Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Alternative cell phone plans? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=12075)

Rezarf 02-01-2010 04:01 PM

Alternative cell phone plans?

Howdy everyone-

Has anyone tried some of these newer "non big name" phone companies? I have been looking at the Smart Talk from Wal-Mart of all places. 30 bucks a month for 1000 minutes and a 1000 texts (it is on Verizons network). Or 40 bucks for unlimited everything (less web).

I am not a phone surfer, just need text and phone. Anyone got any advice to shave down the cell bill a bit?

Drew

Hulk 02-01-2010 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This.

Big John 02-01-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 135786)
This.

You can't even find one of those anymore.

corsair23 02-01-2010 05:46 PM

Drew,

How many minutes/texts do you do a month? Seems like the TracFone is pretty popular for people that don't tend to use a cell phone much.

The pricing for the Smart Talk sounds pretty dang good though :thumb:

Air Randy 02-01-2010 06:34 PM

Most of the time, especially if you are willing to negotiate, you can get the best deal by staying with the phone carrier you currently have service on. If you leave them and change to another carrier this is known as "churn" and they will do just about anything to keep you from "churning" to another carrier.

Tell them you need to change your service plan to the cheapest they have in terms of minutes, cost per minute, etc. They even have special hardship plans they don't publicize, etc.

DaveInDenver 02-01-2010 06:36 PM

Kirsten's phone is a pre-paid T-Mobile. Usually we add $25 in minutes at a time, which I think is 120 minutes. Those do expire after a year I think but usually it's about once every 3 months or so she has to re-up. When my iPhone plan expires I'm going the same route, $100 per year instead of $80 per month makes a lot more sense when I roll over 90% of my minutes per month already.

Mendocino 02-01-2010 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this phone in use three weeks ago.:eek:

Rezarf 02-01-2010 10:30 PM

Stacy and I use about 1200 minutes a month combined, but we have that Verizon "in calling" I am not sure if we drop that what kind of totals we are looking at. As for texting we send around 500 a month (we work with students ;) )

Beater 02-02-2010 06:36 AM

Well, I work for one of those big ole carriers, and while I don't work on the consumer or mobile side directly, the churn comment is correct. I would either go pre-paid, or call them up and go to the smallest plan option. Eliminate web usage, hell I get it free, and use it for business and my usage is tiny, but I don't have an iphone, droid or the like.

make sure you do the carriers in network or family plan. I prefer in network over "friend" plans, as your inbound calls are what kill you on those.

good luck.