Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Photography Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Sony NEX3 - any advice? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14573)

60wag 11-28-2010 04:28 PM

Sony NEX3 - any advice?

My 15yo daughter has requested a camera for Christmas. We spent some time playing with the assortment on compact point-n-shoot units but she gravitated to the Sony NEX3. It's more money (550$) but it appears to be a substantial camera. I figure if she loses interest in it, I'll put it to good use.

Any advice regarding this model or others in this range would be greatly appreciated.

Also - my daughter will be taking a b&w film class next semester at school. My older daughter also took the class, (plus several followup classes) and loved it. It definitely teaches them the basics of operating a manual 35mm camera, processing the film and making prints in a darkroom.

RockRunner 11-28-2010 06:31 PM

Wow that is pretty cool, I did not know they still had B&W photo classes. Hopefully she will stay interested in it, photography is a great way to express yourself or even communicate.

As for the camera I have no idea, got a D20 with all the lenses and quit looking $$$$$

nuclearlemon 11-28-2010 08:14 PM

the nex3 is interesting looking, but seems like a lot of money for a glorified point and shoot. on the positive side, it's a sony...i've had great luck with sony and love my a330

Hulk 11-28-2010 09:51 PM

Here's a very in-depth review from DPreview of the Sony NEX.

In the NYTimes, David Pogue says nice things about this camera.

If she is serious about photography, I'd go with a true SLR for all the manual stuff. The Sony NEX is a hybrid.

If you like the hybrid camera, you might also consider the Canon S95, loved by David Pogue. It's small and very nice. I'm personally a huge fan of the Lumix LX3, which has recently been replaced by the LX5. DPreview has a brand new comparison of the Canon S95, the Lumix LX5 and Nikon P7000. I can't say enough good things about the Lumix LX3.

corsair23 11-28-2010 11:17 PM

I don't anything about this particular Sony but I was going to warn you about Sony's love for their odd memory sticks (Pro Duo) until I read:

Quote:

For cost-effective, convenient storage and sharing of your images, the camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ and SD/SDHC media (Class 4 or higher recommended). (Memory card is required. All are sold separately.)
That removes one of my biggest complaints about Sony cameras :thumb:

CardinalFJ60 11-29-2010 06:42 AM

nice camera

I haven't played around with the Sony, but a friend has the Lumix GF1...it's really nice. easy controls, nice back LCD panel and takes nice photos.

What I've learned in this category of camera, is they all take great pictures, have about the same lenses and access. etc. I think it comes down to post sale support, ease of use/how intuitive you feel the camera is to use.

BTW, this is a really cool camera technology.

rover67 11-29-2010 09:14 AM

I did a lot of picture taking with a Panasonic DMZ-ZS3 side by side with a Leica D-Lux 4 over the past few weeks. I have to say that the Leica was really nice because it went to f/2.0 where as the Panasonic only went to f/3.8. I know that that model panasonic is not the best, but it is cheaper than these other options.

I think the camera Matt has compares pretty closely to the D-lux 4 and the new Panasonic LX5 seems like it's the same camera as Leica's D-Lux 5. The downside for me was that the D-Lux 4 doesn't have near the zoom of that DMZ-ZS3, but I don't know if that bothers me too much. Looks like the LX5 gets a little more zoom.

Anyways, I guess what I am saying in a long drawn out way is that the LX3-LX5 cameras are pretty sweet. I am sure that Sony gets there on aperture since it has interchangeable lenses... but If I want something with interchangeable lenses it is going to be a full bodied SLR that takes any lens I can get anywhere.

Then, this past Monday I was at a case where one of the guys had that cannon S95... I was like "holy smokes.. THAT little thing goes to f/2.0?" May be a nice one to consider.

60wag 11-29-2010 12:36 PM

Thanks, good info.