Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is 2m acceceptable sub for CB? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=12540)

farnhamstj 03-17-2010 07:03 PM

Is 2m acceceptable sub for CB?

One on the 100 guys was asking me if his Yaesu 2m is acceceptable or if he needs to buy a CB to pass inspection. He has a HAM license.

My next question, more a comment, Do we all intend to communicate by CB or 2m? Perhaps in an effort to be more inclusive let's keep the chatting heavier on CB. Just like the goal of the event is to mingle with other people, not show off in front of people we don't know.:thumb:

Hulk 03-17-2010 08:12 PM

A CB radio is required for Cruise Moab. Ham is not a replacement.

Trail run communications will mainly be by CB. The use for Ham will probably be mainly one trail run talking to another, or back to the base camp.

A handheld CB unit is acceptable, but we STRONGLY urge buying the 12volt cable so batteries don't go dead in the middle of a trail run.

Uncle Ben 03-17-2010 11:00 PM

CB's should always be in every rig with hams optional!

farnhamstj 03-18-2010 07:52 AM

That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask? Anyone use CB on the Prerun? I turned mine on for about 3 minutes all weekend. Some anoying dude from Florida didn't stop talking the entire time so I turned it off.

Uncle Ben 03-18-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farnhamstj (Post 142872)
That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask? Anyone use CB on the Prerun? I turned mine on for about 3 minutes all weekend. Some anoying dude from Florida didn't stop talking the entire time so I turned it off.

That right there is a huge problem with CB. You deal with it and while annoying you just accept it as life on the squawk box. When you get your ticket and find out how much cleaner the airwaves are it's hard to even want to turn the CB on but if you don't you ignore MOST of the other trail users out there.

rover67 03-18-2010 08:49 AM

We used the CB all day on Tip Toe.. still the standard for most wheelers i'd guess.

We also used the CB on Kane Creek some since the guys in front (not part of our group) were on CB.

We also used the ham a lot.

leiniesred 03-18-2010 08:49 AM

Cliffhanger trip used CB exclusively the entire time. We all had 2M rigs too.

I guess that isn't 100% true. Sometimes we just yelled out the window to each other.

RockRunner 03-18-2010 10:29 AM

On Poison spyder it was mostly ham. Two of us did not have the correct status and one did not have a ham at all. I really feel that the ham radios should only be used if necessary. CB should be the main form of communication on the trail, leaving people out of the conversation can lead to problems............IMHO

cruiseroutfit 03-18-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leiniesred (Post 142881)
...I guess that isn't 100% true. Sometimes we just yelled out the window to each other.

And sometimes the hand gestures were enough to get the point across :D

Fwiw we used CB all day on Chicken Corners too.