Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   '64 FJ Build (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13140)

baja1d 05-26-2010 08:15 AM

'64 FJ Build

Here's the plan for my '64 FJ40: I'd like to keep the stock look but make a decent daily driver. My commute is roughtly 60 miles and 1/2 of it is through the mountains here in CO. I'm in the process of swapping axles as we speak to 1976's. So here's what else I plan to do:

1. 33" Tires
2. 3.70 Gears
3. 4-speed tranny
4. Keep 3-speed T/C but add an Orion if I can- Anybody know?
5. 2" lift w/ shakle reversal.
6. Add power steering
7. Drive the "F" until it dies and then swap in the "2F" I'm rebuilding.
8. Lock front and rear w/ ARB's
9. Add a full cage, seat belts, ARB style bumpers, and a winch.
10. Might put a soft top on.

So much for the stock look!!! Currently the she has a "home paint job" that kept the rust down but looks crappy. Once I've made the modifications I'm sure I'll be out of money. I'm hoping to drive her for awhile and work out the bugs. Once the FJ fund has been "refunded" I'd like to tear her down and do a frame off resto. Let me know what you think, all opinions welcome!!!

TIMZTOY 05-26-2010 09:58 PM

i might be parting out my 40 !! all of the specs are under "timz new toy" the older one..

wesintl 05-26-2010 10:03 PM

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics man pics. all these words... :o

baja1d 05-29-2010 03:12 PM

Pictures

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry, My internet was acting up @ the time of original post! I've also put the 3.73's on hold for awhile.

Uncle Ben 05-29-2010 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would not restore a '64! I love my '64 but the thought of original ball and claw axles course spine everything, remote turn signal switch trucker steering wheel, 1 bbl carb on a siamese port engine and 7.00-15 tires makes me cringe. If you want to keep the original look but have a fully drivable and capable vehicle thats a whole 'nuther aspect! :thumb: Best part of a '64 is the thick tub and the look. It will not rust out like a 70 something Cruiser and the old retro look is priceless....everything else on a '64 sucks! ;) ;) :bowdown: :zilla:

baja1d 05-30-2010 12:07 AM

I agree and the only thing that will probably be left on her is the tub and the look. However, I'd like to keep it Toyota.

Uncle Ben 05-30-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja1d (Post 151075)
I agree and the only thing that will probably be left on her is the tub and the look. However, I'd like to keep it Toyota.

I went off this quote: " Once the FJ fund has been "refunded" I'd like to tear her down and do a frame off resto." A restoration means "restoring" it to stock. My 40 has been rebuilt from the ground up several times. It is still 90.....well maybe 85% Toyota. It is in the midway of it's current morph but will still be that "85%" Toyota when done ready for the next morph. :rolleyes: Build it to meet you needs!

baja1d 04-07-2012 12:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Can't believe it's been nearly 2 years since I started this thread but there has been progress! Many thanks to Jeremy for letting me watch him build my cage. I'd like to say that I helped but I think that I was in the way more than assisting!!! The 2F is going in this week along with the H55, split case w/ parking brake drum attachment, and tilt column/power steering. In addition I'll be installing a 4" alcan lift and wheel spacers. Then it's back to Jeremy's for final weld on cage.

baja1d 04-07-2012 12:26 AM

BTW, anybody have a link to a 2F swap into an older 40? I'm not too concerned with the swap but I'd like to have something on hand if I hit a snag rather than searching for an answer.

Tommy the Cat 04-07-2012 10:35 AM

I have a set of 3.70s from an '87 FJ60 if you are interested. Just throwing it out there...