PDA

View Full Version : Lifting options for my 60

jettaglxdriver
05-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Any thoughts for a 2"-2.5" lift on my 60? I am wanting to run 33"s or 35" for trail running and moderate wheeling. No real hard core stuff.

Should I build a system using Alcan springs or just get an OME setup?

Mendocino
05-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd start here (http://www.proffittscruisers.com/suspensions/spring-over-axle.html).:thumb:

Chris
05-21-2009, 11:08 PM
If you want 35's Alcan would be the way to go, 33's I suggest OME.

ElliottB
05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
OME heavy/heavy is the way to go. It will probably outlive the rest of the components on the truck.

jettaglxdriver
05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah 1GF, 3 kids, 1 black lab, & Camping gear. I was planning on a heavy setup. HEHE

rover67
05-22-2009, 03:20 PM
I did OME Heavy Heavy and to fit 35's is a real stretch. I had to do lots of other stuff also.

33's fit really nice with the OME kit though..

nuclearlemon
05-22-2009, 03:27 PM
the 60 i ran in moab, bob bancrofts', is ome heavys with 35s and it rubs quite often. i'd go alcans or soa (but more tippy) for 35s

DaveInDenver
05-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd start here (http://www.proffittscruisers.com/suspensions/spring-over-axle.html).:thumb:
Doing a SOA is I think a major decision point for a mildly wheeled rig. Heck, Crash does fine on SUA still. I think the OME/33" tire combo is great for less dedicated rigs. I run the mini truck version and 9,473 of it's 10,266 annual miles are going to work, up to Loveland on I-70 and to after work rides off C-470. For that it rides great and isn't too much of a white knuckle affair in evasive moves dodging some jackass in a hurry coming down after skiing. The suspension and two lockers still is way, way, way, way, way, way better than the driver... Not to mention the better half and the dog don't complain too much climbing into it, where another half foot of height would start to irritate them.

nakman
05-22-2009, 06:00 PM
No real hardcore stuff? then do the OME lift, and just run 33's, IMO.

Cheeseman
05-22-2009, 07:42 PM
On my 62, same only different, I have the OME set up. I would like the extra heavy springs. Have them for the rear but not the front. It is not enough for 35's on the trail but this rig sure likes 35's on the street with 4.88 gears. I will not take 35's on the trail but would switch back to 33's for that. Much less rub. Good flexing cuz of the weight of the 62. Need new shocks though. Will ride much smoother then. I also put longer shackles from someone I can't remember who. That helped also.
________
POV SEX (http://www.****tube.com/categories/33/pov/videos/1)

jettaglxdriver
05-22-2009, 10:18 PM
So sounds like I want to do 33"s because I drive it a lot with the OME Heavy/Heavy with full greasable bolts. I don't want to do crazy offroad because I don't want my rig on it's top or bashed up. Once I get this lift and tires setup I will just work on the fine tweaks, mods, and reliability stuff to get it trail ready.

farnhamstj
05-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree that 33's and OME is great for everyday drivability. 35's will require regearing. I am not a fan of greaseable bolts. I've broken 2 of them. Greaseable bolts are hollow with holes the middle of them than allow the grease to get to the bushings. Not great for heavy rigs if you ask me. Mine seemed to break at those holes. For Colorado/ Utah 33's are more than adequate.

CardinalFJ60
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
that's what I have in my 60, 33's OME Heavies. They flex nicely and have a great ride. my 60 is pretty much my DD and this is perfect for what I want/need to do. I head over vail pass fairly often (paaaaiinfully slow) but great once I'm there.

even just going with 33's, you may want to think about re-gearing to 4.11 down the road. 4.11's bring it pretty close to stock gearing. It's a nice drivable/wheelable setup.

(snicker, snicker) and...heck while your in there re-gearing, you may as well throw in the lockers. (snicker, snicker)

jettaglxdriver
05-23-2009, 03:09 PM
HEHE I really want to do lockers and was thinking the same thing when you said gearing.

Good point on the greasable bolts. I never thought of that.

wesintl
05-23-2009, 03:35 PM
while ome may be the way to go... spring over rides like a Cadillac. Esp compared to bumpy ome springs. To me, that makes a difference on a street rig too.

Rzeppa
05-23-2009, 03:40 PM
the 60 i ran in moab, bob bancrofts', is ome heavys with 35s and it rubs quite often. i'd go alcans or soa (but more tippy) for 35s

Oh come on Ige, you know you'd recommend Pinnacles!

:eek:

Seriously, for 35s, I would suggest SOA for the better ride and flex. Then comes the project creep...track bar, extended brake lines, cut and turn, high steer arms, double cardan joint, etc.

For 33s, especially 33x10.5, OME and you're done.

Mendocino
05-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Doing a SOA is I think a major decision point for a mildly wheeled rig. Heck, Crash does fine on SUA still. I think the OME/33" tire combo is great for less dedicated rigs. I run the mini truck version and 9,473 of it's 10,266 annual miles are going to work, up to Loveland on I-70 and to after work rides off C-470. For that it rides great and isn't too much of a white knuckle affair in evasive moves dodging some jackass in a hurry coming down after skiing. The suspension and two lockers still is way, way, way, way, way, way better than the driver... Not to mention the better half and the dog don't complain too much climbing into it, where another half foot of height would start to irritate them.

Aw come on Dave; nothing exceeds like excess.:D

DaveInDenver
05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Aw come on Dave; nothing exceeds like excess.:D
True, so true. Do as I say, not as I do, eh?