Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Grease Gun? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13852)

corsair23 08-24-2010 05:30 PM

Grease Gun?

Ok...Something simple :)

What grease guns do you guys have/use that seem to work well? I'm tired of an oil change turning into a 3 hour adventure because it takes me 2+ hours to grease the drive line. Why does it take 2+ hours? Because I spend most of that fighting the stupid grease guns because they'll pump a squirt of two of grease and then lose all "pressure" until I take them apart and fight with the spring etc. to get them back together :rant:

Surely there are grease guns out there that don't cost 3 figures and will pump grease long enough to grease the 6 fittings on an 80 :confused:

wesintl 08-24-2010 06:04 PM

I use the pistol grip style so you can use the gun in one hand and pump and the other hand hold the hose on the nipple.. I know, sound kinky. You know how we roll in the ranch :rolleyes:

subzali 08-25-2010 08:09 AM

Jeff, I had to go to the auto parts store and buy three grease guns in order to get two that worked - one for my moly joints and one for my lithium joints. I think the OEM brand that Autozone sells is what worked for me, but the NAPA one that I had was doing what you described.

HTH,

rover67 08-25-2010 09:26 AM

I've been through a handful of them also. The one I have now is the pistol grip type and is the first one out of like 3 that works reliably. I have no idea where I got it, but it sounds like some just don't work well.

I think it's an Automoan one as well.

SteveH 08-25-2010 09:43 AM

The pistol-grip ones (~$26-30 at NAPA or chain joints) work well. They also work in tight areas where the big lever kind don't work (where you don't have access to fully pull the lever away from the barrel to start a pumping stroke).

I have an old 'big lever' kind that is a dedicated 'knuckle filler' grease gun, since clearance isn't an issue. The pistol grip ones are well worth it. Be sure it has an air bleed screw near the very top.

Dr. Schlegs 08-25-2010 10:01 AM

I have a heavy grease from my Dad. The gun itself weights about 5lbs empty and I have not had any issues, with it other than it is a beast to control. I have to use one hand to hold the nipple and than do this thigh master thing with the tube and the pump handle. Also it does not accept a tube you need to load it, which can be messy.

The other thing I have noticed is that the grease tubes have different sizes. Some manufactures don't make the grease in a tube that will fit a larger gun.

AxleIke 08-25-2010 10:12 AM

I've got a Napa one. Its great.

Better still is my dad's craftsman pneumatic. I think they run 50 ish.

TIMZTOY 08-25-2010 10:17 AM

I've got a tiny mini tube pistol grip, don't really like it but it's easier to maneuver. I prefer the numatic ones.

corsair23 08-25-2010 01:28 PM

:hill:

Glad to know it isn't just me...I was starting to doubt my skills to master a stupid grease gun :)

Seems that all of the hand operated ones have mixed to poor reviews...The pneumatic ones get slightly better reviews. Not sure I want to get out and fire up the air compressor everytime I want to grease some zirc fitting though :rolleyes:

Apparently the battery operated grease guns get the best reviews in general but are :eek: price wise...

I've got both a pistol grip style with air bleeder at the top (with Mobil 1 red) and the Dr. Schlegs "thigh master" type (with moly grease) and neither of them are worth a $%^&

Maybe I'll give the Napa version a try :thumb:

Dr. Schlegs 08-25-2010 01:38 PM

I helps if you're smarter than the grease gun. :lmao: