Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   After CM2010 - May 3rd - May 6th (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=12432)

rhyary 03-08-2010 08:46 AM

After CM2010 - May 3rd - May 6th

It was suggested by Hants that I will open a specific thread for this topic. So here it is:
I would like to do more trails after last day of CM2010, since I am already there. I have to start driving back on Friday. So I have Monday to Thursday to do more trails.

The thread should cover two issues: 1. What trails, 2. With whom.
As you all know, even if the trail is magnificent, going solo is not advisable.
So I am looking for:

1. what trails
2. Who wants to join.

There is a potential that another eastern truck will join me, so we will be two trucks. But I don't have a commitment yet.

Also, if a trail is suggested, please point me where I can get trail maps and in general how to move about in Moab. The CM event takes the navigation issue out, but from May 3rd to May 6th I will have to know my way around. Unless one of the local decide to join us.

Lastly - Not interested in breaking parts so equivalent of 6 and below from the trail system on the CM site. I like driving in the desert so if anyone can suggest trails that are driving vs. rock crawling that will be preferred.

Many thanks in advance

Rami

Blackdiamond72 03-08-2010 09:34 AM

Run the rim trail in Canyon Lands NP, I was told its around 200 miles and no real obstacles. Great views the entire time.

rhyary 03-08-2010 10:27 AM

Hmm sounds like fun. Anyone did that trail recently?

MDH33 03-08-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyary (Post 141378)
Hmm sounds like fun. Anyone did that trail recently?

I haven't, but I do know you need permits for the White Rim trail if you intend to camp along the way. You can do it in a single day, but it wouldn't leave much time for sightseeing/hiking, etc.

farnhamstj 03-08-2010 06:17 PM

I've done the white rim a couple on times by bicycle and truck. I made it in one tank of gas no problem. Martin is correct you need a permit to camp, but not to drive through. Easy drive unless it starts raining, then it's redclay festival. Even if you don't do the entire White rim, do Schaffer trail, it's spectacular.

You can purchase a guide book in Moab or online before you go. If it's your 1st time to Moab. Definatly plan a day at Arches NP. There is a 4x4 road on the way out that is kind of fun. Lots to see from the road and 1/2 mile hikes. Onion creek is fun trail too. Gemini bridges is pretty. The San Raffle Swell has a bunch of dirt road to cool places to explore. Check out Swasey Cabin and Lone Warrior rock art. When you get to Moab buy the LATITUDE 40 map, it's available in City Market and very good.

this site should give you some ideas too http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

Caribou Sandstorm 03-08-2010 10:32 PM

What about running the Kokopelli backward? Mostly dirt roads with the exception of Rose Garden Hill. Could take 2 nights or 3 if you want. Top of the World picture will be a favorite for years to come.

You also might have some company, as some have been kicking this idea around on the way home back to Denver.

The Rim is also an epic route.

Finally you could head into Beef Basin, as another option and check out some of the ruins. Camping spots all over the place and no one around for miles, usually.

rhyary 03-09-2010 02:03 PM

Idealy I would like to find a trail long enough to drive thru the desert camping along the way. Something scenic, long, 10/20mph, covering the desert.
Not necessary another 3 miles trail doing 5mph.
If I can find something that I can start at Moab and come out someplace on the way home that would be ideal.

I don't even know if this exist but I can dream, right?

bh4rnnr 03-09-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyary (Post 141771)
Idealy I would like to find a trail long enough to drive thru the desert camping along the way. Something scenic, long, 10/20mph, covering the desert.
Not necessary another 3 miles trail doing 5mph.
If I can find something that I can start at Moab and come out someplace on the way home that would be ideal.

I don't even know if this exist but I can dream, right?

You have lots of options, just depends on what direction and how remote you want to get.

White Rim is fun. Good trail for a East coaster, gets you into the thick of Desert Country while not being to far from town. Robbie myself and one other member from the FJ trail teams (sorry Robbie, forgot his name:o) did this trail in one day. Had breckfast at Moab Dinner, stopped at the Colorado River for a dip, had a long lunch and hiked a fun slot canyon.

Yellow Cat Country is lots of fun to explore. Easy and lots of mining history (Uranium, so it's your call when exploring the mines).

Canyonlands; Lots of options. Head west on I-70 then south from Green River (make sure to grab a burger at Ray's Tavern). Horseshoe, Maze and Doll House are within a days drive from Green River. Do note that the last 20 miles into the Maze and Doll House are Moderate to VDL (Vehicle Damage Likley) for a stock vehicle. The Maze and Doll House require permites. Best to call now if you want to go. The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy and his gang, used Spanish Bottom as a route to Ouray where miners would pay top dollers for horses, no questions asked.

Canyonlands cont: Beef Basin, E-Hill and Lockhart. This makes a great drive, with some technical driving. I will be honest that I have not done this all at once. Lockhart is fun, remote and a good way to get out of the city. If you do this from Moab, you'll end at 211 and have a few options. Canyonlands is due West, here you could do E-Hill and make your way through Boby's hole to Beef Basin. Or you could just skip E-Hill, Canyonloands and the many motorhomes cross Indian Creek and make your way to Beef Basin. Either way, great drive.

Book Cliffs and the San Rafael Swell: North of I-70, you have some options for explorin'. Got to be carefull though as the Indian Res is within the Book Cliffs. As far as the San Rafael Swell, it's due west of Green River, head North or South and have fun. Goblin Valley is in the Southern Portion of the Swell. The lone mountain range to the south are the Henry Mountains, I didnt memtion them as they may be still snowed in this time of year.

Some must reads before you come:

Desert Solitare: Edward Abby.
House of Rain: Craig Childs
Theres one other book, but i've lost the thread (Sorry have not read it), sounds to be a keeper. It's about Moab, one of Ed's friends wrote it. If you e-mail Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, he *should* know what i'm talkin about....

:beer::beer::beer:

wesintl 03-09-2010 07:50 PM

you can't get there the weekend before? plenty of folks then to help show you around...

rhyary 03-10-2010 12:53 PM

bh4rnnr,
Thanks for the info. It is a bit overwhelming but I will try to map the information you gave me into a plan. I have to translate it into:
May 3 - I am doing that
May 4 - I am doing this
May 5 - I am doing what?
May 6 - Driving home.

BTW - I still need a plan for Monday, Tue and Wed before Moab, but I figured enough people will show up before the event that I will just join someone that has car with no scratches. :-)