Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   4Wheeling and Event Staging Area (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Favorite Summer passes (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19838)

farnhamstj 06-28-2013 09:52 AM

I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.

Caribou Sandstorm 06-28-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farnhamstj (Post 235346)
I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.

LOL, ok we need a Rising Sun gang day at WW... Hey funny you mentioned Ptarmagin, Mccallister cause after PramJockey's post I was checking that out as a potential and wondering if you would show me around that area. Any interest in running that again maybe Friday the 5th or Sat the 6th?

Caribou Sandstorm 06-28-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 235314)
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. :( Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.

EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"

Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.

Crash 06-28-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm (Post 235348)
Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.

Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.

DaveInDenver 06-28-2013 11:47 AM

Dunno why the Gazetter wouldn't have it, but French Pass shows up on Trails Illustrated. It's cataloged as USFS trail #651 and open to non-motorized traffic. Just rode up there last summer.

OilHammer 06-28-2013 12:22 PM

My favorite summer pass is the "Hall Pass".

rover67 06-28-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 235350)
Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.

Wheeler pass is non motorized now. The loop up to it along with the descent back down the Colorado trail on the east side of the 10 mile range is some of my favorite single track on a MTB.

I wish I was allowed to do it on my Dirt Bike.... my mom who can't hike/MTB up there could ride it and see it. It is such a neat route..

pramjockey 06-29-2013 05:44 PM

I'm thinking of heading up and doing Ptarmigan/McAllister on July 6 if anyone's interested.

Crash 10-22-2013 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been awhile but I finally found the pic of what Breckenridge looked like when I first arrived there in '72. No t-shirt shops and only one stop light in the entire county. Pic was taken from the old county court house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 235314)
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. :( Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.

EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"

nattybumppo 10-22-2013 06:43 PM

That's a great pic Steve!