Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Spring Break in Moab (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=12690)

pmccumber 04-04-2010 03:50 PM

Spring Break in Moab

4 Attachment(s)
Yeah, it was Easter Jeep Safari. So you either ate at 4pm or 8pm. Just a madhouse.

Funny story, or at least funny to me. We were at AArchway Inn. They have a decent breakfast every AM and we were down there. So there are two guys, 50s but both had BLACK hair (READ: dyed). They also wore young dood jeans. Ok, good enough. But then their wives roll in. There isn't a human being in the world that doesn't do a double-take on these gals. White-tipped nails, blonder than any naturally occurring blonde, and augmented (think Pam Anderson). Low slung jeans too. These gals were at least 20 years their husbands junior. So I immediately quipped, "Now we know who is driving the hummers." My wife scolds me like she does every time I stereotype anyone, which is, sadly, quite often. But two days later she walks in and says, "You were right!" And this is not to disparage anyone with a young, "augmented" wife.

We did the loop hike in Arches in a snow storm and howling winds. We went and spent two days in Needles (I really like Needles). We went around E-Hill again during another crappy weather day. Also did Salt Creek on a SPECTACULAR day. There are some gorgeous trails and side canyons to be had there.

Here is a picture of me parked in front of the Castle Arch trail, Castle Arch, the Family at Fortress Arch, and my daughter singing from a perch in one of the side canyons.

wesintl 04-04-2010 04:28 PM

nice Paul, way to get me pumped for moab.

bigbluefj 04-05-2010 02:35 AM

Don't take this wrong but YOU SUCK !! 15 days and i can get my MOAB FIX!!!!

MDH33 04-05-2010 07:49 AM

Very cool. I thought the Salt Creek trail in Canyonlands was closed to vehicles? (or did you hike it?)

FJBRADY 04-05-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluefj (Post 145046)
15 days and i can get my MOAB FIX!!!!

Let the count down begin.....the pre-run took the edge off for me.

Oh joy I get to drive the 40 out to Moab, second time in 6 weeks.

pmccumber 04-05-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH33 (Post 145068)
Very cool. I thought the Salt Creek trail in Canyonlands was closed to vehicles? (or did you hike it?)

It is, to a degree. We did the drive down Horse Canyon about 8-10 miles. You need a permit to do it. Lots of sand and water and it wasn't until the last 1/4 mile you saw anything that might hit a diff.

We did drive over to Peekaboo, about a mile off the Horse Canyon route, down Salt Creek. We had to cross a spot with about 2' of water there.

Great family area. We were the only ones with permits that day. Pretty amazing.