PDA

View Full Version : Caliper rebuild?

nakman
05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I may be swapping calipers in the near future, and will have a used caliper sitting on the workbench... the caliper was working fine though when removed. Would you do the rebuild as long as it's out? How hard is it to do? Can I do it? :confused:

treerootCO
05-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I may be swapping calipers in the near future, and will have a used caliper sitting on the workbench... the caliper was working fine though when removed. Would you do the rebuild as long as it's out? How hard is it to do? Can I do it? :confused:

I just rebuilt one rear caliper and replaced another with OEM. The rebuild is very easy but big hands make it interesting. 50psi and that piston will fly across the room!

rover67
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
stick a peice of wood where the rotor goes and hit it with the air gun, but be carefull!

Calipers are easy to rebuild!

Red_Chili
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I am a rebuilding enthusiast, but when it comes to brakes and hydraulics... I am a Toyota Reman fan. Just too important.

Mendocino
05-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I have rebuilt a number of calipers over the years but never Toyota. As Marco pointed out use a piece of wood. Also, make sure you do a thorough inspection to ensure that the calipers is rebuildable. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.:)

rover67
05-21-2009, 03:08 PM
take a peice of 4000 grit sand paper and hit the piston and cylinder to make sure all the rust is off of both.. kind-of hone them.

use a needle to get the old rubber ring out of the cylinder in the caliper.. just poke it in the rubber and lift it out.

I can swing by and help if you like.

but like bill says, you can buy reman.. but i've bought reman and had them leak too.

nakman
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
So what's at stake, just some leaking? Or eminent death? Would I know relatively soon after I bolted it up if the rebuild was/wasn't done properly?

powderpig
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
The rebuild is easy on my scale. Just time consuming. I would not use sand paper, but scotch brite pads. I did not know they maid a 4000 grit sand paper Marco. I usually use two prybars to pull out the pistons. It is not recommended to unbolt the two halfs of the front caliper, the kit does not have new 0 rings for this.
If you use air, do not breath the atomized brake fluid, could mess with you for a couple of days. Really not goo for the lungs.
Rebuild kits are fairly cheap compared to the reman charge. I would only reman if they are really rusty.
The back calipers are a bit tougher as putting them back together is a pain. There have been a thread or two a few weeks ago about how to install the rear piston into the pot.

nuclearlemon
05-21-2009, 03:58 PM
i doubt anything is at stake. i've rebuilt multiple calipers, never without an issue. both front calipers on my 40 are rebuilt, both on my 60 were rebuilt, one on my 80 is rebuilt, both on clampy were rebuilt, i even have two rebuilt ones on the shelf waiting to go into the pig.

nakman
05-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Alright, cool. So quantify time consuming here Robbie, 10 minutes instead of your usual 5?

I may just go for this, I'm curious how these suckers go together anyway. :)

sleeoffroad
05-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Just make sure all the pistons move when you apply the air. If you pop one out, then the air will obviously not get the others out. So try to get them all moving (if this is the front).

treerootCO
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I sanded my rusted pitted pistons with 60 grit. No worries here and I don't mess around with steering or brakes. The thread on mud about the razor blade at a 15 degree angle and the machining marks cracks me up.

Red_Chili
05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
but like bill says, you can buy reman.. but i've bought reman and had them leak too.
Ah, but I didn't say reman... I said Toyota reman...

rover67
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Ahhh.. TOYOTA reman! :)

4000, 2000... whatever it takes :) Just use the finest stuff you can get at automoan. Or a scotchbrite pad as suggested.

Really, it's not a hard job..

Uncle Ben
05-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Caliper - smeliper piece of ice cream pie man....;)

simps80
05-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I sanded my rusted pitted pistons with 60 grit. No worries here and I don't mess around with steering or brakes. The thread on mud about the razor blade at a 15 degree angle and the machining marks cracks me up.

he's not lying

but he did hold the 60 grit at a 15 degree angle so its cool

treerootCO
05-22-2009, 05:00 PM
he's not lying

but he did hold the 60 grit at a 15 degree angle so its cool

I should clarify, Simps sanded and rebuilt my caliper. I just drank his beers and watched. :hill: