacement whip. You just need the skinny part with the coil in the middle, right? You have the base with the ferrule and set-screw still?

leiniesred
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Lindsay might come too. She's always up for breakfast, but not always up for early departures on bicycles!

Let's see. Same place and the time of 0830 MDT?

RockRunner
05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Sure, Tom, I can grab you a replacement whip. You just need the skinny part with the coil in the middle, right? You have the base with the ferrule and set-screw still?[/QUOTE]

Yes that is it. If there is a better one I will get htat one. What time are you going? I will be able to call them after 10:15 or so I am doing interviews right now.

DaveInDenver
05-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Sure, Tom, I can grab you a replacement whip. You just need the skinny part with the coil in the middle, right? You have the base with the ferrule and set-screw still?

Yes that is it. If there is a better one I will get htat one. What time are you going? I will be able to call them after 10:15 or so I am doing interviews right now.
Probably be there around when they open, which I think is about 9:30 or 10 on Saturdays. They might not have that specific part, so giving them a call is a good move I think. Since it's got the coil in the middle there really isn't a way to substitute something else, so you need the Larsen part.

RockRunner
05-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Dave were you able to stop by and pick it up? If so I can meet up with you Sunday hopefully if that works for you.

LMK what you think.

DaveInDenver
05-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Dave were you able to stop by and pick it up? If so I can meet up with you Sunday hopefully if that works for you.

LMK what you think.
We are going tomorrow, so yes I should have it Sunday. The afternoon is better, riding in the morning.

RockRunner
05-21-2010, 11:41 PM
thought you were going today, I'll get a hold of you, no rush.

RockRunner
05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Dave, when do you have time to meet up for me to get the whip from you.

jacdaw
05-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Dave, when do you have time to meet up for me to get the whip from you. Tom, see here... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=150617&postcount=85) :thumb:

DaveInDenver
05-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Dave, when do you have time to meet up for me to get the whip from you.
Like John said, I mentioned it in another post. Be in town this weekend, be over at Deer Creek tonight at the Open Space. Could come over C470 in the long way home. Actually doing C470 might work if I can coordinate with Jeff Zettl and Hulk to drop off their speakers.

Hulk
05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Like John said, I mentioned it in another post. Be in town this weekend, be over at Deer Creek tonight at the Open Space. Could come over C470 in the long way home. Actually doing C470 might work if I can coordinate with Jeff Zettl and Hulk to drop off their speakers.

I was planning to put my donor 80 back together again this weekend. I'll be around all 3 days. Come over, Dave, and I will give you beer and music.

DaveInDenver
05-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I was planning to put my donor 80 back together again this weekend. I'll be around all 3 days. Come over, Dave, and I will give you beer and music.
I'll swing by sometime then, about the only known bad time is Sunday afternoon. I'll call ya.