Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Ham & CB Radio Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The CO Connection needs our help (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13332)

Seldom Seen 06-18-2010 03:16 PM

The CO Connection needs our help

I spoke with John, at HRO, to day and the Colorado Connection needs our help. The old building, that houses the Breckinridge machine on Mt Baldy, needs to be torn down and removed. The new building was built on skids and needs to be skidded over aprox 20 feet so it sits on the old buildings footprint.

I know many of us got into ham so we would have access to this fantastic system for our backcountry adventures. For several years many of us have been using the connection for FREE. Now is the time to say “thanks” by giving back.

The project is tentatively scheduled to begin the 1st week of July, depending on snowpack, and continue until finished, so there will be several opportunities to help out. OTOH with the tenacity with which Rising Sun takes on a challenge, I could see this getting done in 1 long day.

I will stay in contact with John and post up when dates are confirmed.

Uncle Ben 06-18-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seldom Seen (Post 153270)
I spoke with John, at HRO, to day and the Colorado Connection needs our help. The old building, that houses the Breckinridge machine on Mt Baldy, needs to be torn down and removed. The new building was built on skids and needs to be skidded over aprox 20 feet so it sits on the old buildings footprint.

I know many of us got into ham so we would have access to this fantastic system for our backcountry adventures. For several years many of us have been using the connection for FREE. Now is the time to say “thanks” by giving back.

The project is tentatively scheduled to begin the 1st week of July, depending on snowpack, and continue until finished, so there will be several opportunities to help out. OTOH with the tenacity with which Rising Sun takes on a challenge, I could see this getting done in 1 long day.

I will stay in contact with John and post up when dates are confirmed.

Count me in for equipment and labor help when I can!

corsair23 06-18-2010 03:21 PM

Is the area accessible by vehicles? I'm thinking once the old building is down, you could winch the new building in place.

What's the old building constructed of?

Seldom Seen 06-18-2010 03:30 PM

Here is a pic of the current building

http://www.colcon.org/fig/breckenridge02.jpg

Yes the site is accessible by 4x4

John said he has been trying to locate a loader to drag the new building over, but thinks it might be winchable.

DaveInDenver 06-18-2010 03:34 PM

I'm headed over to HRO after work, anything need to be relayed?

nakman 06-18-2010 03:40 PM

Wait, they need help driving off road and winching a building? sweet.. yeah when there's more details, post it up! :thumb:

wesintl 06-18-2010 03:41 PM

corsair should be able to take care of it by himself with the m15 :eek:

Seldom Seen 06-18-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 153277)
I'm headed over to HRO after work, anything need to be relayed?

Tell him I got the ball rolling. Find out if he has any pics of the new building so we can start a plan of attack.

DaveInDenver 06-18-2010 05:52 PM

I mentioned it to John and Terry and got a bit more explanation and told them we'd be stoked to help. They were talking about needing a front loader to move the building, so will have to see the situation because we might not be able to drive all over creation, being that it's probably tundra, to rig this up with multiple vehicles. In any case they also need a ton of grunt work moving and reworking things, so just having bodies will be helpful. We do want to help them as much as possible because the Breck repeater is the east-west link of the system, so when it goes down the connection is broken between Denver/CoSprgs and Vail/GJ. No new pics at this time.

nuclearlemon 06-18-2010 06:12 PM

barring any dogs stuck in cars rules, me and my m15 are in.