PDA

View Full Version : Radiator giving up the ghost

Rock Dog
05-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Pulled in the Driveway yesterday, and the Radiator started leaking on my 96 FZJ80. not real bad, but bad enough.

The leak appears to be at the lower seam where the metal and plastic join :mad:

Since i have an opportunity to put in a better radiator if needed, looking for opinions and options for better cooling if possible.

I know some like UB have decided to go with the earlier radiator because it has no plastic.

Are there other options for an 80 radiator that is known to work better ? I do have a super charger so the cooler the better.

Hulk
05-20-2009, 08:04 AM
The fix is to yank off the supercharger and give it to me. :)

powderpig
05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Just install the early one from Toyota or get the perfromance radiator for the 93-94. Currently it is made in Indonesia and is from KOYO, 3 row brass and copper.
I know a couple of people have gotten custom aluminum for over 800 dollars. The only thing this did is eliminate the plastic.
Can look on Mud for Aluminum aftermarket Radiator.
Anyhow not that bad of install.

Rock Dog
05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks Robbie,
is the performance radiator a 4 core? It only appears to leak as it heats up, and quites when it cools off... That how i found where it was leaking from....

Rock Dog
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
That would probably only cause your radiator to go as well.... And being your friend i could not possibly do that to you :D :D I guess i will just have to keep the Super charger and suffer with replacing the radiator occasionally :thumb:
The fix is to yank off the supercharger and give it to me. :)

Hulk
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM
That would probably only cause your radiator to go as well.... And being your friend i could not possibly do that to you :D :D I guess i will just have to keep the Super charger and suffer with replacing the radiator occasionally :thumb:

Dude, as your friend, I am willing to fall on my sword for you. ;)

Peace out.

Rzeppa
05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
the metal and plastic join

Yikes! Bad bad bad Toyota. Metal good. Plastic is for albums and dash knobs. And if I had my way, the dash knobs would be machined out if billet brass!

WTF were they thinking?

SteveH
05-21-2009, 11:08 PM
It is theoretically possible to replace the rubber gasket and crimp the tank back on (with a new band) but often not economically practical to do so.

>>WTF were they thinking?

The same thing Ford and GM were thinking - that you'd sell the truck soon enough that it wouldn't matter.....

Rzeppa
05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
The same thing Ford and GM were thinking - that you'd sell the truck soon enough that it wouldn't matter.....

Hmmm, sounds like a prescription to go bankrupt.