Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   middle st. vrain and coney flats (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13950)

simps80 09-05-2010 01:23 PM

middle st. vrain and coney flats

3 Attachment(s)
After the NSTBC breakfast on Friday John (snowrun) and I ran up canyon and did the Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats trails.

It was a beautiful day, perfect weather, and after filling our stomachs with delicious breakfast and spending some time with excellent company, the trails were a great way to spend a few hours.

It started with a bit of trouble, leaving eggcredible, john's truck wouldn't shift into reverse, so axleike, john and I got him shoved out of the spot ... all the forward gears worked....

After a few minutes of driving around the transmission started cooperating, so we decided to go ahead and go for it ...

We started with Middle St. Vrain and were surpirsed to see the very first obstacle was a little tougher than we thought. We got through it, then watched a brand new cherokee go down through it in the opposite direction and tear up his running board and back bumper...

Coney Flats splits off from the st vrain trail about 1/4 a mile from the end of st vrain so we finished up st. vrain, parked, took some pictures, walked around a bit, there's a great bridge and some nice spots at the top.

We then turned around and started Coney Flats ... this was quite a bit tougher than st. vrain. It was a fun challenge. had to lock the rear in a couple spots to get through ... but nothing that picking a good line couldn't solve.

I think one of the best parts of these trails was all the water crossings, the lake at the top of coney flats was pretty low, about 3/4 tire at its deepest, but still cool.

enough words,
below are some pics

Towards the beginning of st vrain there was actually a spot on the trail that was deeper than the lake at the top of coney flats.

Attachment 20645

Attachment 20648

top of st. vrain from the bridge crossing the st. vrain:

Attachment 20649

simps80 09-05-2010 01:27 PM

coney flats portion

4 Attachment(s)
as said, coney flats was a bit tougher, a lot of fun !!

Attachment 20650

Attachment 20651

lake at the top

Attachment 20652

ubiquitous 'group shot' albeit a group of 2

Attachment 20653

Snowrun 09-05-2010 03:56 PM

Here is a video of Simps80 crossing the lake.
It was a great trip. I loved all of the many water crossings. I feel bad for the guy in the Jeep he did some pretty expensive damage.
I probably shouldn't have wheeled the rig that day after having the issues with the transmission. Then again it does say Landcruiser on the back.... I did finally get it to throw a 62 and a 63 code so I pulled the pan on the transmission and the solenoids are not functioning as they should. Guess I will be giving Cdan a call this week.

Uncle Ben 09-05-2010 04:07 PM

Vary :cool:! It looks like a whole lot more fun than what I did! :( Maybe next NSTBC should be planned with a redo!

cougar337 09-05-2010 05:55 PM

Those are some awesome photos! Looks like an great day and a beautiful trip. Hopefully next year or sometime soon we will be up there with you rockin' the 80 crowd :D

Snowrun 09-05-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 161280)
Vary :cool:! It looks like a whole lot more fun than what I did! :( Maybe next NSTBC should be planned with a redo!

We should. It is so close to Boulder it will only take a couple of hours too.

AxleIke 09-05-2010 06:58 PM

What happened with the tranny? Looks like you went up, did it all get worked out?

Snowrun 09-05-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxleIke (Post 161293)
What happened with the tranny? Looks like you went up, did it all get worked out?

Once the engine/tranny got up to temp it drove just fine so we thought we would take our chances. On the trail we didn't have any issues with it. However, the next day it didn't want to move more than 2mph in drive or reverse. I pulled the codes and it pointed to the S1 and S2 solenoids. I pulled them out and S1 when closed would only close a small amount and S2 was better but still leaked. I am still confused on how it actually knew there was a problem with the solenoids because the were in the specified resistance range..

FJBRADY 09-06-2010 11:20 AM

Those are fun trails. Pictures look great, thanks for sharing!