Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Toyota reman front brake caliper for 95-97 Cruiser (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13571)

Jacket 07-19-2010 07:45 AM

Toyota reman front brake caliper for 95-97 Cruiser

Has anyone had luck finding a Toyota remanufactured front brake caliper for a 95-97 Cruiser? The guys at Boulder Toyota indicate that they are only available for the rear brakes, and front brakes up through 6/95? Mine is a 4/96, and I have no idea what the difference is between '95 and '96 brake caliper.

My driver side has one or two frozen pistons, and they are wearing out the outside of the rotor. I know that I can get a rebuild kit pretty cheap, but I'm lacking time and energy right now after rebuilding both knuckles, and wanted to take this truck to Camp Hale this weekend.

:mad: Any other suggestions?

DaveInDenver 07-19-2010 08:04 AM

Have you tried Checker/O'Reilly and NAPA?

O'Reilly shows rebuilt caliper from Beck-Arnley, Wagner and Cardone. I used the Raybestos rebuilt caliper and they work fine. The pads aren't as good as Toyota, but the price was so much cheaper than Toyota that you could buy them and still come a lot cheaper.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ts=15&sortBy=1

Jacket 07-19-2010 08:34 AM

I did check with Napa. I was shying away from them because of the core reqt - I don't want to give up my OEM brake calipers for their knock-offs. I guess I could just pay the core charge (+$60), and then rebuild the OEM brake caliper when I have more time....

DaveInDenver 07-19-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacket (Post 155894)
I did check with Napa. I was shying away from them because of the core reqt - I don't want to give up my OEM brake calipers for their knock-offs. I guess I could just pay the core charge (+$60), and then rebuild the OEM brake caliper when I have more time....

They are not knock-offs, at least the ones I got. All the stamps and emblems were TEQ and such. The Raybestos were even reman'ed in USA where Toyota does their reman work in Mexico. Whether or not the parts were exactly OE I dunno, but for 1/3rd the price with warranty it seemed like a OK bet. Anyway, what's to say the Toyota sourced reman stuff is necessarily original Aisin castings? Could be anything that have been stamped with a TEQ.

TIMZTOY 07-19-2010 09:31 AM

I've always used autozones rebuilt stuff and never hand any issues with them. All they do is rebuild the cores you give them a d repaint it. Odds are your goin to be getting a Toyota caliper that's rebuildlt by someone else. A d who really cares ? They all have lifetime warranty anyways. Because your only buying it once anyways. And it will stop you just as good as the over priced one.

rover67 07-19-2010 09:32 AM

you want some calipers to give them as cores? that might be a good route.

I have napa remans on my 60 and they have been a lot better than the Automoan ones I got that stuck badly.

Can you get a rebuild kit for them and just do it yourself? It's an easy job..

Dr. Schlegs 07-19-2010 09:52 AM

This is not a remaned approach, but maybe getting one that is undamaged from the Junk Yard. Ibris or yoda yard may have one, that can cover you for a few thousand miles until you can rebuild the caliber. Hell of a lot cheaper and more money in your cruiser fund pocket:dunno:

Jacket 07-19-2010 10:56 AM

Irbis is a good idea - too bad he's on the other side of the earth from me. I think I'll go with the auto parts store reman to get me back on the road, and then I can take my sweet time rebuilding the OEM caliper.

It's really the last thing I needed at the end of a long knuckle rebuild, but I'm better now. Thanks for the suggestions.:cheers:

wesintl 07-19-2010 11:02 AM

at least it's easy to replace a caliper later. save the brake bleed.

Jacket 07-19-2010 11:15 AM

I guess the question still unanswered is what is different about the front brake caliper for FZJ80's before 6/95 versus after 6/95? And why doesn't Toyota produce reman calipers for the later year FZJ80's?