Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Advice or a possible Press (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6356)

AxleIke 03-03-2008 11:19 PM

Advice or a possible Press

The dilemma.

I have a fully disassembled mini transfer case sitting on my bench.

The last step is to remove the main shaft, which, according to Marlin and others, should be accomplished with a dead blow hammer, carefully and gently.

As you've guessed, no.

As is typical with all things old, this baby isn't budging with a 4lb sledge.

The issue is that the bearing that surrounds said main shaft is stuck nicely, as it likely should be, and that must come out with the main shaft, or so I'm lead to believe.

Any tricks or tips? I don't need the bearing any more, perhaps a long pipe against the bearing to drive it out?

And, if not, anyone in North denver/Louisville/Lafayette have a press?

powderpig 03-04-2008 05:20 AM

I have Kevin's press at my house in the foothills of boulder if you do not find anything else closer to you. Have you tried a little heat on the case to see it the expansion of the aluminum will release the bearing? Home phone is 303-665-1101

lfd270ben 03-04-2008 06:29 AM

10 ton press in louisville just pm me your number

leiniesred 03-04-2008 08:36 AM

12 ton in aurora.

I don't remember ever having to use a press to take a t-case apart. You might be missing a bearing retainer or snap ring somewhere.

AxleIke 03-04-2008 09:23 AM

Thats what i thought, missing a bearing retainer. But, I've gone round and round the thing, and don't see anything missing. Also gone back over the directions about 5 times, and I didn't miss any steps.

For those who have presses, do you also have pipes, or other hollow impliments to press over about an 11 inch shaft? I may just bring it up and be done with it, as I also need to press off the 2.28 gear, and i have a clamshell for it.

Crash 03-04-2008 09:38 AM

20 ton (I win!) here in NW Denver near Sloan Lake. Be glad to help if I can.
Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxleIke (Post 64857)
Thats what i thought, missing a bearing retainer. But, I've gone round and round the thing, and don't see anything missing. Also gone back over the directions about 5 times, and I didn't miss any steps.

For those who have presses, do you also have pipes, or other hollow impliments to press over about an 11 inch shaft? I may just bring it up and be done with it, as I also need to press off the 2.28 gear, and i have a clamshell for it.

Uncle Ben 03-04-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 64859)
20 ton (I win!) here in NW Denver near Sloan Lake. Be glad to help if I can.
Steve

Sorry to burst your bubble sir! Robbie didn't post the specs on mine! :lmao: :p:

Crash 03-04-2008 02:24 PM

And neither did you, so, on published spec terms, I still win!! Yay me!
:hill:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 64942)
Sorry to burst your bubble sir! Robbie didn't post the specs on mine! :lmao: :p:

AxleIke 03-04-2008 02:51 PM

Going over to Robbies tonight unless something changes.

Thank you to all who offered!!!

Hes just closest to me.

Uncle Ben 03-04-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 64948)
And neither did you, so, on published spec terms, I still win!! Yay me!
:hill:

OK you win! :rolleyes: ;)