PDA

View Full Version : 79' 1st Gen Build

mtnrunner
05-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums here but not to Yotas. This is my third buildup of a 1st gen pickup and my 5th built up Toyota. I tried the Jeep thing for a while but I keep coming back to Toyotas.

I pickup up this cherry 79' short box to start from. It was a 1 owner truck that lived in Nevada most of it's life. There is virtually no rust on this truck at all, mostly just surface rust around the windshield in a few spots and no rust on the frame. It has the original paint and interior except for the seats. Even the original vinyl floor is in exceptional shape and the dash has no cracks in the pad. It came to me with a Marlin 5" lift, 20R/Weber/5spd and too big for the truck 38.5" boggers.

First thing was to take the boggers off and sell them since this will be a crawler and not a mudder. I wanted a rig that was drivable to the trails and not one that needed to be trailered. I got some 37" KM2 muds for it.

The next swap was to replace the 20R/Weber combo. It ran great on the street but I hate messing with carbs on the trail. I found a 85' Celica with a 22RE up in Wellington for $350 that was in rough shape but the motor ran great. I drove the car home and yanked the motor out and sold the rest of the car and the 20R/Weber from the truck. I used the Celica harness and computer and installed the 22RE in the truck. I replaced all the gaskets and wear items on the 22RE while it was out. I picked up a Truck oil pan/pickup tube and air intake tube from Yota Jim so it would work in the truck. The motor swap turned out great and looks almost factory. It sure runs better and has more power. I put in a new Marlin Clutch/TO/pilot before joining it all together.

The rear axle already had 5.29/spool in it so it will be left alone. I'm currently completely rebuilding the front axle with beefy internals/externals. I've welded on the Trail Gear truss, birf bell gussets and diff protectors and installed Marlins dual lip seals. Last night a buddy helped me install the 5.29 gears and lockrite in the front. Tonight I get to re-assemble the front axle. I've cleaned up all the parts and painted them to look new again. I like a clean rig. The front is getting Longfield 30splines and new seals/bearings before it goes back together. The rig already has Marlins High Steer and a IFS gearbox on it. I will probably add Hydro assist later this summer.

I also installed some nice suspension seats in the process. It had some crappy XJ seats in it that didn't allow recline or adjustment.

Next up will be to bolt in my dual tcases and trailgear crossmember, build my longtravel front driveline and CV rear and set the rear pinion angle for a CV driveline. I also picked up some trailgear sliders and an Addicted Offroad prerunner front bumper. I have the bumper mounted and it looks great on the old truck.

Here are some pics, I can't wait to get her on the trails this summer.

Mark

Hulk
05-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Sweet truck! I love that vintage of minitruck. Spool in the rear, eh? I take it this is not your daily driver? :D

Man Jerk
05-20-2009, 09:25 AM
I absolutely love 1st gen pickups.

MDH33
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see such a clean 1st Gen! Looks like it's going to be a great rig when your build comes together. Thanks for sharing the pics.

mtnrunner
05-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys! I'll post some better ones tonight with it all back together. I'd like to eventually put a detroit in the rear. This is not a daily driver.

MDH33
05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I would love to find a replacement bed that clean for my '82. :rolleyes:

ElliottB
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
That's a great looking truck! You're going to love the trailgear sliders.

leiniesred
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Looks great! Certainly cleaner than my 1989 rig! Very cool.

Jacket
05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Beautiful!

jacdaw
05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Very very nice! Just in case rust is contagious, you better keep it away from my '80.

Rock Dog
05-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Looks GREAT! I like the front fender trim you did..

Red_Chili
05-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Quite schlick. Quite schlick indeed.

Minitrucks rool.

mtnrunner
05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, the Longfields are in and the axle rebuild/regear is complete! I'm beat and heading to bed. Once I get the 37's mounted I'll post some more pics.

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Now is doubler time.

mtnrunner
05-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Got the 37's bolted on with the 17x9 wheels. Looks too purdy to be a crawler.

Here are the pics:

Red_Chili
05-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Sweet sleeper, that's my style! Just armor it enough to keep it pretty... and wheel it.

jacdaw
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Yup, me likey. Come to the June meeting so us minitruck guys can get our drool on.

AxleIke
05-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Sweet sleeper, that's my style! Just armor it enough to keep it pretty... and wheel it.

It is a VERY nice truck, I'm jealous. But sleeper? Thats not a sleeper. To me, it screams, "Built to the teeth rock crawler".

Awesome build!!!

jacdaw
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
It is a VERY nice truck, I'm jealous. But sleeper? That's not a sleeper. To me, it screams, "Built to the teeth rock crawler".
Awesome build!!!Maybe what Bill means is that he appreciates that fact that it doesn't have a bunch of poser rash on it like a chrome show bar in the bed and 16 KC pencil beams, etc. The only additions I would make are Marlin Crawler rear bumper and sliders. Very clean, purpose-built truck.

AxleIke
05-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Maybe what Bill means is that he appreciates that fact that it doesn't have a bunch of poser rash on it like a chrome show bar in the bed and 16 KC pencil beams, etc. The only additions I would make are Marlin Crawler rear bumper and sliders. Very clean, purpose-built truck.

I appreciate that too. But, its still not a sleeper. Sleepers are vehicles that look stock or close to it, but have surprising capability.

For example, if you see a ford taurus at the race track that LOOKS like it just drove in off the highway, no fancy body kit, no fins, no race tires, no nothing, just a stock looking ford taurus, but then it has an 800 hp motor under the hood, with a blower and nitrous, a custom rear end and suspension, THAT is a sleeper.

Once again, the OP has an AMAZINGLY COOL truck. I love it. I wish I owned it. Please post more pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDH33
05-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Shiney 17" rims are a little to BLING! for a First Gen, but that's just me. :) If it were mine, it would be sporting stock steel rims and some 34x9.50 TSL bias ply swampers. :beer:

Nice Job! I agree that some Marlin sliders and rear bumper would finish it nicely.

jacdaw
05-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Shiney 17" rims are a little to BLING! for a First Gen, but that's just me. :) If it were mine, it would be sporting stock steel rims and some 34x9.50 TSL bias ply swampers. :beer:
Nice Job! I agree that some Marlin sliders and rear bumper would finish it nicely.Martin, I considered the TSL pizza cutters for my truck but I was afraid they'd bulge too much on the 5.5" wheels and bust a bead when aired down. You think they're okay?

MDH33
05-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Martin, I considered the TSL pizza cutters for my truck but I was afraid they'd bulge too much on the 5.5" wheels and bust a bead when aired down. You think they're okay?

I'm running the 34x10.50's on my stock steel 40 rims with no problem. Those bias ply tires have some seriously stiff sidewalls. I can air mine down to 5 psi and they barely bulge.

sorry for the thread hijack... Continue Praising the Shiney 1st Gen :bowdown:

EWheeler
05-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Best looking mini truck I have ever seen. Should be fun! :cheers:

isotel
05-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Looks Killer!

Those springs should settle down a bit after you wheel them, but it looks like you could stand to move the rear Shackle hanger forward a bit to lower it, and get to a more desirable shackle angle

mtnrunner
06-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I installed the dual t-cases and skid plate and then cut the old perches/shock mounts from the rear axle and and welded on new with the diff setup for a CV driveshaft. I have the measurements and parts for my driveshafts and need to drop them off this week to be tubed and balanced.

Next up is to weld on some sliders and get a rear bumper for it. Picked up a nice Grant Steering wheel and a 8500 lb Winch from Rockmen.

I was able to hold 65mph going up the Hill towards Denver from Castle Rock on I-25 so I am real happy with the 22RE power/37's/5.29 combo. I had to put on a new timing chain set and now it runs nice and quiet.

jacdaw
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Looking forward to seeing it in person.:thumb:

mtnrunner
06-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm planning on running the Spring Creek Fathers Day run this Sunday. Hope to see everyone there. I have her all together now and it runs great.

I agree the the rear spring hanger needs to be moved forward about 2 inches. The previous owner did that part and I will be moving it forward this summer sometime. Right now I just want to wheel it!

mtnrunner
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
The bank gave way a bit and ended up in this spot...oops

Overall the truck runs good now that I put the new Fuel Pump in. The rear springs are really stiff and don't flex like I want them too though.

corsair23
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
:eek:

Glad to see you got the rig out though :thumb:

As for the rear springs, load up the bed with weight (sand bags, whatever) for awhile...That should break them in quicker and hopefully improve your flex a bit.

jacdaw
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
The bank gave way a bit and ended up in this spot...oops
Overall the truck runs good now that I put the new Fuel Pump in. The rear springs are really stiff and don't flex like I want them too though.
:eek:Yikes Mark! Cool heads prevail in situations like this. Glad you got out without serious consequence. As for your rear springs, I went back through your photos and can't really tell, but how many leaves? Are there enough that you could pull one and relocate the shackles while still maintaining payload?

mtnrunner
06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing John. They have 8 leafs in those rear Marlin packs. They are not thin leafs like factory, so I assume that I could remove 1 or two. I never plan on really hauling anything in the bed except maybe my ATV that weighs 350lbs.

If that doesn't work I'm seriously considering linking the rear. Looks like a 3 link would work with some soft coil springs.