Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ARB Questions - Air Leak (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14143)

rover67 09-28-2010 08:57 PM

ARB Questions - Air Leak

Hi Guys and Gals,

So the good news is my rear diff gears look really nice. Looks like the setup was good.

Bad news is a left rear axle seal replacement turned into an axle replacement and discovery of a rear air locker leaking air. When I actiated it to pull off the lug nuts on the side that was in the air I noticed a puff of air out of the middle section where the spyders are and a slight air gurgling. After the locker engaged there was no air leak.

Is this common? it seems to be leaking only when the piston moves to lock it. also leaking from the inner portion of it... not the air ring that inputs the air.

Also.... the Poly pros I guess were the bad batch. the left rear was so worn at the bearing I had to use a sledge hammer to get it out. The bearing is trashed. Right side looks OK.

Tomorrow I call poly pro. we'll see what they do seeing as these are axles I bought from somebody else second hand. New, but second hand.

So, should I pull the diff and tear it apart too?

Crash 09-28-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rover67 (Post 163445)
Hi Guys and Gals,

So the good news is my rear diff gears look really nice. Looks like the setup was good.

Bad news is a left rear axle seal replacement turned into an axle replacement and discovery of a rear air locker leaking air. When I actiated it to pull off the lug nuts on the side that was in the air I noticed a puff of air out of the middle section where the spyders are and a slight air gurgling. After the locker engaged there was no air leak.

Is this common? it seems to be leaking only when the piston moves to lock it. also leaking from the inner portion of it... not the air ring that inputs the air.

Also.... the Poly pros I guess were the bad batch. the left rear was so worn at the bearing I had to use a sledge hammer to get it out. The bearing is trashed. Right side looks OK.

Tomorrow I call poly pro. we'll see what they do seeing as these are axles I bought from somebody else second hand. New, but second hand.

So, should I pull the diff and tear it apart too?

Good luck dealing with poly. Driver side poly axle on my truck was trashed like yours and getting anything out of them at all was a major pain. Same thing, trashed driver side after a short time, happened to another Slee customer who bought the axles new from him but didn't replace the wheel bearings at the time of axle install. Poly wouldn't replace a thing for that person under warranty since the bearings weren't new. My bearings were new with the poly axle install and the driver axle lasted fewer than 5,000 miles. Axle had a gouge/groove in it over 1/8" deep and poly made me pay for all shipping to and from them and that was only after Christo had a long phone conversation with the owner to get them to replace the bad axle. I've replaced the rear diff oil half a dozen times now and am still getting sparkly crap out each time. Probably looking at a new ARB seal before too long and I'm not holding my breath that the replacement poly axle is any better than the first pos. Should have stuck with the OEMs with 200,000 miles on them.
Good luck.

rover67 09-28-2010 09:28 PM

Thanks for telling your story Steve... not very motivating, but good to know.

It was my drivers side axle that also went... Same 1/8" groove. I too installed new bearings at the same time I did the axles.

I am VERY tempted to go back to the stock axles.. Did you keep the passenger side axle that you got the first time or get them to replace that one as well?

I am wondering if the metal messed up the seal in my ARB. Bummer.

I probably have 10k or so miles on the axles..

rover67 09-29-2010 08:38 AM

Pics

3 Attachment(s)
some shots:

Crash 09-29-2010 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Long side in all three cases of poly axle failures that I'm aware of and I'd bet there are more stories like ours. The first person that Slee Off Road talked to at poly said they were aware of the problem and then when Christo talked to the owner of poly, that person claimed that he was unaware of any problems. ;) It can be seen from the pic of my axle that the problem is consistent. Both of my poly axles were sent back for inspection and a new long side and the original short side were returned to me without any word as to what the problem was and the new long side didn't have the poly sticker installed on the hub side and looked as if it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time. Not very reassuring about its long-term worth but the OEM axles had already been sold to Ige so the polys were reinstalled. The first indication that the axle had gone south was diff lube running down the inside of the tire. So much for bullet-proofing the rear axle to match the Long-ed front axle. :mad:

Jacket 09-29-2010 09:07 AM

Wow - that sucks. Do you have your old OEM axles to use in the interim?

AxleIke 09-29-2010 09:30 AM

Marco, you shouldn't have any leaks. I have taken an ARB apart, and it is very simple. You can get all the guts you need from ARB. Good news is that you won't have to mess with the pinion, which should allow you to simply reset the backlash and call it good. You will have to remove the ring gear.

Pull the locker apart, and see if you can clean up the piston ring. Its quite large and flat. You should be able to easily move it in and out. Stick it back together and just test it on the bench. If you still have issues, give ARB a call, and they can ship out out new stuff pronto.

The one I took apart had a gear failure and the locker had bits of metal in it. The piston ring was scored. New one from ARB and it was good as new.

Air Randy 09-29-2010 10:09 AM

I would call ARB first to find out if that is normal operation since you're getting a puff of air on activation but it isn't leaking once it locks up.

60wag 09-29-2010 10:45 AM

Those axles aren't hard enough to have needle bearings rolling on them. Like the Long's birfs, it appears that they sacrificed surface hardness to gain some strength. I'd go back to OE unless they can prove that they have it fixed. If you'd like to measure the hardness on a Brinell gauge, let me know.

rover67 09-29-2010 11:54 AM

Just called ARB, holy cow their tech support is impressive. Got a real person on the line in like a minute.

Anyways, they guy basically said that what I was was probably gear oil and air being displaced by the piston as it moved, he said run it.

He also said that my gear oil out the solenoid issues are clogged breathers. I rerouted them a few weeks ago so maybe that'll address that.

Now to call Poly Pro.