Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Drive shaft work for my 40 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13798)

PhatFJ 08-17-2010 04:55 PM

Drive shaft work for my 40

Hi all, I just picked up a 1993 350ci with TBI injection that I am going to drop into the 40 in lieu of the existing 327. At the same time, I am going to get things set up right in the engine compartment and re-locate the motor and mounts. With this said, I will be needing the drive shafts reworked. Any thoughts on where I should take them, or should I consider replacing these (I think stock) shafts with new ones to handle the increased power and torque? Thanks in advance for the advice!!!! :)

Brian

Chris 08-17-2010 06:52 PM

Bill's Englewood Driveshaft Inc‎
3364 South Broadway,
Englewood, CO‎
(303) 781-0554‎

PhatFJ 08-17-2010 06:59 PM

Thank you Chris! I appreciate the help..

74fj40 08-17-2010 07:06 PM

I second englewood!

DaveInDenver 08-17-2010 08:30 PM

I was just over at Englewood a couple of weeks ago, Bill rebuilt my rear driveshaft. Solid guy and shop.

corsair23 08-18-2010 12:53 AM

Anyone know what the average turn around time is? Yeah, I should just call huh? :hill:

I've picked up a vibration that I thought was coming from loose wheel bearings up front...Well, those are tight now and I'm still getting a vibration :( - Next on the list is to pull the front drive shaft and see if the noise goes away - it is VERY speed specific in that I only the vibration/noise between 65-70mph, mostly on decel.

I thought it was odd that one day the vibration/noise was just there but probably par for the course.

DaveInDenver 08-18-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair23 (Post 159317)
Anyone know what the average turn around time is? Yeah, I should just call huh?

Call him, but the week after July 4th I dropped mine off on Tuesday and he quoted Friday. That was complete retube, new u-joints, clearance & rebuild of the double carden, new splines. Mine had a twist in it I guess from the Rubicon and that was throwing it all off balance.

Air Randy 08-18-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatFJ (Post 159251)
Hi all, I just picked up a 1993 350ci with TBI injection that I am going to drop into the 40 in lieu of the existing 327. At the same time, I am going to get things set up right in the engine compartment and re-locate the motor and mounts. With this said, I will be needing the drive shafts reworked. Any thoughts on where I should take them, or should I consider replacing these (I think stock) shafts with new ones to handle the increased power and torque? Thanks in advance for the advice!!!! :)

Brian

Depends on what you need done. If you are just changing the length go to the place in Englewood or Rocky Mtn Driveline.

Is your front axle cut & turned and/or is your rear pinion rotated upwards towards your T-Case output? Some times folks do those things but don't convert their DS to a double cardan joint and you will get vibration and premature U joint failure. Both of the outfits above can also do double cardan conversions.

If you want to go to a heavier duty DS (not a bad idea with a V8) go online and check out Tom Woods Custom shafts. His prices are competitive with the local places but he can build you a shaft that uses 1310 or 1350 spicer U joints that will give you a 30-40% increase in strength over the Toyota stuff. He also makes extreme high angle shafts if you need it.

Rzeppa 08-18-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74fj40 (Post 159269)
I second englewood!

I 3rd Englewood!

Rzeppa 08-18-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair23 (Post 159317)
Anyone know what the average turn around time is? Yeah, I should just call huh? :hill:

When I had both my front and rear done, they did it while i waited, couple hours. I called in advance to find out their schedule, and sorta made an appointment. It was a fascinating process to watch. Those guys are craftsman!