Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   96 FZJ80 check engine light (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13287)

girraffe 06-12-2010 03:36 PM

96 FZJ80 check engine light

hey yall does someone have a diagnostic reader?? I just got a 1996 FZJ80 and the check engine light is on. talke to the PO and he said he changed out the O2 sensor and changed the oil etc. and i have no idea what else to check. so if you know some one that has a reader please let me know. Id prefer not to get my butthole reamed out by the dealer...

nakman 06-12-2010 03:52 PM

Drive to AutoZone, they've got readers and can pull/clear the code for you.

corsair23 06-12-2010 09:49 PM

I have a Scangauge II if you want to come all the way down south...I can pull the codes but like Tim says, an Autozone etc. near you would be quicker

LARGEONE 06-13-2010 07:53 AM

X3 on the Checker, Autozone, etc. It's free, and you can do it yourself or have them read it for you. Clear the code and see if it comes back right away (depending on what the code is). Then, post up the code and someone can tell you what the likely cause is.

girraffe 06-13-2010 09:09 AM

well i went to checker and it wouldnt read. the plug they had was not as long as my diagnostics port. it fit on there but the plug did not have as many plugs as the port. ill by autozone and see what they have and take a picture.

coax 06-13-2010 09:36 AM

Just out of curiosity you were using the port in the cab of the cruiser and not the one in the engine bay right?

wesintl 06-13-2010 10:07 AM

if you want to come over and run the code i'll be here all day.

TIMZTOY 06-13-2010 10:34 AM

Any parts store will scan your computer for free. Autozone, checkers, pepboys, Advanced, possibly napa. But it has to be a 96 and newer. All of the obd2 ports have the same 16 pin connection (government mandate) if it couldn't read, it's problly a "link error" which could be several issues. No power to the link, either a fuse, or ECM fault. Granted the pocket scaners won't read in this instance. But if you pay for a code pull (most Shops are still free) they'll hook up there $5,000.00 scanner which supplys it's own power and should bypass the "link error" issue.

girraffe 06-13-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coax (Post 152787)
Just out of curiosity you were using the port in the cab of the cruiser and not the one in the engine bay right?

HA! no i was running it on the one in the engine bay... didnt know there was one inside... ill disconnect the battery, let the codes clear and check the one on the interior probably tomorrow. wesintl i got a party this afternoon for my daughter otherwise id be over there in a heartbeat. thanks man.

coax 06-13-2010 01:13 PM

Yea that threw me for a loop the first time I tried to check a code. :D There should be a little fuse pannel by drivers left knee. hth.

Corey