Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   40 Series Windshield R&R (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13624)

PabloCruise 07-26-2010 02:08 PM

40 Series Windshield R&R

Any great resources out there (w/ pics)?

Someone kindly broke the windshield in my 40 on a Friday night/Saturday morning a few weeks back.

I know it is rumored to be ridiculously easy, but I started to remove the old windscreeen and I am just cracking the heck out of it. This is not instilling the confidence needed to install a new piece of glass...

Any tips or tricks I should know about using the rope trick to install a 40 windshield?

TIA,

timmbuck2 07-26-2010 02:18 PM

anyone up for a windshield replacing party? I could host at my place, get a few guys who need a new 40 windshield, and bribe a couple of experts to come over and school us newbs. I would offer up beer and BBQ...

Bruiser 07-26-2010 03:13 PM

I don't need my windshield replaced but would come over, watch, learn and talk shop.

RicardoJM 07-26-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmbuck2 (Post 156553)
anyone up for a windshield replacing party? I could host at my place, get a few guys who need a new 40 windshield, and bribe a couple of experts to come over and school us newbs. I would offer up beer and BBQ...

That would be cool.

I ran around with a cracked and pitted windshield for too long as I had read the threads about getting glass cut for $50 and DIY install. I gave it a bunch thought and research and in the end took it to the glass shop. Bottom line, I could not find the glass anywhere for less that $100 - coupled with an OEM gasket ($30) and the DIY path quickly approached the $150 or so a glass shop would charge. It is one of those things that once it was done, I couldn't rationalize why I let it go undone for so long.:D

nuclearlemon 07-26-2010 05:30 PM

not that bad, but need at least two people. silicone spray on the gasket helps out also. aftermarket gaskets that don't have the bends preformed make it much more difficult

TonkaToy 07-26-2010 11:25 PM

I have a good friend in the auto glass industry. I could see what price I can get on the cut glass, if anyone else is interested.

Hulk 07-26-2010 11:55 PM

Different model years have slightly different sized glass. It is not one size fits all.

nattybumppo 07-27-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmbuck2 (Post 156553)

I'm in!

Rzeppa 07-27-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PabloCruise (Post 156551)
Any great resources out there (w/ pics)?

Someone kindly broke the windshield in my 40 on a Friday night/Saturday morning a few weeks back.

I know it is rumored to be ridiculously easy, but I started to remove the old windscreeen and I am just cracking the heck out of it. This is not instilling the confidence needed to install a new piece of glass...

Any tips or tricks I should know about using the rope trick to install a 40 windshield?

TIA,

Hi TJ,

I installed a new windshield in my 71 a couple years back. First one I ever did; I asked my buddies down at the auto body shop a few blocks from my house for advice, and they ended up helping out through the whole process. They didn't charge me, but I bought them a 12 pack anyway. It wasn't super-hard, but there are definitely tricks that they taught me that made it much easier.

I bought a new OEM windshield from Stevinson. The price was good, (~$100), but it turned out to be wrong application, just about an inch too wide. I took it to a local glass shop to get it cut down. Turns out there is a trick to that too, and after I saw how it is done I said "I could'a done that!".

If you have to cut the glass, you score it in the normal way you'd score any glass with a glass cutter. You have to score both sides (Safety glass is plastic sandwiched between glass on each side). Then you pour methanol on it and light it. This uniformly softens the plastic inside so the glass doesn't crack. Then using pliers, you break the glass where you scored it. Then smooth the edges with a belt sander.

On to the install itself:

I used a new OEM gasket. If you re-use your old gasket, obviously YMMV. Ige suggested silicone; the body shop guys use lots of glass cleaner as lubricant and it works great and leaves no residue. Yes, you MUST use the rope, and I was surprised at the large diameter needed. Around 1/4" IIRC. Use nylon rope (not sissel or PP) so it can deform and is smooth. You use it to pull the flap of gasket into the frame, it needs to go all the way around. I suppose you could do it by yourself, but two makes it SO easy. One on the inside pulling the rope and one on the outside positioning the glass/gasket assembly and pushing the glass/gasket into the frame. Once it is set, you will want to do some pushing from one side and the other to get the flanges of the gasket properly seats over the inside of the frame. Again, LOTS of glass cleaner as lubricant.

Your 78 does not have the locking strip my 71 does, so I won't go into the details of that part of the install.

You can do it! Take pictures and submit to Toyota Trails! Good luck and happy cruisin'!

60wag 07-27-2010 08:25 PM

I've always wanted to install a windshield using the rope but never had guts to pay for a piece of glass and cross my fingers.... glass coverage on the insurance to pay for the install doesn't help either. I like Jeff's description. Go for it. What's the worst that could happen, you have to buy another piece of glass. Taking on an engine rebuild is a way more expensive risk than a windshield.