PDA

View Full Version : 235 mpg VW - could be available in 2010

Hulk
05-18-2009, 11:27 AM
It's not very powerful, but it's very cool!

Volkswagen 1-Liter 235 MPG Extreme Fuel Efficiency Car (http://www.greencar.com/articles/volkswagen-1-liter-235-mpg-extreme-fuel-efficiency-car.php)

subzali
05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
that thing looks scary. Maybe if EVERYBODY drove one the same size it'd be ok, but not with all the big trucks on our roads...

jettaglxdriver
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I bet using some of that same technology learned from this test bed they could make something bigger and safer that see 100mpg for the consumer.

Red_Chili
05-18-2009, 12:20 PM
that thing looks scary. Maybe if EVERYBODY drove one the same size it'd be ok, but not with all the big trucks on our roads...
That is precisely why the 'true believers' want to get SUVs, etc. off the road by any means possible (shame, taxation, making them illegal...).

jettaglxdriver
05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
It's a nice thought but they will get SUV's and trucks out of Americal Garages right after they get guns from their hands.

DaveInDenver
05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
No thanks. I'll continue to take my chances commuting on my bike, at least I can be relatively proactive and take a bike or dirt path or jump a sidewalk to avoid being squashed.

Red_Chili
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
It's a nice thought but they will get SUV's and trucks out of Americal Garages right after they get guns from their hands.
Well... I don't know of Constitutional Law's relationship to SUVs, but... I agree that we do need to downsize and simplify wherever possible, and we need to make cool efficiency safe too.

I'd be for it. As long as there's room for my AR-15. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

DaveInDenver
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Something like this, Bill? Might only get 175 MPG because the MK-44 weighs as much as the car...

DaveInDenver
05-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Jeremy Clarkson wrote about the Honda Insight. This the Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame, funny dude.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6294116.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

jettaglxdriver
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
awesome article.

Hulk
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Jeremy Clarkson wrote about the Honda Insight. This the Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame, funny dude.

Looks like I won't be adding a Honda Insight to my shopping list. Great article, thanks for sharing.

jacdaw
05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
T.G. also worked the Prius really hard on the show. Basically no love lost on hybrids where Jeremy's concerned. I'm sure you can easily find the episodes on youtube.Jeremy Clarkson wrote about the Honda Insight. This the Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame, funny dude.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6294116.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

subzali
05-20-2009, 02:41 PM
yeah his comments on the Prius were pretty funny...

ElliottB
05-20-2009, 03:38 PM
That article is hilarious!

I feel like there should be some way for cars like that Vdub and Cruisers to live in Harmony. Maybe a type of HOV lane that is designated for smaller cars. Maybe even different lanes for different weighted vehicles (tiny, compact, SUV's, tractor trailers, etc). Either way, I'd probably take my chances and drive one of those, 235 mpg is flippin' sweet.

jacdaw
05-20-2009, 04:03 PM
I agree in a bit of segregation. I watched a Smart-for-2 trying to play on I-70 and it just looked like a disaster waiting to happen. But for a city car, it seems ideal. I'd love one if I could afford a house with a three car garage and another car payment. I saw the 3-door Yaris for the first time at the last club meeting. I'd consider that one as well for a city car. Once upon a time I owned an '84 Civic wagon (pre CRV) with a 1300 fourbanger and 1 bbl carberettor -- that car got 45 mpg. The trade off was that it climbed hills like a snail. Oh wait, so does my Hilux.

That article is hilarious! I feel like there should be some way for cars like that Vdub and Cruisers to live in Harmony. Maybe a type of HOV lane that is designated for smaller cars. Maybe even different lanes for different weighted vehicles (tiny, compact, SUV's, tractor trailers, etc). Either way, I'd probably take my chances and drive one of those, 235 mpg is flippin' sweet.

corsair23
05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Where are diesel/electric hybrids?

Many of us have relatively short commutes than an electric car would be ideal for and if needed the diesel could be used to recharge the batteries...For longer drives, kick on the diesel :)

I don't know about the rest of you, but if Toyota made a diesel/electric 4Runner or Land Cruiser that I could commute in to work on electric power (45mph or less) yet also use it to drive up in the mountains, go off road with, and pull a popup camper, I'd be one of the first in line to check it out.

Hulk
05-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I've been contemplating buying a Honda Fit for about a year now. Sure would be nice to cut back on the fuel bills from the 80. I don't really drive enough miles to justify it though.

Red_Chili
05-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, a lot of folks used that reasoning to buy Priuses when gas was $4 (and there are more reasons than mpg to do that). It will be $4 again, for sure, but the breakeven point is WAY out there versus buying used small normal internal combustion cars.

Hulk
05-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I'd like to save money, but what I'd really like to do is make a hot rod Honda Fit. I think it would be a blast. :D They're fun to drive right off the lot, so you have something cool to start with. I miss owning a fast car.