Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   BHCC 2011 Planning (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Things to do in South Dakota before BHCC (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10113)

Hulk 06-08-2009 02:23 PM

Things to do in South Dakota before BHCC

We're making a full week out of the Black Hills Cruiser Classic. I'm bringing my wife and kids, and we want to do some fun vacation things before we show up to the BHCC. I'm hoping to hit the road on Friday night, July 10 or Saturday, July 11, so we'll have 3-4 days to have fun prior to the big wheelin' event.

What are some things we should do in South Dakota? The only thing on my list is Mt. Rushmore.

Also, any recommendations as to where to stay would be appreciated as well!

wesintl 06-08-2009 02:45 PM

Devils Tower NP is cool to see

Badlands NP

Crazy horse memorial

Deadwood

sturgis

Jacket 06-08-2009 04:12 PM

Custer State Park is a great escape from the crowds at Mt Rushmore and Rapid City - nice place for a hike, picnic, drive, etc.

Evan's Plunge is on the way to Rapid City if your kids like to swim. It's nothing special, but I liked the fact that it seemed to be frozen in time - sort of a relic from many decades ago.

There's a boatload of touristy things in Rapid City, including various reptile parks and a drive through animal sanctuary (buffalo, mountain goats, big cats, etc.) that my kids enjoyed.

Uncle Ben 06-08-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacket (Post 109189)
Custer State Park is a great escape from the crowds at Mt Rushmore and Rapid City - nice place for a hike, picnic, drive, etc.

Evan's Plunge is on the way to Rapid City if your kids like to swim. It's nothing special, but I liked the fact that it seemed to be frozen in time - sort of a relic from many decades ago.

There's a boatload of touristy things in Rapid City, including various reptile parks and a drive through animal sanctuary (buffalo, mountain goats, big cats, etc.) that my kids enjoyed.

Evans Plunge in Hot Springs, SD is an awesome pool! We never miss it when we head up there. The two indoor water slides and the one indoor/outdoor slides are great and the rope swings are always a hit too!

Reptile Gardens is cool to visit once maybe twice in your life. Bear Country Safari is a blast for all ages! We were disappointed last time though as they changed the baby bear area so you are not nearly as face to face as you used to be. There are many tourist venues in the Black Hills that are not worth the money. Caves are on example. There are tones of them everywhere! We have been to a lot of them over the years and our favorites are Wind Cave, Crystal Cave, Rushmore Cave and Jewel Cave. Jewel is out of the way but worth seeing but make reservations as the tours fill up for the whole day early. Borglum Historical Center in Keystone is also an awesome time kill and you will learn more about Mount Rushmore there than any other site!

hondo 06-09-2009 08:09 PM

The waterfalls in Spearfish Canyon, Ellsworth A.F.B. the wild life loop in Custer S.P. our kids enjoyed these and it was inexpensive.

bigbluefj 06-11-2009 07:32 AM

Just a hint it's my B-DAY before the event and i'm leaving here on friday the 10th so i'm hoping to be there late fri early sat to see some site's my self and do something different on my birthday this year..

Uncle Ben 06-11-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluefj (Post 109429)
Just a hint it's my B-DAY before the event and i'm leaving here on friday the 10th so i'm hoping to be there late fri early sat to see some site's my self and do something different on my birthday this year..

You wont be disappointed! Take your Nephew again! My kids have always been in awe about the Black Hills just as I was/am!

Another absolutely must do thing is the needles highway!

Groucho 06-11-2009 08:03 AM

I think I have the perfect thing for at least you and Charlie. And, in typical Nathaniel stylee, guess what it is? Could it be a HAM radio geeks museum? A choo-choo? The worlds largest ball of twine?

Keepin ya guessing...

Hulk 06-11-2009 11:29 AM

You guys are great! Keep it coming!

Kevin, do you want to coordinate schedules? You can come check out some of the tourist sites (and sights) with the Farr family.

bigbluefj 06-11-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 109471)
You guys are great! Keep it coming!

Kevin, do you want to coordinate schedules? You can come check out some of the tourist sites (and sights) with the Farr family.

That would be great i'll give you a call and see what we could put together, as for my nephew he's a working man now plus he's taller than i'am now 14 year's old now..

Kevin