Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   broke 2 wheel studs.... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14123)

nakman 09-26-2010 09:17 PM

broke 2 wheel studs....

3 Attachment(s)
I'm guessing a tire shop ran these down to 150 pounds or something... all 5 were a real bear to break free with the OEM tire iron.. I also think the angle of the iron relative to the stud may have contributed, but wouldn't have been as big of a deal if the lugs weren't so dang tight. I dunno.. what's odd is they broke free, went about a half a turn, then got tighter, not looser...

I got the spare on, but with only 3 out of 5 I called AAA... especially since they were right next to each other. Driving it down the street tomorrow AM though to a Chevy dealer here in Gunnison.. hope they have metric sockets!

nakman 09-26-2010 09:19 PM

what's interesting is the one that blew has a date of 2000... the other tires, including the spare, are all 2006. I don't get it.. shame on me for not checking but they are all the same brand, same wear, look every bit like a matching set.

corsair23 09-26-2010 11:18 PM

Bummer Tim :( - Glad it wasn't worse with the blow out!

You hear stories about tire stores selling old tires in with a set to dump them. I'm guessing the PO didn't rotate in the original spare with a new set of tires given the rig is a '99 so I'd be guessing a not so up and up tire dealer stuck on an old tire :(

60wag 09-27-2010 06:30 AM

Do you know what the pressure was in the tire that failed? Did it chew up the rim? Good to see it was a rear tire and not a front one.

RicardoJM 09-27-2010 07:00 AM

Looks like no one was hurt and everything is ok. Hmmm - that is interesting. I took the UZJ100 (a month or so ago) in to have the tire rotated and they snapped a stud. It was a bit inconvenient as it occurred at the end of the day and the shop needed the truck for a day to replace it.

Jacket 09-27-2010 09:03 AM

That sucks on multiple levels.

Maybe there was a previous blow/flat, and a PO replaced just that tire, and then some how it worked its way into a 5 tire rotation? I guess you can't leave out even the most innocuous of things when baselining a new rig.

So did you wheel the 100? :cool:

DaveInDenver 09-27-2010 09:08 AM

Yikes!

Man, I'd be worried to the point that I'd probably replace all 20 studs. It would bug me until I did.

Whoever thought 5 lugs was better than 6 at Toyota should have to replace these for you. Not that a few percent less load on each can solve a numbnut overtorquing, but losing two of 6 would worry me less.

nakman 09-27-2010 09:30 AM

I agree Dave, if we had 4 out of 6 we may have tried to drive home.. I at least would have driven to Gunny instead of wait 3.5 hours for a tow truck... :(

So it's torn down at a tire & service shop, guy has studs on order but can't get them until tomorrow. I have called virtually everywhere and have only managed to find 4 in Montrose at the Toyota dealer.. I bought them, along with 4 new lug nuts, also all they had. Some friends of ours are driving home from Ouray today (they stayed an extra night) and we're hoping they can scoop them up for us, but they haven't called back yet. If it goes another 30 minutes or so we may just rent a car... then I'd drive down to Montrose to get the studs, then back to Gunny so Michele can take the kids home.. we both had to call in today but she needs to get back in a big way.

nakman 09-27-2010 11:07 AM

All is on track with the lug delivery.. hoping to be on the road this afternoon. Fingers are crossed!

corsair23 09-27-2010 12:22 PM

Good luck and drive safely!!