Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ScanGauge II where to buy? and more?? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=12348)

farnhamstj 03-02-2010 04:51 PM

ScanGauge II where to buy? and more??

I'm thinking about buying a SG II. Any suggestions on where to buy. $159 seems to be the going rate. Any experiences? good or bad? It'll be an internet purchase. I'm not really looking for the best deal, more concerned with reputable/helpful retailer.

Next question is more difficult and perhaps when I have one I'll figure it out better? how do I adjust for r&p gearing being non factory and not factory tire size?

Lastly, I assume it'll give "P0401" and such for CEL codes. Then I cross reference those with factory manual(I already one one) to know what the code means or does the SG II have Toyota protocol and text read out describing the cause of the CEL? (currently no CEL or other issues exist, P0401 is just an example)

rover67 03-02-2010 05:08 PM

Dunno 'bout the rest, but "P0" codes are all standard, you can just google it.

example:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0401

Hulk 03-02-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farnhamstj (Post 140130)
I'm thinking about buying a SG II. Any suggestions on where to buy. $159 seems to be the going rate. Any experiences? good or bad? It'll be an internet purchase. I'm not really looking for the best deal, more concerned with reputable/helpful retailer.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. I thought they were like $220. Maybe we can get a group buy? I have been wanting one as well.

corsair23 03-02-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farnhamstj (Post 140130)

Next question is more difficult and perhaps when I have one I'll figure it out better? how do I adjust for r&p gearing being non factory and not factory tire size?

Lastly, I assume it'll give "P0401" and such for CEL codes. Then I cross reference those with factory manual(I already one one) to know what the code means or does the SG II have Toyota protocol and text read out describing the cause of the CEL? (currently no CEL or other issues exist, P0401 is just an example)

I bought mine directly from Scangauge back when...I see group buys listed from time to time so I'm betting they'd put something together for you.

The Scangauge won't correct your speedometer for non-stock gearing or tires, but you can add a % factor (+/-) in the setup that will then be used to calculate your speed that the display can show. If you aren't far off then no biggie as far as shift points on the tranny are concerned etc and you can use the Scangauge to show you your true speed. Of course you'll need a GPS to really figure out what % you are off by.

And yes to your last question..

nuclearlemon 03-02-2010 05:40 PM

mine was about $159. well worth the money..i love mine. keep it permanantly mounted on my dash. use the live average mpg, just starting using the average cost/fillup. nice to have realtime reading on water temp. this is all in addition to the code reader.

gahi 03-03-2010 04:10 PM

I'm looking at buying one too. Anyone find 'em cheaper?

bigbluefj 03-03-2010 10:12 PM

nope going price on them, i just picked one up a few months ago love it so far

Kevin

TIMZTOY 03-03-2010 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i bought mine from cornwell tools for $69 super small and sweet.... all us techs have um. just your basic code reader.. but tells you all your codes up to your 1400+ codes

ttubb 03-04-2010 05:41 AM

I bought one for my 80 and I (now my son Justin) has it hooked up full time. The main advantage for the 95-97 series 80s is the real time coolant temp. Saves having to do the mod plus give many more features than just codes and resets. I think I paid $159 also.
Farnham won't have to use the temp feature in his "modern" vehicle! Terry

corsair23 03-04-2010 11:46 AM

So true...

The Scanguage is really a "nice to have" digital guage cluster primarily with a scanning tool as a bonus...For me, my primary reason for buying it was to monitor the coolant temp. Even with the temp mod you are left with approximating what your temp is...The Scangauge tells you exactly and you can notice subtle fluctuations.