Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ouray/Telluride/Silverton Trip (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10531)

irbis 08-04-2009 08:28 PM

Ouray/Telluride/Silverton Trip

4 Attachment(s)
The family and I went on a trip to Ouray, Telluride and Silverton with our '98 Land Cruiser plus two dogs. First stop was Ouray. We camped at Camp Bird which is located in the Yankee Boy Basin area. Below is a picture of Blue Mesa Reservoir, which we passed on the way. For those who are looking for a wonderful scenic trip, Ouray is definitely the place. The views were spectacular. We also took a small trail up to the campground and you can see the car there under an overhang.

irbis 08-04-2009 09:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
On the second day of the trip we decided to give Black Bear Pass a try. The trail goes between Ouray and Telluride and offers amazing views of both. We started the trail in Ouray. The only hard part of this trail are the switchbacks going down to Telluride. Technically this trail is ideal for vehicles with a short wheel base, but the LC handled it just fine. You basically drive along a ridge for the majority of the trail, but the sights are definitely worth it. There is also the historical aspect of seeing what remains in the Historic Mining District. Pictures of Bridal Veil Falls are posted as well as the LC taking the tightest switchback on the trail.

irbis 08-04-2009 09:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pictures of Black Bear Pass

theboomboom 08-04-2009 09:16 PM

Lucky! This is very similar to the trip I was hoping to take earlier this summer, great pictures and it sounds like you had a great time.

irbis 08-04-2009 09:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
By the time we made it down to Telluride the rain had started to pour and we still had to set up camp. We headed about six miles south of Telluride to Alta Lakes. If anyone is looking for a gorgeous place to camp, this is it. There are several lakes and a variety of spots to choose from. There is no host and no fees to pay. It was pretty quiet there the night we were there. It is also located near a ghost town for those interested in the historical aspect. The trail uo to the lakes is pretty simple, although a bit muddy in the rain. Pictures include shots of the lake we camped near and a shot of our two Alaskan Malamutes.

irbis 08-04-2009 10:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The next day we headed south another couple miles and took Ophir Pass to get to Silverton. The turn off for the pass is really easy to miss and the town itself is really small. The Pass offered some nice views as well as some more of the furry creatures that feel the need to eat in the middle of the trail. We passed straight through Silverton and headed towards Cinammon pass. We couldn't find any good campgrounds in the town and ended up camping a little bit North of Cinammon Pass. Both of the passes offered no trouble at all and we found ourselves camping in Lake City the following day. Lake City had a couple campgrounds but all were very crowded with minimal water access. On the last day of our trip we headed North of Gunnison to Taylor Reservoir. Although we didn't get the chance, there were lots of wonderful campgrounds all along the river and the reservoir is said to have wonderful fishing. Overall it was a great trip. Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures.

MDH33 08-04-2009 10:27 PM

Excellent Oleg! I saw you as you went by near Monarch Pass I think. Sorry I wasn't around the same time you were camping in my area of Ouray. Looks like you had a great trip. :thumb:

rover67 08-05-2009 07:56 AM

Looks like a wonderfull trip Oleg! Maybe next time :)

JadeRunner 08-05-2009 08:56 AM

Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you getting out of the shop and relaxing in the mountains.

And thanks again for all the work you're guys did on the JadeRunner the other week.