PDA

View Full Version : Flux Core Vs. Solid Core and Gas

Rzeppa
05-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I ran out of solid core today in the middle of a job. I poked around, didn't have any more so ended up substituting .030 flux core for the .023 solid core plus 75/25 gas.

I had not used the flux core before, but had heard/read that it can give better penetration but spatters more. Dunno about the former, but can definitely attest to the latter. YIKES! I aborted the project until I can get more solid core. Holy Moly Batman. What am I going to clean this up with that doesn't take all the paint off too?

In the photo below, see if you can guess which is with the solid+gas and which is flux core.

Beater
05-18-2009, 07:51 AM
zepp - you just need to use some anti-splatter. my favorite is a environmentally friendly product called "weld kleen" that goes on with a spray bottle. you can buy it by the gallon, or by the spray bottle. all welding stores carry it.

beware of the aerosol sprays, more goes in the air than the work, and they don't work worth a hoot imho

j

rover67
05-18-2009, 08:27 AM
yeah, I hate that crap. I'll wait a whole weekend just to get a bottle filled to avoid that stuff.

jettaglxdriver
05-18-2009, 11:18 AM
All I have is a flux core mig with no gas (I can add one of I spend the $) and my stuff always spatters all over. It takes me some getting used to when I do get to use a solid core with gas.

Rzeppa
05-18-2009, 06:12 PM
zepp - you just need to use some anti-splatter. my favorite is a environmentally friendly product called "weld kleen" that goes on with a spray bottle. you can buy it by the gallon, or by the spray bottle. all welding stores carry it.

beware of the aerosol sprays, more goes in the air than the work, and they don't work worth a hoot imho

j

Thanks for the advice John....BUT....if I'm in a welding supply store I could just buy a new roll of solid wire. Or two - so next time I have a spare roll handy.

;)

Rzeppa
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh yeah, the other thing that was weird was the sound. Just kind of a steady hiss instead of the bacon sizzling sound I'm used to.

I'll probably pick up a sprayer of Weld Kleen anyway in case I have to work outdoors in the wind.

Beater
05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
you should be using an anti-splatter at high voltage/high amp anyway. you will still get dingleberrys, even with mig above 160 amps, at full current.

Rzeppa
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
With 16 gauge steel like this I normally run about 1/2 power on my 130. I didn't change power or feed rate when I switched to flux core, just turned off the gas.

Beater
05-18-2009, 10:15 PM
huh? you should have reversed polarity and slowed way down on feed, as well as lowered current????

Rzeppa
05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
huh? you should have reversed polarity and slowed way down on feed, as well as lowered current????

My Millermatic 130 MIG doesn't have a polarity reversal, although I have seen that on pricier models and most (all?) TIGs. The feed and voltage seemed to give about the same penetration and heat as I had been using with the solid core plus gas. But thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind the next time I use flux core.

Beater
05-19-2009, 07:44 AM
most smaller machines require you to change the leads inside next to the rollers. it's not a "switch" as much as you "switching" it. I love english...

Rzeppa
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Just curious, what are the reasons for the above adjustments?

Red_Chili
05-19-2009, 07:21 PM
John will explain in depth, but it has to do with
a) current flow direction & how the metals behave, heat concentration, and
b) creating a conspiracy in the universe whereby I cannot use a Ready-Welder on my own truck if I choose to power it with the Premier PowerWelder, thereby forcing me to do my trademark ugly booger stick welds for emergency fixes involving vertical or overhead welds.

It's all about me, you see.

Rzeppa
05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
John will explain in depth, but it has to do with
a) current flow direction & how the metals behave, heat concentration, and
b) creating a conspiracy in the universe whereby I cannot use a Ready-Welder on my own truck if I choose to power it with the Premier PowerWelder, thereby forcing me to do my trademark ugly booger stick welds for emergency fixes involving vertical or overhead welds.

It's all about me, you see.

I love your new avatar! That would be Jack Nicholson on the back of Peter Fonda's Supercycle. I saw that movie when it came out (damn does that date me or what?).

Back on-topic, I will be picking up a new roll of .023 solid core tomorrow so I can resume welding without dingleberries. I was thinking of cleaning that mess up with a wire wheel. Since I'll be painting over it anyway, can anyone throw any pros/cons out there to this idea?

Beater
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
yep - electron flow baby... use a chipping hammer or a chisel/putty knife. Wire wheels won't get them all off, or even most of them.

then just wash off and wipe with acetone as normal.

Rzeppa
05-19-2009, 11:59 PM
use a chipping hammer or a chisel/putty knife. Wire wheels won't get them all off, or even most of them.

then just wash off and wipe with acetone as normal.

Oh goody, air/power tools not so much eh? Glad I suspended operations before dingleberries got out of hand.

Reminds me of Frank Zappa lyrics: Bullets can't stop it, rockets can't stop it, we may have to use NUCLEAR FORCE!