Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions) (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10919)

nakman 09-25-2009 05:07 PM

Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions)

So on Wednesday night driving home my CEL came on. Pulled the code last night and yup, PO401. so I cleared it, driving the 80 again today and it hasn't come back on yet.

I have 2 theories: one is I am pretty sure I've got an exhaust leak, maybe multiple. Occasionally when I start the truck I can hear something rattle.. I can also get it to rattle at various RPM's, like power breaking while wheeling I can get it to rattle pretty good... second theory is the second guessing of the Landtank MAF mod... which has been in place for about 10,000 miles now.

I can't remember what all got replaced when I had 401 last time, I think the IAC valve? Maybe :robbie: remembers... anyway I'm not going to do anything until the light comes on again, but am open to any peanut gallery comments in the interim. :beer: :popcorn:

Uncle Ben 09-25-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakman (Post 119954)
So on Wednesday night driving home my CEL came on. Pulled the code last night and yup, PO401. so I cleared it, driving the 80 again today and it hasn't come back on yet.

I have 2 theories: one is I am pretty sure I've got an exhaust leak, maybe multiple. Occasionally when I start the truck I can hear something rattle.. I can also get it to rattle at various RPM's, like power breaking while wheeling I can get it to rattle pretty good... second theory is the second guessing of the Landtank MAF mod... which has been in place for about 10,000 miles now.

I can't remember what all got replaced when I had 401 last time, I think the IAC valve? Maybe :robbie: remembers... anyway I'm not going to do anything until the light comes on again, but am open to any peanut gallery comments in the interim. :beer: :popcorn:

The leak is most likely the crotch of the Y pipe. The valve Robbie replaced is the EGR vacuum control solenoid. I have not popped a 401 since I replaced mine and I too am running Ricks MAS (happily) You might check the EGR sensor for crud build up.

nakman 09-25-2009 05:23 PM

Is the EGR sensor that 14mm nut deal on the top of the intake manifold? the one that was a real bugger to break free?

Uncle Ben 09-25-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakman (Post 119958)
Is the EGR sensor that 14mm nut deal on the top of the intake manifold? the one that was a real bugger to break free?

Yup.....thats the one.

ttubb 09-25-2009 06:03 PM

P401

On my 80 I occasionally got the code on Scan Gage. It seemed to happen after I had been driving a while and stopped for a short time then restarted the engine. After a few minutes of highway driving I would get the code. I would reset it and the problem would not reappear for some time, like months. So I did not worry about it and it did not seem to be a problem. T

Romer 09-25-2009 06:40 PM

An 02 sensor would pop another code on its own, but could it contribute to the P0401?

Ialso am still running Rick's MAF with the vacuum line hooked up

Corbet 09-26-2009 08:49 AM

Mine disappeared this summer after being on for 18 months?

powderpig 09-26-2009 11:22 AM

Your solieniod was fried (no current could pass through it to pull the valve shut).
That is what I replaced last time for you. If the code comes on again. I can give you suggestions or I can come look at it and see if my work mess up.
Let me know.

bigbluefj 09-26-2009 03:40 PM

Code's what are these thing's you all are talkng about, NEW 80 OWNER hehe..

nakman 09-26-2009 07:45 PM

Ok so I cleaned up the EGR sensor thing, I guess it looked dirty but it didn't look that bad. Anyway, still no return of the code, though last time it only would happen on longer trips.

:canada: Kevin you'll know soon enough, eh. ;)