Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Ham & CB Radio Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Guess What - I Think I'm Gonna Get a New Toy (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13726)

Bruiser 08-08-2010 07:35 PM

Guess What - I Think I'm Gonna Get a New Toy

Well, after my wife saw first hand the usefulness of having a HAM in case of an emergency (see the Bill Moore Lake Post Rally thread for more details), she is encouraging me to get a HAM. So, I am going to start reading and monitoring the threads in here more often. If any of you have any advice, suggestions or warning I would certainly welcome them.

Justin

FJBRADY 08-08-2010 10:06 PM

Right on! There are on line tests you can take and retake as much as you want in order to study, but I do not have the link. Hopefully some one will post up the link.

RockRunner 08-08-2010 10:18 PM

Read all the posts in the ham section you will learn a ton then set a budget and your priorities of things you want in a radio. Mine ended up being able to monitor two bands, 8800. Great rig worth the money.

Bruiser 08-08-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRunner (Post 158161)
Read all the posts in the ham section you will learn a ton then set a budget and your priorities of things you want in a radio. Mine ended up being able to monitor two bands, 8800. Great rig worth the money.

I was looking at that one at this link (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ers-guide.html). The dual band seems like more than I will need but I do like the idea of something that I can grow into. I also like the idea of the relocatable face since room in my FJ40 is limited. Anyway, still lots of stuff to read and learn about so it will take me a bit to make up my way.

corsair23 08-08-2010 11:44 PM

I think most guys with 40s will suggest you go with something more well suited for a FJ40 environment like the FT2900. While I really like my FT8800 I don't think I'd consider putting on in a 40. You want something probably a little more rugged unless you have a really good protected place to put the main radio unit and a fairly protected spot for the face plate.

MDH33 08-09-2010 06:09 AM

all good suggestions so far.

I bought the 8800 for my 40 and I regret it. I don't use the dual channels at all and the 8800 uses a fan to cool which is not suitable for the dusty interior of my 40. It was more than twice the cost of the 2900, which is what I should have gone with in the first place. I'm planning on getting a 2900 for the 40 and moving the 8800 into my other rig. :thumb:

Bruiser 08-09-2010 06:31 AM

Thanks, great suggestions. Even my radio, which sits in a locked center console is getting pretty beat up. I do have the spot where the factory radio sits to put a HAM. I was saving that for some other stuff one day but since it is not that day yet, I can cross that bridge when I get there.

Justin

RicardoJM 08-09-2010 07:10 AM

I run the basic 2 meter rig in my 40. It is a harsh environment in my 40 and the most complicated maintenance my radio needs is to wipe off the dust so that I can see the screen. The features and capabilities of dual band and cross repeat would be nice to have, but the basic 2 meter rig running on high power has worked just fine for me.

nakman 08-09-2010 08:16 AM

Great news Justin! I'll side with the more simple rig for your 40, FT-2900r or even the FT-1900r. You can always sell and trade up later if you decide you really need more features, but you don't have to buy a super fancy radio right off the bat, just your first radio.. ;)

Jacket 08-09-2010 08:29 AM

I agree. My FT-2800 (predecessor to the 2900) is perfect for the 40 - durable, simple and functional. Fits nicely in the radio housing if you don't need an FM radio.